Author Topic: What does PRODUCED BY: DR. DRE mean?  (Read 998 times)

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:What does PRODUCED BY: DR. DRE mean?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2003, 01:40:41 AM »
the producer is the coach of a team, like phil jackson, don nelson, pat riley, bill parcels ect.

you are not a producer if you grab a keyboard and and make a 3 layered beat

this is how production works
in rock n roll

the band hires/is arranged with/asks a producer that is the best that money can buy and will make their records the best they can be. the producer does the WHOLE album not just a song or 2. Most of the ideas about a record/song come from the producer, and the muscians he/she works with use their talents to make those ideas realities. for example rick ruben was going through a some of anthony keidus's poetry, he stumbled across  "under the bridge" and convinced anthony to sing it . rick ruben then went to john and said why don't you add the riff you were messing with earlier to it BUT slow down the timing and add this intro  (rick ruben then hums or whistles  a little melody out and john plays it out), then rick ruben has the drums come in after the chorus, then at the end of the song adds a choir. basically rick ruben becomes the 5th member of the chili peppers and becomes the leader  and dictates (harmoniousl with the artist) how certain ideas should be to fullfill their best potential. now an artist can self producer themselves like a metallica or led zeppelin. but the same thing happens  a leader arises and dictates harmoniously how certain things should sound, like jimi page would say to robert plant hey man when i end this guitar solo for stairway to heaven you should speed up the tempo and then goes up to john bonahm and goes hey hit the snare twice here  after Rob sings this lick........then they do it and do it til its right

in classical music the composer, who usually only knows 1 or 2 instruments writes out musical notes for an orchestra that can have up to 50 instruments(this is why knowing musical notes is important if your a producer A minor is universal with every instrumet when written down. ok lets take Yanni for example, he only knows 2 instruments the piano and the guitar. but has violins and all that shit with him on stage, now how he produces them is quit elementry , he does it all on guitar and writes itdown and aranges those notes to a designated instrument . and then   when all the notes join together it's a symphonic.

in rap

in rap you get the title producer if you make a 3 note song that repeats not even a whole bar for 3-5 minutes. guess what that's not producing. what dre does is enlist a number of musicians and the pattern hasn't changed . he always gets a bass player , a keybord player and a percusionist. he sits down with them all and says look here guys i want this. from you, this from you and this from you. and has them do the certain chore over and over again until that bass line he hummed to collin wolfe is perfect. until he and whoever his keyboardest is finds that perfect counter melody. until his drums are crisp and are in sync with the bass and form a good rhythem section. to me that's the summit of artistry right there.

it's well obvious half of you don't know what you're talking about and that's fine, but dont come in here bashing dre, then praising some fool that doesn't know what he's doing making elementry monkey music

the thing dre does with the keyboardist, the drumm progrqammer etc etc, a guy like fred wreck does by himself... so how can fred wreck not be a producer??

producer - someone who supervises the making and presentation of a show/track

so by definition, dre is a producer, fred wreck is a producer since he supervices his own work, IM a producer....

basicly, anybody who either "makes" a beat or conducts a beat may be called a producer

min0rity

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2003, 10:03:28 AM »
oh here we go again = ibo and bigjakedog

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2003, 03:05:00 PM »

the thing dre does with the keyboardist, the drumm progrqammer etc etc, a guy like fred wreck does by himself... so how can fred wreck not be a producer??

so by definition, dre is a producer, fred wreck is a producer since he supervices his own work, IM a producer....

basicly, anybody who either "makes" a beat or conducts a beat may be called a producer

when did i say fred wreck wasn't a producer, yes he is but he's not as good as dre

yeah that what a producer is, and if you want to think your a GOOD produce then hey whatever man

not just making a beat makes you a producer, like trauma said, look at mr. loc's post dude is dead on

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2003, 03:19:57 PM »

when did i say fred wreck wasn't a producer, yes he is but he's not as good as dre

yeah that what a producer is, and if you want to think your a GOOD produce then hey whatever man

not just making a beat makes you a producer, like trauma said, look at mr. loc's post dude is dead on

i never said that you said that fred wreck aint a producer... why are you putting word in my mouth?

