Author Topic: Is Kendrick Lamar the best rapper alive? (Right now)  (Read 1264 times)

PLANT

Re: Is Kendrick Lamar the best rapper alive?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 12:53:31 PM »
All the time Nas, Rakim, Ghostface, Masta Ace etc. are still alive, then no he's not.

KOOL G RAP, GZA, Chino XL, Mc Juice, Eminem etc. are also miles ahead of Kendrick

Big Daddy Kane, KRS-One, Pharoahe Monch, Chuck D, Gift of Gab, Tech N9ne, AZ, OC, Black Thought...

Even if we're being generous, there's at least 50 rappers who are better than him, probably a lot more...

No offense but I dont see any of these artist you mentioned dropping a better album than Kendrick anytime soon.  Chuck D?  Cmon dude, maybe in 88!

You can't say that till you've heard the album. It might be full of mainstream sounding bullshit. It is coming out through Aftermath after all.
"GKMC" will delivery, Im sure of that.  Read the reviews from the listening sessions.  Having said that, I highly doubt any of the above mentioned artists are making an album that comes even close to Section 80.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2012, 01:22:43 PM »
All the time Nas, Rakim, Ghostface, Masta Ace etc. are still alive, then no he's not.

KOOL G RAP, GZA, Chino XL, Mc Juice, Eminem etc. are also miles ahead of Kendrick

Big Daddy Kane, KRS-One, Pharoahe Monch, Chuck D, Gift of Gab, Tech N9ne, AZ, OC, Black Thought...

Even if we're being generous, there's at least 50 rappers who are better than him, probably a lot more...

No offense but I dont see any of these artist you mentioned dropping a better album than Kendrick anytime soon.  Chuck D?  Cmon dude, maybe in 88!
black thought always show and prove on the roots albums.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

RingMan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BWS Czech Capo
Re: Is Kendrick Lamar the best rapper alive? (Right now)
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 01:25:40 PM »
even Jay Rock or Maylay are better than Kendrick
yet nobody knows them, compared to Kendrick

Rap is not real, I don't care what they told you,
Fake people say fake things in their vocalbooth
- Soul Position - Mic Control

I make it hard to read me, graffiti flow - Rakim - Word On The Streets

PLANT

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 01:29:32 PM »
I dont feel these guys are on Kendricks level.  Ab-Soul is a better spitter than both.  Dont get me wrong, I think Rock is dope, but cant spit like Kendrick, or write songs like KDot

Sccit

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 01:50:46 PM »
come on, my dude...this shit looks like a troll thread.

Kendrick is a good rapper...but he has a long way 2 go if he wants 2 be mentioned amongst the GREATS.
I never mentioned him amongst any greats.  I said I think hes the best rapper out right now.  Im looking at the rap game as a whole right now, thinking...there is nobody better than kendrick right now.  And his album hasnt even dropped yet.

lol Tech N9ne is lightyears ahead of Kendrick, as far as rappin goes. Lynch is still puttin out great records with his "Mannibalector" trilogy....Raided just put out a new album which rapping-wise, destroy's anything Kendrick has done. you got a super group in Slaughterhouse, who have Royce and Crooked I. You got underground rappers who would lyrically destroy Kendrick, like Locksmith, Ill Bill, etc..even as far as new school rappers, u got a few cats like Big Krit, Curren$y, etc. who are at least on Kendricks level.... Kendrick is technically a beast behind the mic. but he hasnt really developed his character..there are rappers out there who are still undiscovered who are better. to say he's "the best rapper alive" is a stretch.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:08:42 PM by NIKCC »

Remedy360

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »
I think a lot of the appeal in Kendrick is that he's a lot different than most dudes out right now. He's got some nice rhymes, but I don't see him ever being a guy that's gonna completely blow people away with his shit like the greats have done in the past, that's OK though. Dude is great at what he does.

pixtr

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 02:11:36 PM »
I dont feel these guys are on Kendricks level.  Ab-Soul is a better spitter than both.  Dont get me wrong, I think Rock is dope, but cant spit like Kendrick, or write songs like KDot
I think the same way if we talk about lyrics, but Maylay has a lot of generic west tracks and each of these dope songs are better than Kendrick's, maybe I was wrong about Rock but i love his mixtape called 'Coming Soon To A Hood Near You' which is much better than his solo album FMH and I based on that when I wrote comment

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 02:33:45 PM »
The "title" is definetely there for the taking since there hasn't been a great mainstream album for quite some years
trouble man 12.18.12
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 03:34:59 PM »
People act like Section 80 wasn't the best album to drop last year. The potential for Kendrick is huge, and in my opinion he's going to live up to it. I'm not mad at his features, Kendrick has never disappointed me with his choice of guests in the past and I don't see him making some weak shit just because, he's gonna bring the artists into his world, not the other way around.

I think people are quick to catch feelings when someone says "Best Rapper Alive" because they think of their favourite rappers who in reality probably fell of 10-15 years ago but they still hold on to that legacy. Whoever mentioned Chuck D is crazy, PE are legendary, but if Chuck and Kendrick both dropped tomorrow you would really wanna listen to Chuck's new album first and expect it to be better? smh

I think we need to wait for GKMC to drop before we starting throwing round the Best Rapper Alive title though.

ICHI THE KILLER

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
People act like Section 80 wasn't the best album to drop last year. T

cuz simply it wasnt  ::) ::)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 04:19:02 PM »
One of the more recent Chuck D tracks with PE, "Harder Than You Think" was used all over the Olympics coverage and it re-charted

So yeah, newer Chuck D stuff is better than Kendrick, not even having to go back to the 80s stuff...

Jimmy H.

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »
lol Tech N9ne is lightyears ahead of Kendrick, as far as rappin goes. Lynch is still puttin out great records with his "Mannibalector" trilogy....Raided just put out a new album which rapping-wise, destroy's anything Kendrick has done. you got a super group in Slaughterhouse, who have Royce and Crooked I. You got underground rappers who would lyrically destroy Kendrick, like Locksmith, Ill Bill, etc..even as far as new school rappers, u got a few cats like Big Krit, Curren$y, etc. who are at least on Kendricks level.... Kendrick is technically a beast behind the mic. but he hasnt really developed his character..there are rappers out there who are still undiscovered who are better. to say he's "the best rapper alive" is a stretch.
I don't know I think, outside of Tech N9ne, Kendrick got it on a lot of them. Slaughterhouse are exceptional lyricists but I think Kendrick might be the stronger artist. Best rapper alive is definitely a premature statement but the guy has some hot records at the moment. We'll see what he does with this Aftermath release. Album is make or break to me. There's a lot of super-talented MC's out there but truly great albums are hard to come by. He is one of those artists that has me excited about music at the moment but we'll see if he has longevity with it.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2012, 11:46:18 PM »
Not even close. Section 80 was dope but wasn't even the best album of the year, let alone of the past few years. I'd consider him one of the best "newer" rappers though.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2012, 11:55:26 PM »

No offense but I dont see any of these artist you mentioned dropping a better album than Kendrick anytime soon.  Chuck D?  Cmon dude, maybe in 88!

Check out MA DOOM: Son of Yvonne, Undun, Trophies, Life is Good, and Riches, Royalty, Respect.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2012, 11:58:22 PM »
People act like Section 80 wasn't the best album to drop last year.

It wasn't. It wasn't even the best west coast album that year. Go listen to Thurz - LA Riot. A debut concept album about the 92 LA Riots.