Author Topic: Forgotten Aftermath Artists.....  (Read 2102 times)

sofdark

Re: Forgotten Aftermath Artists.....
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2012, 11:10:49 PM »

When Ra does G Shit it ain't authentic. You really think "In Da Club" would have been better with Ra? Lol you tripping homie
I think a lot of times people just won't give credit where it is due. 50 owned that beat. There aren't many cats who could have came in there and made that anywhere near as a hot a song as 50 did at the time. So many of these folks just want to sound like they are too cool for school by suggesting that so and so could do a better job and I frankly have my doubts. There are great lyricists but most of them would be too busy penning 16 bars to think of something as simple and catchy as "Go shorty. It's your birthday!" or come off the chorus with a vicious bridge like he did. I think someone of you need to stop trying to rewrite history like 50 Cent was a super hot song-writer at the time and just give that man his props.

This guys gets it 8). And lol at 50 not being authentic, he was one of the last real gangsters to actually make it big in this rap game.

Sccit

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2012, 04:48:22 AM »

like i said, it may not have been as big commercially, but it woulda been a better song....thats my opinion. i prefer rakim over 50, any day of the week. but i understand that 50's got catchier content, of course. that goes witout sayin.
I doubt that. Rakim is a great lyricist but his style ain't fitted to something like "In Da Club". Fif owned that. It's this certain conversation I've grown accustomed to with some people where they have to believe that all these people that Dre dropped could have been 50 Cent if they got the right push but the thing is 50 was a special artist and once he hit MTV, it became uncool to admit that. Like certain cats won't ever throw Jay-Z or Eminem in that "greatest" category because they're mainstream but talent is talent. It's like these dudes who believe that because Tupac is such a great artist that there is nothing that another rapper could ever be better than him at. Do I prefer Scarface to Snoop? Yes. Is he better at writing the deep shit? No question. Would he have rocked half those joints Dre gave Snoop for "Doggystle" better than Snoop? No fucking way. Could Pac have made a better song out of that "Around the Way Girl" joint than Cool J did? Fuck no. It's not about which artist I prefer, it's about understanding that even my most favorite MC in rap might not do every style of song better than a certain rapper I only kind of like. That's just how shit rolls sometimes.

well, i do place eminem amongst the goats, mainstream or not. but 50 cent is not. he's nowhere near the goats. commercially, he was huge. his raps were good and catchy, but his biggest strength was the production team behind him. he's nowhere near the goat's in terms of straight rappin skill.

Sccit

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2012, 04:49:59 AM »
I think the Rakim thing was more a Jimmy Iovine thing & less of a Dr. Dre thing as far as it not working out. On Dre's part he like people that give it 110% and from what I read/heard Rakim wasn't all that motivated to come in & work, moody, want open to trying new ideas (like writing hooks, writing about differnt ideas, ect.) and I heard the beats DJ Primere was comin up with weren't up to Dre's standards. With Jimmy I think if he feels it ain't gonna make a bunch of green, he ain't fuckin with it.

Whoever decided not to release that musta been trippin bad, cuz the hype for that album was unlike anything ive ever seen..

Judging by the final product, it was good Aftermath didn't put it out. It seems like Rah didn't want to put in the work creating a great album and just wanted to half ass it....which he did with 7th Seal.

what final product? the album was never finished....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seventh_Seal_(Rakim_album)

"Then in 2007, Rakim decided to record completely new songs for the album. In an interview with Billboard on July 13, 2009, when asked about if this album contains any material from the unreleased album he did with Dr. Dre, he stated "No, that's locked down in the lab for now. This is me live from New York City, everything brand new."

"7th Seal" was a different album from "Oh My God"

Same album, different direction. Similar to how Dre has apparently changed the direction of Detox several times. My point was that the final product came off as lazy and uninspired. So if he had put the same effort into an album with Dre it would've been a bad look for Aftermath.

the Dre produced tracks that leaked were much better than the shit he did for "7th Seal"..

