Author Topic: Forgotten Aftermath Artists.....  (Read 2085 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Forgotten Aftermath Artists.....
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2012, 04:46:47 PM »

For real two great albums there. "Harlem World", " Money, Power, Respect" and "Life Story" were all dope aswell.

The Mase album sounded good, but it's fools gold.   I like the Lox and Black Rob but didn't think those albums were all that.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »

For real two great albums there. "Harlem World", " Money, Power, Respect" and "Life Story" were all dope aswell.

The Mase album sounded good, but it's fools gold.   I like the Lox and Black Rob but didn't think those albums were all that.
the last hot album bad boy put out was g dep's child of the ghetto.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2012, 06:28:39 PM »

the last hot album bad boy put out was g dep's child of the ghetto.

hmm.. I never gave that one a chance
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2012, 08:12:42 PM »

the first black rob album is one of the finest albums from the Bad boy catalgoue imo. very underrated

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2012, 08:51:15 PM »
I pretty much forgot Dr Dre as an artist. I thought he worked for HP or some shit now.

LOL

Chronic is an album I always gotta play front to back every couple of months  8)

Sccit

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2012, 09:24:55 PM »
I think the Rakim thing was more a Jimmy Iovine thing & less of a Dr. Dre thing as far as it not working out. On Dre's part he like people that give it 110% and from what I read/heard Rakim wasn't all that motivated to come in & work, moody, want open to trying new ideas (like writing hooks, writing about differnt ideas, ect.) and I heard the beats DJ Primere was comin up with weren't up to Dre's standards. With Jimmy I think if he feels it ain't gonna make a bunch of green, he ain't fuckin with it.

Whoever decided not to release that musta been trippin bad, cuz the hype for that album was unlike anything ive ever seen..

Judging by the final product, it was good Aftermath didn't put it out. It seems like Rah didn't want to put in the work creating a great album and just wanted to half ass it....which he did with 7th Seal.

what final product? the album was never finished....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seventh_Seal_(Rakim_album)

"Then in 2007, Rakim decided to record completely new songs for the album. In an interview with Billboard on July 13, 2009, when asked about if this album contains any material from the unreleased album he did with Dr. Dre, he stated "No, that's locked down in the lab for now. This is me live from New York City, everything brand new."

"7th Seal" was a different album from "Oh My God"

Sccit

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »
was pretty shitty how dre had the balls to do a hip-hop legend like rakim.........he was never a proper fit in the first place, but at least they coulda put 1 album out. i remember how huge the anticipation for "oh my god" was back in 2001. shit was intense. the album woulda gone 5x platinum offa hype alone.

according to Ra, they were cool, but  just had creative diffrences for the album, be like that sometimes, so Ra decided to leave i guess

eI remember reading (I think it wahe Source) about Dre wanting Ra to "kill" and Ra didn't wanna "kill" over Dre beats. Actually the 50 Cent track "Heat" (from the "Get Rich or Die Tryin" album) was originally for Ra and he rejected it. That was one of those beats Dre wanted Ra on his "gangsta shit". Dre (later) gave it to 50.

Damn... "Heat" woulda been way doper with Rakim insteada 50. Damn shame.

Hell no, that shit wasn't Ra's style at all. 50 was perfect for that beat, killed it as well.

i could see comin' wit some lyrical g shit on heat.....i'm picturin what dre had envisioned. u can replace 50 with rakim on any track, and it'll be better.

When Ra does G Shit it ain't authentic. You really think "In Da Club" would have been better with Ra? Lol you tripping homie

yea, but 50 doin G shit aint exactly authentic either....Ra could lyrically rip pretty much any track. duno if the song woulda been as popular, but i could definitely see Rakim killin the "In Da Club" instrumental.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »

When Ra does G Shit it ain't authentic. You really think "In Da Club" would have been better with Ra? Lol you tripping homie
I think a lot of times people just won't give credit where it is due. 50 owned that beat. There aren't many cats who could have came in there and made that anywhere near as a hot a song as 50 did at the time. So many of these folks just want to sound like they are too cool for school by suggesting that so and so could do a better job and I frankly have my doubts. There are great lyricists but most of them would be too busy penning 16 bars to think of something as simple and catchy as "Go shorty. It's your birthday!" or come off the chorus with a vicious bridge like he did. I think someone of you need to stop trying to rewrite history like 50 Cent was a super hot song-writer at the time and just give that man his props.

