Author Topic: Forgotten Aftermath Artists.....  (Read 2103 times)

doggfather

Re: Forgotten Aftermath Artists.....
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2012, 02:34:02 AM »
50 and GRODT both overrated.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2012, 02:34:59 AM »
50 is not a very proficient lyricist

he was, back in his early days

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2012, 03:45:56 AM »
lol nelly was just as street as 50 when he first came out. Authentic gangsta rap ? What set did 50 claim ? He was a drug dealer.. About as gangsta as jay-z.
Sets are generally more identified with the California gang scene. Fifty was a crack dealer from Southside Queens. Even his own crew that he fell out with (Smurf and SBG) have verified that he was authentic.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2012, 03:48:42 AM »
50 and GRODT both overrated.

Alot of people hate on 50 so I don't see how he's overrated.

Sccit

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2012, 03:33:45 PM »
50 was a drug-dealer, didn't bang.. theres a difference. not implyin he's fake, but he's as much a gangsta rapper as nelly or jay-z.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »
50 was a drug-dealer, didn't bang.. theres a difference. not implyin he's fake, but he's as much a gangsta rapper as nelly or jay-z.
Not all gangstas are gang-bangers. The Jay comparison I'll give you since they both have similiar upbringings and musical content but the Nelly one confuses me on a strictly artist level since Nelly's content is considerably less aggresive. I'd say he's more a gangsta rapper on the simple grounds that his content is more gangsta-themed than the others mentioned.

Sccit

« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2012, 12:33:33 PM »
Not all gangstas are gang-bangers. The Jay comparison I'll give you since they both have similiar upbringings and musical content but the Nelly one confuses me on a strictly artist level since Nelly's content is considerably less aggresive. I'd say he's more a gangsta rapper on the simple grounds that his content is more gangsta-themed than the others mentioned.

i guess u never heard Nelly when he first came out..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pRShhhoRawo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pRShhhoRawo</a>

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2012, 07:52:59 AM »
well, i do place eminem amongst the goats, mainstream or not. but 50 cent is not. he's nowhere near the goats. commercially, he was huge. his raps were good and catchy, but his biggest strength was the production team behind him. he's nowhere near the goat's in terms of straight rappin skill.
I would greatly diagree that 50's strength is his production team. He's not a production-driven rapper on the whole. Of the artists under Dre over the years, he appears the least reliant on his involvement in projects. "In Da Club" is arguably one of the strongest Dre productions to come out in the wake of "2001" but 50's song-writing skills tend to get overlooked here and that's my complaint. You might have a better lyricist drop a couple 16's and have Dre hold his hand through the production point but Fifty, to me, knows how to create songs on his own. He tends to grab beat tapes and pick out his own tracks, rather than relying on producers to put stuff together for him so I'm a little confused by this argument that his strengths are the production team. I think that would be more of a valid criticism for someone like Game on his first few albums. 50's strength is his work ethic.

basically, if Dre never fucked wit him, his albums wouldnt be half as good as they are.......not saying that Dre straight carried him, cuz he does have catchy hooks and good  concepts, but "GRODT" wouldnt even be nearly as acclaimed as it currently is without Dre's involvement.
nikcc you are so on point wit this because before em & dre got involved wit 50 muthafuckas didn't bump 50 like that and without their involvement in his project he wouldn't have been as big as he became. power of a dollar probably wouldn't have went gold well it was shelved so that shows you how much interest the label at the time (columbia racords) had in him.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:12:32 PM by OG Classic Material »
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2012, 11:41:59 AM »
nikcc you are so on point wit this because before em & dre got involved wit 50 muthafuckas did bump 50 like that and without their involvement in his project he wouldn't have been as big as he became. power of a dollar probably wouldn't have went gold well it was shelved so that shows you how much interest the label at the time (columbia racords) had in him.
"Power of Dollar" would have dropped in 2000. The label 86'ed him right after he got shot. He had a video scheduled to shoot, that week, but when he ended up in the hospital, they didn't know what to do and dropped him. Again, we can say Dre and Em were the formula but let's look at all the artists signed to either Aftermath or Shady or both (like Stat Quo was) and ask this. How many of them dropped their first album, ten months after signing with the label? How many had a deal for an Interscope-distributed sub-label before that album even dropped? Hell, even Eminem, the biggest-selling artist in the genre, didn't get an offer until the numbers came back on "Marshall Mathers LP"? Game's sales were pretty big and he still doesn't have distribution for Black Wallstreet. 50 built his own hype off the "mixtape". That's why he got a million dollars to go over there. That's why even though Em was pushing Obie Trice pretty heavy, 50's album came out first. Dre, for his credit, gave 50 a "monster" single but 50 created the outlet to where that single could perform to its strongest potential.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2012, 12:17:16 PM »
nikcc you are so on point wit this because before em & dre got involved wit 50 muthafuckas did bump 50 like that and without their involvement in his project he wouldn't have been as big as he became. power of a dollar probably wouldn't have went gold well it was shelved so that shows you how much interest the label at the time (columbia racords) had in him.
"Power of Dollar" would have dropped in 2000. The label 86'ed him right after he got shot. He had a video scheduled to shoot, that week, but when he ended up in the hospital, they didn't know what to do and dropped him. Again, we can say Dre and Em were the formula but let's look at all the artists signed to either Aftermath or Shady or both (like Stat Quo was) and ask this. How many of them dropped their first album, ten months after signing with the label? How many had a deal for an Interscope-distributed sub-label before that album even dropped? Hell, even Eminem, the biggest-selling artist in the genre, didn't get an offer until the numbers came back on "Marshall Mathers LP"? Game's sales were pretty big and he still doesn't have distribution for Black Wallstreet. 50 built his own hype off the "mixtape". That's why he got a million dollars to go over there. That's why even though Em was pushing Obie Trice pretty heavy, 50's album came out first. Dre, for his credit, gave 50 a "monster" single but 50 created the outlet to where that single could perform to its strongest potential.
yeah, he built his buzz off of gettin' shot and beefin' wit murder inc and at that time em then dre became interested. for the most part you are correct.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Sccit

« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2012, 09:20:18 PM »
..and just like i said, if dre woulda never gotten involved, 50 would still be another random rapper in the game right now. dre did give 50 the ultimate push, that is true.....but without that push, 50 would not be where he is right now. thats all there is to it.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »
..and just like i said, if dre woulda never gotten involved, 50 would still be another random rapper in the game right now. dre did give 50 the ultimate push, that is true.....but without that push, 50 would not be where he is right now. thats all there is to it.
No, that's not all there is to it. Dre gave 50 a stamp, not a push. It brought added credibility to the equation, no question, but it also allowed Dr. Dre to put his name on something that was looking like "the next hottest thing". I mean, look at where we're at it. A thread called "Forgotten Aftermath artists". We can name a shit load of them, can't we? Artists who spent years on the label and have nothing but a shelved album to show for it. If Dr. Dre is the common denominator, where are these other artists who got signed and had their album out in under a year? When was the last time Dr. Dre ever worked that fast on anybody's album? I'm sorry but it's bigger than that man or the formula would have been repeated for years to come. And it's not a knock. Dre is, head and shoulders, the greatest producer in hip-hop in my opinion but 50 created that lane for himself. He knew the right channels to hit in terms of promotion and he made himself the fucking face of the mixtape movement. He did the interviews. He had a compelling story to tell. All the elements were right on and of course, having the biggest hit-maker of this era and the white boy stamping him with the seal of approval gave him something extra but it's not unfanthomable to imagine someone doing it without Dr. Dre and the fact was he got what he was worth. If he wasn't worth money without Dre, there wouldn't have been a bidding war over G-Unit before "Get Rich" dropped. How many other "artists" had their own label deal before their debut album was even on store shelves?

Sccit

« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2012, 11:24:22 PM »
No, that's not all there is to it. Dre gave 50 a stamp, not a push. It brought added credibility to the equation, no question, but it also allowed Dr. Dre to put his name on something that was looking like "the next hottest thing". I mean, look at where we're at it. A thread called "Forgotten Aftermath artists". We can name a shit load of them, can't we? Artists who spent years on the label and have nothing but a shelved album to show for it. If Dr. Dre is the common denominator, where are these other artists who got signed and had their album out in under a year? When was the last time Dr. Dre ever worked that fast on anybody's album? I'm sorry but it's bigger than that man or the formula would have been repeated for years to come. And it's not a knock. Dre is, head and shoulders, the greatest producer in hip-hop in my opinion but 50 created that lane for himself. He knew the right channels to hit in terms of promotion and he made himself the fucking face of the mixtape movement. He did the interviews. He had a compelling story to tell. All the elements were right on and of course, having the biggest hit-maker of this era and the white boy stamping him with the seal of approval gave him something extra but it's not unfanthomable to imagine someone doing it without Dr. Dre and the fact was he got what he was worth. If he wasn't worth money without Dre, there wouldn't have been a bidding war over G-Unit before "Get Rich" dropped. How many other "artists" had their own label deal before their debut album was even on store shelves?

show me where i said dr. dre can take ANYONE and turn them into 50 cent? cuz thats what ur insinuating and basing your whole essay around. dre saw something very marketable in 50....but without dre, 50's album wouldn't have been as good and he wouldn't be nearly as big. if u wanna type another essay arguing this, go ahead. it's not gunna change my view, brodie.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2012, 11:25:42 PM »
eminem actually deserves the credit for bringing 50 cent to Aftermath/Shady

Sccit

« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2012, 11:30:41 PM »
eminem actually deserves the credit for bringing 50 cent to Aftermath/Shady

true