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2012, 05:39:28 AM »

like i said, it may not have been as big commercially, but it woulda been a better song....thats my opinion. i prefer rakim over 50, any day of the week. but i understand that 50's got catchier content, of course. that goes witout sayin.
I doubt that. Rakim is a great lyricist but his style ain't fitted to something like "In Da Club". Fif owned that. It's this certain conversation I've grown accustomed to with some people where they have to believe that all these people that Dre dropped could have been 50 Cent if they got the right push but the thing is 50 was a special artist and once he hit MTV, it became uncool to admit that. Like certain cats won't ever throw Jay-Z or Eminem in that "greatest" category because they're mainstream but talent is talent. It's like these dudes who believe that because Tupac is such a great artist that there is nothing that another rapper could ever be better than him at. Do I prefer Scarface to Snoop? Yes. Is he better at writing the deep shit? No question. Would he have rocked half those joints Dre gave Snoop for "Doggystle" better than Snoop? No fucking way. Could Pac have made a better song out of that "Around the Way Girl" joint than Cool J did? Fuck no. It's not about which artist I prefer, it's about understanding that even my most favorite MC in rap might not do every style of song better than a certain rapper I only kind of like. That's just how shit rolls sometimes.

well, i do place eminem amongst the goats, mainstream or not. but 50 cent is not. he's nowhere near the goats. commercially, he was huge. his raps were good and catchy, but his biggest strength was the production team behind him. he's nowhere near the goat's in terms of straight rappin skill.

50 is one of the goats, based on his accomplishments alone.
far as skills, no one could fuck wit Fif back in 02 and 03 when he ran the mixtape-game, especially whn it came to disses n freestyles
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:57:18 AM by Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation) »

Sccit

« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »

50 is one of the goats, based on his accomplishments alone.
far as skills, no one could fuck wit Fif back in 02 and 03 when he ran the mixtape-game, especially whn it came to disses n freestyles

lol...accomplishments dont mean shit in terms of goats. if that were the case, drake, nelly, ja rule, etc. are all goats. this aint sport, it's music. like i said, 50 was putting out quality music, no doubt. but the strongest quality was the production value. he's nowhere near the greatests in terms of pure rappin skill.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »
I would greatly diagree that 50's strength is his production team. He's not a production-driven rapper on the whole. Of the artists under Dre over the years, he appears the least reliant on his involvement in projects. "In Da Club" is arguably one of the strongest Dre productions to come out in the wake of "2001" but 50's song-writing skills tend to get overlooked here and that's my complaint. You might have a better lyricist drop a couple 16's and have Dre hold his hand through the production point but Fifty, to me, knows how to create songs on his own. He tends to grab beat tapes and pick out his own tracks, rather than relying on producers to put stuff together for him so I'm a little confused by this argument that his strengths are the production team. I think that would be more of a valid criticism for someone like Game on his first few albums. 50's strength is his work ethic.

Sccit

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »
I would greatly diagree that 50's strength is his production team. He's not a production-driven rapper on the whole. Of the artists under Dre over the years, he appears the least reliant on his involvement in projects. "In Da Club" is arguably one of the strongest Dre productions to come out in the wake of "2001" but 50's song-writing skills tend to get overlooked here and that's my complaint. You might have a better lyricist drop a couple 16's and have Dre hold his hand through the production point but Fifty, to me, knows how to create songs on his own. He tends to grab beat tapes and pick out his own tracks, rather than relying on producers to put stuff together for him so I'm a little confused by this argument that his strengths are the production team. I think that would be more of a valid criticism for someone like Game on his first few albums. 50's strength is his work ethic.

basically, if Dre never fucked wit him, his albums wouldnt be half as good as they are.......not saying that Dre straight carried him, cuz he does have catchy hooks and good  concepts, but "GRODT" wouldnt even be nearly as acclaimed as it currently is without Dre's involvement.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2012, 03:12:46 PM »
lol...accomplishments dont mean shit in terms of goats. if that were the case, drake, nelly, ja rule, etc. are all goats. this aint sport, it's music. like i said, 50 was putting out quality music, no doubt. but the strongest quality was the production value. he's nowhere near the greatests in terms of pure rappin skill.
Of course, accomplishments mean shit in terms of being the "greatest". Yes, pure rapping skill is important but there are plenty of great "pure rappers" like Canibus, Ras Kass, Crooked I, and so forth who have been making music for a cool decade and don't have lyrics that reasonate over to the "crossover" audience. This production value comment still strikes me as a weak overall argument. To my understanding, 50 constructs a lot of his own songs. He writes his own choruses on the majority of his albums and it's not like the guys who do the beats (Ky Miller, Ty Fyfe, Jake One, Ron Brownz, Tha Bizness, etc.) are these big A-list production machines who hold his hand. I mean, the guys generally associated with Dr. Dre and the Aftermath brand don't tend to be a massive presence on 50 Cent's G-Unit projects or his solo albums. At least, compared to a lot of the other artists on the label.  