Sccit

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »
that's one, name anotha one.  ;)

puffy never signed and dropped cats at dre's rate.....lota artists went platinum on bad boy. Puffy, Biggie, Da Band, Faith Evans, Total, 112, Mase, Lox, Black Rob, Carl Thomas, Shyne, Dream, Yung Joc, Cassie, Dannity Kane.....and thats not even counting all the gold certifications.
but to be fair, half those artist on Badboy you can't count because they were signed when Dre was still at Death Row. You gotta count artists signed to Badboy from when Dre started Aftermath to now. To be even more fair, now that Badboy is under Interscope like Aftermath is, how many artists has Puffy put out? Don't worry if wait...
Ok well since BadBoy been under Interscope like Aftermath is, what has Puffy put out?

well, bad boy merged with interscope in late '09....the first and only album released by bad boy since then was diddy dirty money. but thats besides the point. puffy doesnt sign and drop artists at the same rate dre does. will he now that he's with interscope? looks like we bout 2 see.

Sccit

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2012, 09:47:53 PM »

I think a lot of times people just won't give credit where it is due. 50 owned that beat. There aren't many cats who could have came in there and made that anywhere near as a hot a song as 50 did at the time. So many of these folks just want to sound like they are too cool for school by suggesting that so and so could do a better job and I frankly have my doubts. There are great lyricists but most of them would be too busy penning 16 bars to think of something as simple and catchy as "Go shorty. It's your birthday!" or come off the chorus with a vicious bridge like he did. I think someone of you need to stop trying to rewrite history like 50 Cent was a super hot song-writer at the time and just give that man his props.

like i said, it may not have been as big commercially, but it woulda been a better song....thats my opinion. i prefer rakim over 50, any day of the week. but i understand that 50's got catchier content, of course. that goes witout sayin.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2012, 02:20:11 AM »

This guys gets it 8). And lol at 50 not being authentic, he was one of the last real gangsters to actually make it big in this rap game.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2012, 03:01:26 AM »

like i said, it may not have been as big commercially, but it woulda been a better song....thats my opinion. i prefer rakim over 50, any day of the week. but i understand that 50's got catchier content, of course. that goes witout sayin.
I doubt that. Rakim is a great lyricist but his style ain't fitted to something like "In Da Club". Fif owned that. It's this certain conversation I've grown accustomed to with some people where they have to believe that all these people that Dre dropped could have been 50 Cent if they got the right push but the thing is 50 was a special artist and once he hit MTV, it became uncool to admit that. Like certain cats won't ever throw Jay-Z or Eminem in that "greatest" category because they're mainstream but talent is talent. It's like these dudes who believe that because Tupac is such a great artist that there is nothing that another rapper could ever be better than him at. Do I prefer Scarface to Snoop? Yes. Is he better at writing the deep shit? No question. Would he have rocked half those joints Dre gave Snoop for "Doggystle" better than Snoop? No fucking way. Could Pac have made a better song out of that "Around the Way Girl" joint than Cool J did? Fuck no. It's not about which artist I prefer, it's about understanding that even my most favorite MC in rap might not do every style of song better than a certain rapper I only kind of like. That's just how shit rolls sometimes.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »

50 owned that beat. There aren't many cats who could have came in there and made that anywhere near as a hot a song as 50 did at the time.  

its impossible to say, Fif has always been a great rapper, but i sure others couldve pulled off a decent performance on that beat back in 03 as well.

jman91331

« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2012, 08:27:23 PM »

50 owned that beat. There aren't many cats who could have came in there and made that anywhere near as a hot a song as 50 did at the time.  

its impossible to say, Fif has always been a great rapper, but i sure others couldve pulled off a decent performance on that beat back in 03 as well.
They say that In The Club beat was for D-12 & they passed. It was no way they could've done to that beat what 50cent did to that shit. In fact, people wouldn't have even considered that beat as dope as people do now if D-12 would've did something to it. Would've been a waste of a hit record.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2012, 10:53:58 PM »
I think the Rakim thing was more a Jimmy Iovine thing & less of a Dr. Dre thing as far as it not working out. On Dre's part he like people that give it 110% and from what I read/heard Rakim wasn't all that motivated to come in & work, moody, want open to trying new ideas (like writing hooks, writing about differnt ideas, ect.) and I heard the beats DJ Primere was comin up with weren't up to Dre's standards. With Jimmy I think if he feels it ain't gonna make a bunch of green, he ain't fuckin with it.

Whoever decided not to release that musta been trippin bad, cuz the hype for that album was unlike anything ive ever seen..

Judging by the final product, it was good Aftermath didn't put it out. It seems like Rah didn't want to put in the work creating a great album and just wanted to half ass it....which he did with 7th Seal.

what final product? the album was never finished....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seventh_Seal_(Rakim_album)

"Then in 2007, Rakim decided to record completely new songs for the album. In an interview with Billboard on July 13, 2009, when asked about if this album contains any material from the unreleased album he did with Dr. Dre, he stated "No, that's locked down in the lab for now. This is me live from New York City, everything brand new."

"7th Seal" was a different album from "Oh My God"

Same album, different direction. Similar to how Dre has apparently changed the direction of Detox several times. My point was that the final product came off as lazy and uninspired. So if he had put the same effort into an album with Dre it would've been a bad look for Aftermath.