Author Topic: Forgotten Aftermath Artists.....  (Read 2119 times)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

Re: Forgotten Aftermath Artists.....
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2012, 04:47:58 AM »
was pretty shitty how dre had the balls to do a hip-hop legend like rakim.........he was never a proper fit in the first place, but at least they coulda put 1 album out. i remember how huge the anticipation for "oh my god" was back in 2001. shit was intense. the album woulda gone 5x platinum offa hype alone.

according to Ra, they were cool, but  just had creative diffrences for the album, be like that sometimes, so Ra decided to leave i guess

jman91331

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »
that's one, name anotha one.  ;)

puffy never signed and dropped cats at dre's rate.....lota artists went platinum on bad boy. Puffy, Biggie, Da Band, Faith Evans, Total, 112, Mase, Lox, Black Rob, Carl Thomas, Shyne, Dream, Yung Joc, Cassie, Dannity Kane.....and thats not even counting all the gold certifications.
but to be fair, half those artist on Badboy you can't count because they were signed when Dre was still at Death Row. You gotta count artists signed to Badboy from when Dre started Aftermath to now. To be even more fair, now that Badboy is under Interscope like Aftermath is, how many artists has Puffy put out? Don't worry if wait...

sms130

• 'G'
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »
was pretty shitty how dre had the balls to do a hip-hop legend like rakim.........he was never a proper fit in the first place, but at least they coulda put 1 album out. i remember how huge the anticipation for "oh my god" was back in 2001. shit was intense. the album woulda gone 5x platinum offa hype alone.

according to Ra, they were cool, but  just had creative diffrences for the album, be like that sometimes, so Ra decided to leave i guess

Yep! I remember reading (I think it was The Source) about Dre wanting Ra to "kill" and Ra didn't wanna "kill" over Dre beats. Actually the 50 Cent track "Heat" (from the "Get Rich or Die Tryin" album) was originally for Ra and he rejected it. That was one of those beats Dre wanted Ra on his "gangsta shit". Dre (later) gave it to 50.

Sccit

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2012, 12:22:36 PM »

aka jimmy iovine wasn't satisfied.

Sccit

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »

Yep! I remember reading (I think it was The Source) about Dre wanting Ra to "kill" and Ra didn't wanna "kill" over Dre beats. Actually the 50 Cent track "Heat" (from the "Get Rich or Die Tryin" album) was originally for Ra and he rejected it. That was one of those beats Dre wanted Ra on his "gangsta shit". Dre (later) gave it to 50.

Damn... "Heat" woulda been way doper with Rakim insteada 50. Damn shame.

Sccit

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »

puffy never signed and dropped cats at dre's rate.....lota artists went platinum on bad boy. Puffy, Biggie, Da Band, Faith Evans, Total, 112, Mase, Lox, Black Rob, Carl Thomas, Shyne, Dream, Yung Joc, Cassie, Dannity Kane.....and thats not even counting all the gold certifications.
but to be fair, half those artist on Badboy you can't count because they were signed when Dre was still at Death Row. You gotta count artists signed to Badboy from when Dre started Aftermath to now. To be even more fair, now that Badboy is under Interscope like Aftermath is, how many artists has Puffy put out? Don't worry if wait...

The last 7 artists on that list came post-aftermath

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2012, 03:17:05 PM »

Hell no, that shit wasn't Ra's style at all. 50 was perfect for that beat, killed it as well.

Sccit

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2012, 04:29:36 PM »

Hell no, that shit wasn't Ra's style at all. 50 was perfect for that beat, killed it as well.

i could see comin' wit some lyrical g shit on heat.....i'm picturin what dre had envisioned. u can replace 50 with rakim on any track, and it'll be better.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »
I think the Rakim thing was more a Jimmy Iovine thing & less of a Dr. Dre thing as far as it not working out. On Dre's part he like people that give it 110% and from what I read/heard Rakim wasn't all that motivated to come in & work, moody, want open to trying new ideas (like writing hooks, writing about differnt ideas, ect.) and I heard the beats DJ Primere was comin up with weren't up to Dre's standards. With Jimmy I think if he feels it ain't gonna make a bunch of green, he ain't fuckin with it.

Whoever decided not to release that musta been trippin bad, cuz the hype for that album was unlike anything ive ever seen..

Judging by the final product, it was good Aftermath didn't put it out. It seems like Rah didn't want to put in the work creating a great album and just wanted to half ass it....which he did with 7th Seal.

what final product? the album was never finished....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seventh_Seal_(Rakim_album)

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2012, 10:39:17 PM »
I pretty much forgot Dr Dre as an artist. I thought he worked for HP or some shit now.

Will_B

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2012, 11:17:09 PM »
I think the Rakim thing was more a Jimmy Iovine thing & less of a Dr. Dre thing as far as it not working out. On Dre's part he like people that give it 110% and from what I read/heard Rakim wasn't all that motivated to come in & work, moody, want open to trying new ideas (like writing hooks, writing about differnt ideas, ect.) and I heard the beats DJ Primere was comin up with weren't up to Dre's standards. With Jimmy I think if he feels it ain't gonna make a bunch of green, he ain't fuckin with it.

Whoever decided not to release that musta been trippin bad, cuz the hype for that album was unlike anything ive ever seen..

Judging by the final product, it was good Aftermath didn't put it out. It seems like Rah didn't want to put in the work creating a great album and just wanted to half ass it....which he did with 7th Seal.

what final product? the album was never finished....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seventh_Seal_(Rakim_album)

I remember seeing a couple of his tracks at Aftermath on here before. Anyone got the hookup ?

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2012, 11:39:45 PM »

eI remember reading (I think it wahe Source) about Dre wanting Ra to "kill" and Ra didn't wanna "kill" over Dre beats. Actually the 50 Cent track "Heat" (from the "Get Rich or Die Tryin" album) was originally for Ra and he rejected it. That was one of those beats Dre wanted Ra on his "gangsta shit". Dre (later) gave it to 50.

i could see comin' wit some lyrical g shit on heat.....i'm picturin what dre had envisioned. u can replace 50 with rakim on any track, and it'll be better.

When Ra does G Shit it ain't authentic. You really think "In Da Club" would have been better with Ra? Lol you tripping homie

jman91331

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2012, 08:28:45 AM »

Ok well since BadBoy been under Interscope like Aftermath is, what has Puffy put out?

The last 7 artists on that list came post-aftermath

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2012, 01:40:52 PM »
atleast bad boy puts out albums  ::)

bad boy aint put out a hot album since Life After Death

They had two great albums since then.  Puffy's No Way Out album was epic.  Big's death gave him a wealth of content to pull from, Jadakiss did a lot of writing for the album, and production at that time for Bad Boy was top notch.

...Also Shyne's debut album was solid top to bottom.  Some monster bangers on that one.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »
atleast bad boy puts out albums  ::)

bad boy aint put out a hot album since Life After Death

They had two great albums since then.  Puffy's No Way Out album was epic.  Big's death gave him a wealth of content to pull from, Jadakiss did a lot of writing for the album, and production at tht time for Bad Boy was top notch.

...Also Shyne's debut album was solid top to bottom.  Some monster bangers on that one.

For real two great albums there. "Harlem World", " Money, Power, Respect" and "Life Story" were all dope aswell.