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2003, 03:37:31 PM »

i never said that you said that fred wreck aint a producer... why are you putting word in my mouth?

my bad i thouht you were putting words in my mouth

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2003, 04:16:54 PM »

my bad i thouht you were putting words in my mouth

i actually agreed with the bigger part of your post..(for once)

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2003, 05:55:40 PM »
Jake strate trippin......It don't matter what I-BO is workin with......That nigga can Produce a beat from start 2 finish and he's damm nearly on some heavyweight status wit some of his shit......

Also, ur explaining too much, basically rambling......Someone like FredWreck or Khayree are all-around real producers......
Dre is more like a director......But ofcourse he gets tha production credit......

Here's an example......I produce some bullshit but "My" beats sound way better when I "direct" em......Like one time, I made a melody wit a Triton and showed I-BO and told him exactly how I wanted tha beat & directed him towards it......Shit sounds HELLA dope......I'm bout 2 copyright it this week and post it......

Anywayz, Let's just agree that people like Dre aint All-Around producers......Cuz an All-Around producer has 2 actually MAKE tha beat......Not just direct it......But dre's direction & final touches are defenitly top notch......But let's not forget about people like Mike Elizondo, cuz they tha muthafucaz behind da scenes that's actually makin it happen......nahmean

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2003, 06:05:43 PM »
Jake strate trippin......It don't matter what I-BO is workin with......That nigga can Produce a beat from start 2 finish and he's damm nearly on some heavyweight status wit some of his shit......

Also, ur explaining too much, basically rambling......Someone like FredWreck or Khayree are all-around real producers......
Dre is more like a director......But ofcourse he gets tha production credit......

Here's an example......I produce some bullshit but "My" beats sound way better when I "direct" em......Like one time, I made a melody wit a Triton and showed I-BO and told him exactly how I wanted tha beat & directed him towards it......Shit sounds HELLA dope......I'm bout 2 copyright it this week and post it......

Anywayz, Let's just agree that people like Dre aint All-Around producers......Cuz an All-Around producer has 2 actually MAKE tha beat......Not just direct it......But dre's direction & final touches are defenitly top notch......But let's not forget about people like Mike Elizondo, cuz they tha muthafucaz behind da scenes that's actually makin it happen......nahmean

2 things...

1. check the beautiful instrumental thread u made.. i upped the track...

2. my site is 90% done, so ill holla at you soon... u never see´ms to be online though...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2003, 03:50:57 PM »

Approachin Death...

DoLLaBiLL_33

• Lil Geezy
  • Keep it Compton
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2003, 03:54:47 PM »
In a rap sense I feel that the producer in most cases does more than stand there and talk. So IMO Dre isn't really a producer without touching anything. In other forms of music it may be the other way around, but in rap the person who MAKES the beat is generally considered the producer. Yes most producers have someone else play live instruments for them, but then they lay down the track themselves. Judging by what Dre has been putting out lately, he's probably not in the studio with them anymore. He probably just listens to the track and OK's it. It seems as though he's now okay with just writing checks and collecting money. It doesn't seem as though he puts the effort in that he used to. I'm not a Dre hater, I do prefer Quik though. I have respect for Dre considering what he has done for rap music, he influenced my favorite producer so how could I not ??? I can't respect his nasty reputation of ripping people of and giving hiself credit for everything...
*LA..Where 80% of the population Gang Bang

*I gotta keep the P in it baby, mothafuck you hoes

*I'm a roll model, ya I roll models in and out of my room at night lookin' guilty with they hole hollow

*Gang Bang ? The name of ya album ain't the name of ya gang

//:in-DIJI-nouz..

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2003, 04:26:30 PM »
I mean look @ songs like "If I Can't" on 50's album.....

It says Produced by Dre.....
but then it says Keyboards, Drums & Bass by: Mike Elizondo.....

I mean wtf? Producing is making a beat.....It is VERY different than mixing tha beat.....

I just don't get what dre actually does.....shit is lame.

Okay, what the fuck, I said that shit like 3 months ago, and EVERYBODY bashed me (as phiasko if anyone remembers)... ay ROD, look at anything thats produced by him... it always says that shit... aint that some shit?

