Author Topic: R.I.P. Chicago club-goers  (Read 165 times)

mrtonguetwista

R.I.P. Chicago club-goers
« on: February 17, 2003, 05:42:12 AM »
Believe me...I'm 31, I know my geography.  I realize Chicago is not west coast, but many of us have been in a nightclub to chill or to witness their favorite artist in concert.  Whether it's here in the U.S.,Canada, or over in Europe somewhere.  So a tradgedy like this can happen to anyone of us whereever.  So next time you're at the House of Blues or Hard Rock Live or any venue in your city....be careful  :-[

http://member.compuserve.com/news/story.jsp?floc=MM7-news&sc=1110&idq=/ff/story/0001/20030217/081905469.htm

Don Seer

Re:R.I.P. Chicago club-goers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 06:22:56 AM »
shit needs membership.. i found it  on cnn

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/02/17/chicago.nightclub/index.html

Chicago club stampede kills at least 21
Monday, February 17, 2003 Posted: 9:20 AM EST (1420 GMT)

Emergency workers hurry a victim from the Chicago nightclub.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED
City of Chicago Web site  

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- At least 21 people were killed and 19 others critically injured when hundreds of panicked nightclub patrons rushed down a stairwell and were crushed early Monday, police said.

"There was a disturbance or altercation in the bar in which pepper spray or Mace may have been used -- some sort of stampede occurred," said Police Officer Ozzie Rodriguez.

At least 11 people were being treated for less serious injuries.

There were between 500 and 1,000 people inside the Epitome Nightclub, according to Chicago Fire Department Cmdr. Will Knight.

Many of the victims were trampled or crushed as they rushed to the club's exits, witnesses said.

"Everybody smashed; people crying, couldn't breathe," patron Reggie Clark told The Associated Press. "Two ladies next to me died. A guy under me passed out."

One of the building's exits was chained shut, and firefighters had to cut it open, Knight said. He said the area was being treated as a crime scene.

Cory Thomas, 33, said he was waiting outside the club with friends when the stampede occurred, according to the AP.

"You could see a mound of people," Thomas told the AP. "People were stacking on top of each other, screaming and gagging, I guess from the pepper spray. The door got blocked because there were too many people stacked up against it.

"I saw them taking out a pregnant woman," Thomas said. "She was in bad shape. I saw at least 10 lifeless bodies."

Some club patrons opened doors and went into broom closets. Apparently there was only one way down from the second level to the first, contributing to the problem.

Firefighters had to pull trampled bodies out of stairwells.

"They're stuck in the hallway. They literally can't move," a panicked patron told police.

"She's not breathing. She's not breathing," a man called to medics as he helped load the limp body of a woman into the back of an ambulance.

The incident began around 3 a.m. CST (4 a.m. EST). The nightclub is at 24th Street and South Michigan Avenue.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2003, 06:24:37 AM by Overseer »

Big BpG

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 12:33:54 PM »
Wow, im from Wisconsin, only 3 hours from Chicago... in fact, I'm familiar with that exact corner that the incident happened. Michigan Avenue is a very popular spot for tourists, when they come to Chi-Town. Although I'm here in Wisconsin, I can only imagine that shit happening, it's actually kinda shocking to think about. RIP to all those

-Bluey

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05

ITW [the irish boy]

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 03:48:25 PM »

:-\
man i can only imagine what  it wouldve been like. rip
SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW
BUT DO THEY KNOW TO THINK
THINK ABOUT THINKING
BEFORE THEY KNOW NOTHING
DID THEY KNOW SOMETHING
LETS THINK

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2003, 01:03:00 AM »
Thats very tragic, may God bless their souls, peace

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...