Jimmy H.

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »
basically, if Dre never fucked wit him, his albums wouldnt be half as good as they are.......not saying that Dre straight carried him, cuz he does have catchy hooks and good  concepts, but "GRODT" wouldnt even be nearly as acclaimed as it currently is without Dre's involvement.
That's a bold statement, given that Dre's never even produced 40% of any of his albums. There's certainly no denying that Dr. Dre was a contributing factor in the picture but Fif already had a buzz hot before he signed on with them. Let's be real here. He was far more developed out the gate than your average Aftermath artist. There's a reason he got a million dollar contract plus additional revenue to start G-Unit Records on Interscope before "In Da Club" hit the radio waves. Like I said, he might not be the greatest with "pure rapping skills" but in terms of what makes a great artist, I'd say he overshadows nearly everybody except the cream of crop when it comes to other aspects of being a hip-hop artist. Is he on my greatest of all-time list? Not at the moment but I'll give him the credit where its due in the necessary areas. Who working in rap has his work ethic?

bouli77

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2012, 04:06:14 PM »
50 is not a very proficient lyricist but on the other hand he is an efficient songwriter. and he does craft dope hooks. not on eminem's level by any means but he has a rather impressive catalogue and list of bangers.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »
50 is not a very proficient lyricist but on the other hand he is an efficient songwriter. and he does craft dope hooks. not on eminem's level by any means but he has a rather impressive catalogue and list of bangers.
Yeah, I would call Eminem the better artist but Fif is underlooked because of a lot of people don't like his shit. None of these artists that Aftermath had were 50 Cent. There's a reason he got the money he got. There's a reason he was pushed ahead of the rest of the roster when he got there. That's why I'll say it. "In Da Club" belongs to 50 Cent.

Sccit

« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2012, 05:31:47 PM »
because he knows how 2 make catchy songs.. not because he's a great rapper. he's more comparable to nelly than he is to rakim.  i'd bump his shit over nelly, though.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2012, 11:24:51 PM »
That's a bold statement, given that Dre's never even produced 40% of any of his albums. There's certainly no denying that Dr. Dre was a contributing factor in the picture but Fif already had a buzz hot before he signed on with them. Let's be real here. He was far more developed out the gate than your average Aftermath artist. There's a reason he got a million dollar contract plus additional revenue to start G-Unit Records on Interscope before "In Da Club" hit the radio waves. Like I said, he might not be the greatest with "pure rapping skills" but in terms of what makes a great artist, I'd say he overshadows nearly everybody except the cream of crop when it comes to other aspects of being a hip-hop artist. Is he on my greatest of all-time list? Not at the moment but I'll give him the credit where its due in the necessary areas. Who working in rap has his work ethic?

When 50 was in his prime I'd put him in my top 10, son can craft a song like no other, authentic gangster rap done right. "Many Men" to me is one of the GOAT hip hop songs ever made, shit was as real as it gets. Nelly was a pop rapper, 50 was a street rapper who just happened to know how to make a song that turned pop. 50's lost his way the last couple of years but from GRODT to the GRODT Soundtrack not many in the game could touch him.

Sccit

« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2012, 12:36:39 AM »

When 50 was in his prime I'd put him in my top 10, son can craft a song like no other, authentic gangster rap done right. "Many Men" to me is one of the GOAT hip hop songs ever made, shit was as real as it gets. Nelly was a pop rapper, 50 was a street rapper who just happened to know how to make a song that turned pop. 50's lost his way the last couple of years but from GRODT to the GRODT Soundtrack not many in the game could touch him.

lol nelly was just as street as 50 when he first came out. Authentic gangsta rap ? What set did 50 claim ? He was a drug dealer.. About as gangsta as jay-z.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2012, 02:32:15 AM »
lol nelly was just as street as 50 when he first came out. Authentic gangsta rap ? What set did 50 claim ? He was a drug dealer.. About as gangsta as jay-z.
Sets are generally more identified with the California gang scene. Fifty was a crack dealer from Southside Queens. Even his own crew that he fell out with (Smurf and SBG) have verified that he was authentic.