Author Topic: Dre & Snoop should scrap current albums and drop "From Break Ups 2 Make Ups"  (Read 1907 times)

Sccit

Re: Dre & Snoop should scrap current albums and drop "From Break Ups 2 Make Ups"
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2012, 01:24:12 AM »
Stop ridin Dr. Dre like that, he's not the only legend and icon from Cali.  

And that sound hasn't evolved.  In fact, Cali (the westcoast) is the only place in the game that hasn't shown any growth or evolved (in the past decade).  And don't be actin like I'm sayin they need to copy the same formula as Three 6 and Lex Luger.  In real life as far as talent goes out there for Producing, y'all jah like suck balls foreal foreal

*edited for preciseness

he's not the only legend and icon from cali, but he is the biggest...as for cali not evolvin', lmao. maybe because u only listen to one style of cali music. bump some bay shit from 92' then '99 then '06 then from today and see if u notice the difference. shit, the new west sounds NOTHIN like 90s shit, and thats actually peoples main complaint. did u hear daz's new single? it sounds more like some dirty south shit than some west coast shit....so frankly, outside of a few artists who are still tryna preserve the 90s sound, most west coast shit today isn't west coast at all. it's time for a new west coast sound...an evolved sound with the same formula. dre re-created the west coast sound in '99, and it's about time someone does it again.....hopefully, dre can do it 1 last time. if not, our loss.

Sccit

Re: Dre & Snoop should scrap current albums and drop "From Break Ups 2 Make Ups"
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2012, 01:31:30 AM »
Its slowly shifting for the better. But it is true that the west coast sound has been the same for way too long now. The whole thing has been dyin a slow death since about 03. Thats almost 10 years of irrelevancy.

I think things are lookin up though. Everybody in the west was lookin for Dre to come and save the day like he did in 99, but I htink its obvious that he's not gonna do it this time around. So you either sit and wait for him to make the west cool again in the eyes of most hip hop fans or you go out and make your own way. I think its shifting towards the latter.

the thing is, there isn't really a signature west coast sound right about now...everything is just bitin offa' somethin else, whatever's hot. most of the new west coast cats i hear nowadays, i would never guess they were from out here just by listenin to their shit. it's either waynesque flows over some generic dirty south/techno beat, or some artificially formulated hippie shit over beats that have no regional sound whatsoever. shits weird as fuck. back n the day, u play a west coast album, u knew right off the bat it was west coast shit....there are a few artists still pushing a variation of the old west sound, but it's not that common, and they're rarely successful. u think tyga sounds like some west coast shit? would u be able 2 tell Tyler the Creator was west coast if u didnt know? Kendrick Lamar? never. and the list goes on.... the new west is nothing like what yall portraying it as.

bouli77

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2012, 02:15:29 AM »
I understand where Arthur is coming from but I beg to differ.

Even though the LA Gangsta scene has been terribly stagnant for close to a decade, there definitely is some type of evolution out west, whether good or bad.

Also, there are dope producers and musicians. 1500 or Nothin, DJ Fresh, Traxamillion, League Of Starz. You got the Livewire Movement in the Bay who are holding it down, and coming with an updated mobb formula. You got the Mobb Figgaz still doing their thing, especially The Jacka. You got Berner who built a rather impressive hype from the ground up. DJ Fresh is killing it with The Tonite Show and dude got beats for days.

It's also worth mentioning that some of the bigger hits of these days are westcoast inspired (Rack City & The Motto, for example).

but yeah, the LA scene hasn't had a bankable frontman for a while, but it seems to me that the underground scene is burgeoning.

dnjp4life

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2012, 05:37:13 AM »
This would have been a good idea maybe 10 years ago but both are in their 40s now and going in different directions.  I'm not gonna act like I wouldn't buy it if it came out though.

doggfather

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2012, 06:46:33 AM »
it is too late. just like it is too late for a new NWA-album.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2012, 10:06:34 AM »
Its slowly shifting for the better. But it is true that the west coast sound has been the same for way too long now. The whole thing has been dyin a slow death since about 03. Thats almost 10 years of irrelevancy.

I think things are lookin up though. Everybody in the west was lookin for Dre to come and save the day like he did in 99, but I htink its obvious that he's not gonna do it this time around. So you either sit and wait for him to make the west cool again in the eyes of most hip hop fans or you go out and make your own way. I think its shifting towards the latter.
u think tyga sounds like some west coast shit? would u be able 2 tell Tyler the Creator was west coast if u didnt know? Kendrick Lamar? never. and the list goes on.... the new west is nothing like what yall portraying it as.

And yet those 3 probably together with Game, who also fits that description, are some of the more popular newer artists from the West, no? So that tells us everything right there.

From an outside perspective i actually agree with @Hollywood Bilderberg Group a 100%. What he is saying is the same thing i've been saying for more than 10 years but it ain't just the rappers and the producers fault it's also the fans fault.

quiksta80

• 'G'
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2012, 11:45:50 AM »
Can't really say snoop and dre together aren't relevant or marketable at present when you had them as the headliner for Coachella this year.

Sccit

« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2012, 11:52:55 AM »
Can't really say snoop and dre together aren't relevant or marketable at present when you had them as the headliner for Coachella this year.

headliners at coachella with no album out......imagine what an album could do.