Anyways... to answer your question (what does he do?) ... he doesn't do a whole lot... the fact is, alotta producers on his level in the industry don't really do alot. They're job is pretty easy if you have a creative mind and have knowledge about producing and engineering. But nah... a producer isn't someone who makes beats... a producer is more like the guy that oversee's the whole project and has the final decision of how everything is gonna sound, he kinda guides the whole project. A producers job can be very easy or very hard, depending on who he/she is working with. If you're working with top of the line studio musicians and an experienced artist, a producers job isn't that hard, if your working with average studio musicians and an average rapper, the job gets that much harder, because its on the producer to make sure the song sounds dope. The artist isn't really supposed to have any creative liberty, but in a case where the artist is Snoop Dogg or Busta Rhymes or whoever, and the producer is Dr. Dre, Dre doesn't really have to worry about not giving these guys too much creative freedom (it works waaaay different in rap too by the way). In Hip-Hop (real hip hop), its different,  the producer is the guy that makes the beats... you look at any other genre of music though, and thats not what the producer is.... in the industry though, Dre is labeled the producer because thats the universal term they give for people like him in the industry, and thats why it gets confusing. For example.... anyone who has the Lil' Mo CD, go look at the credits for the song she did over the GIN AND JUICE beat, notice how the producer is not DR.DRE.
Same story with songs produced by Eminem, you think he really makes beats all of a sudden? pleeeeease! I don't know about Eminem.... but I can say Dre has skill, because he hasn't always been ontop of the game, at one point he was making beats just like any other real hip hop producer, the thing is, he's lazy and rich.... who can blame him? he's been in the game long enough to sit back and relax now.

and to anybody that argues that DRE does do alotta work because every song he does with someone he makes a hit: SHUT THE FUCK UP! you obviously know nothing about the industry. The industry is not about what sounds good or bad. The industry is 99% (literally) about seniority, politics, and connections. Do you think all these rappers you hear on TV got famous because they were good? .... NOPE! .... it's because they either had an established/known manager, they hustled their ass off to meet people, they already knew someone, or anything else along those lines. And to prove my point that the industry is only 1% dependent on talent, listen to NELLY or TOO SHORT or SNOOP DOGG (ima say Snoop Dogg just to piss you guys off), and then go listen to Pharoah Monch, Chino XL, Skillz, etc. Getting lucky is rare in the industry, and the only rapper I can think back to and picture that right now is Eminem, but even he hustled his ass off to get where he is.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2003, 04:37:59 PM by //:in-DIJI-nouz.. »

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2003, 05:12:58 PM »
It's exactly like Irv Gotti's fat ass.....He takes credit for songs like "I'm Real" and shit when that dood Seven actually made em.....I guess Irv was in tha lab wit Seven commenting on tha way it waz coming out.....But I know his dumb ass didn't do much.....

Quincy Jones is another example.....But I think he actually does make different melodies on his shit.....

COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2003, 05:20:15 PM »
And yes, this industry is ALL about connections and who U know.....I mean look @ our shit, Mista CaNE is a monster, He would go against anybody, even eminem.....He's got unbelievable talent.....but it's just that he aint dealin wit tha right people, Him or Arsen or even TTH, our shit.....Everything is all stayin independent sellin a thousand without no distribution.....Exactly like U said, It's Who U know......

Now In dre's case he's involved with alot of REAAAAL talented ass musicians who save his ass, so everything is alwayz stayin consistent.....Those muthafuckas aint complainin about fame, they prolly gettin that bank, they're strate.....

COMING IN 2008.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2003, 06:03:28 PM »
lol yo fuck this bullshit

at the end of the day, the name who gets credited for producer is the producer..........like as dodgy as it sounds on dre beats.........he gets listed as producer so he produced it, its his vision u know?

same as beats by sumone who duz the whole thing by himself...........his the producer..........man i was gonna explain what i had to say but i cant be arsed to type it, fuck it,

these mofos gettin paid to much

peace

lol

Trauma-san

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2003, 08:34:17 PM »
Lots of ignorance in this thread heah