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »
Every fan of the 90´s era west coast hiphop would of course like to hear this album, but the thing is... we need to move on. We need to just apriciate what has been and look to the future. Dre and Snoop, I think their reign is done. The west coast hiphop sound will definetly sound fresh again. When? Who knows. By who? Again, who knows. But for me personally, I don´t think Dre and Snoop is the leading candidates to do this job.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2012, 03:18:40 PM »
I think people have too much wrapped in all of this to actually see the truth. "The Wash" had Dre and Snoop together for the soundtrack. Dre did a handful of songs on Blue Carpet Treatment. They've been fucking with each other in the studio. All this shit came and went and was good but it didn't change the game. So while it would be incredible for them to push for that kind of group project, this idea that it is this priority that will salvage both of their stagnant careers is a bit of a reach. There are no guarantess that just because it's Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, that's it going to be some instant classic that will revive the Southern Cali music scene. I'll take my hint from history. Everybody couldn't wait to see Daz and Kurupt re-form Tha Dogg Pound or Eminem start making music with Royce Da 5-9 again or remember when Meth and Red made another "Blackout"album? In most cases, it was about the same. Some folks liked it, others were pissed, and some were indifferent but of the people who were dissapointed, I'd venture to say most had this idea that the chemistry of these artists was going to automatically create some distinctly catchy music that sounded new while nostalgic and the fact was no album was going to match the one they built up in their minds. 

Sccit

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2012, 04:26:40 PM »
yea, but kurupt+daz, red+meth, em+royce etc. aren't icons on the level of snoop+dre. it's more like if nas and jay-z teamed up to do an album, only they dont have the same history as snoop+dre. i get what ur saying.....but the point i'm makin is, this would have a higher chance at blowin up than what we've currently been getting. even an album fulla songs like "boss life", "hard on the blvd", "imagine", "kush", "the wash" etc would be sufficient, in comparison 2 what were getting now.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2012, 05:55:45 PM »
yea, but kurupt+daz, red+meth, em+royce etc. aren't icons on the level of snoop+dre. it's more like if nas and jay-z teamed up to do an album, only they dont have the same history as snoop+dre. i get what ur saying.....but the point i'm makin is, this would have a higher chance at blowin up than what we've currently been getting. even an album fulla songs like "boss life", "hard on the blvd", "imagine", "kush", "the wash" etc would be sufficient, in comparison 2 what were getting now.
But we're more likely to get what we're getting NOW if Snoop and Dre were to do a reunion album. Their work is going to be reflective of where they are at now so it's not likely to sound like all these 2002-2006 songs you're waxing nostalgic about. You're using the word "icon" like throwing it out means a guarantee of something special no matter what. There's plenty of "icons" that we all listened to when we were growing up that don't currently put out music we're interested in buying or listening to. The "iconic" aspect is more tied up to public perception than anything else. I use the examples of these other duos because it fits a far more realistic example of things and illustrates that solid chemistry and a strong collaborative history do not immediately equal timeless music in any context. The Jay-Nas comparison is a poor one, because while they are individually known as icons, they aren't known for their timeless collabos. I would say the Daz-Kurupt and Redman & Method Man comparison is far more effective in showcasing the realsitic outcome of the situation. You can make it to as big a crowd as you like or a smaller one but it's still a fanbase thing. DPG might have the smaller following than Dre-Snoop but the reunion was anticipated just the same to the people who were fans. To have Kurupt back in there with Daz and Daz doing the beats again. This was the situation that cats saw on paper as really being this exciting deal in terms of nostalgia and so with Dillinger & Young Gotti 2, Cali Iz Active, and Kurupt's Daz-produced solo "Same Day, Different Shit", everyone was thinking they were getting the kind of shit they got with Dogg Food, Streetz Iz A Mutha, and the original Dillinger & Young Gotti. And none of those projects, in my opinion, sucked. They just were underwhelming to the fans compared to what the album they had dreamt up in their heads. And it was the same with "Blackout 2". Truth be told, it was the same with The Wash soundtrack and Dre's work on Blue Carpet Treatment. People get these fanboy erections for names on a paper like "Oh! Snoop's new shit would be dope if it's all produced by Dre, Daz, Battlecat, DJ Quik, and Fredwreck and featuring Kurupt, Warren G, and all the old Death Row people" but you know what, he's made plenty of good shit without any of these dudes and made some songs with a few of them that the majority of y'all were just indifferent to. I mean, wasn't Kurupt and Quik's "Blaqkout" supposed to be the ultimate bring the West back collabo? I'm probably one of about five people on this board that actually really dug that project. Remember when "Book of David" was the album that this whole board said was going to be the "real" Detox? I'll be the first to admit that having names on a project can get me excited but the music needs to be there as well. I really enjoyed the last Snoop solo and am still bumping that collabo joint he did with Wiz so Snoop is good. Dre, when he's active, I'm always checking for. A collabo album between the two would be nice but "Detox" is still the album the public is expecting.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:34:03 PM by Jimmy H. »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2012, 09:35:17 PM »
I mean NIK, were you not disappointed with "Watch The Throne"? I mean I wasn't, but a lot of people expected so much more out of that album.

But if they made that album in 2003, it would probably be one of the great albums of the last decade.

Jimmy's on point, you act like they'd come together & make an album with 15 songs on par with "Still DRE".

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2012, 09:46:48 PM »
watch the thrown sucked ass but i'm surprised NIK cared as he's on record that X Raided is better than Jay Z (wtf?) lol  jk nik but wtf!

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2012, 11:46:39 PM »
watch the thrown sucked ass but i'm surprised NIK cared as he's on record that X Raided is better than Jay Z (wtf?) lol  jk nik but wtf!

Lol he said that? Shit is taking stanning to a new degree