Author Topic: Is Kendrick Lamar the best rapper alive? (Right now)  (Read 1263 times)

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Is Kendrick Lamar the best rapper alive? (Right now)
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2012, 01:55:18 AM »
There's definitely a case for Kendrick to be the best rapper in the game at the moment. He's without a shadow of a doubt the best on the west coast, but to start mentioning people like AZ, Ghostface, c'mon now. All time sure they take the cake but they're not dropping music like Kendrick right now. Most rappers nowadays can't even do shows without rapping over their own vocals with the record playing in the background. Kendrick will rap purely without missing a breath and no vocals in the background, even with TOUGH verses like The Recipe. Dude didn't even stop to catch his breath. He's something special and soon everyone will notice it.

And LMAO @ anyone thinking Jay Rock or Nipsey is better than him, get real. I saw someone mention Tech N9ne, and I love tech, he raps his ass off. But half the time he isn't talking about shit on his records. Every single Kendrick song out there has substance, something missing from a lot of hip hop. Oh yeah, AND he doesn't brag about jewelry and cars which is a breath of fresh air.

Look back to my history, I said in 2009 that Kendrick was our best hope and that if more of the Westcoast took up his style we'd be in good shape. 3 years later TDE owns the Westcoast and Jay Rock (the TDE member who was afraid to step out of the box and still raps about shit like "bitch I'm thuggin") has by far the smallest buzz in the clique.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2012, 05:32:22 AM »
The one thing I haven't kind of been able to pin down with Kendrick, is how to sum him up easily for a mainstream audience like:

Eminem - crazy pill-popping white trash with sick battle rhymes
NWA/Dre/Game/etc. - group of LA gangstas
Public Enemy - political rap over noisy beats
Wu-Tang - raw hip-hop with Kung-Fu samples
A Tribe Called Quest - conscious Jazz rap
Snoop - laidback gangsta pimp
Cypress Hill - rock/rap weed smokers

Like most of the mainstream people have really obvious themes to latch onto, so they are easy to "get" for a large audience...

I don't know enough about Kendrick at all to know what his might be, but so far, it seems like, "guy from West Coast who is pretty good rapper"
Is that about right?

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2012, 05:37:34 AM »
Kendrick is good, I mean for this new generation he actually fits, he understood that it wasn't only about west coast but hiphop culture in general wich is why I think people are feeling him he is universal

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2012, 07:51:15 AM »
I doubt it ... let's compare Xzibit's album to his and then decide...

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2012, 10:09:24 AM »
He's without a shadow of a doubt the best on the west coast

Thurz? Blu? Fashawn? I like Kendrick but cmon now...

Sccit

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2012, 03:13:13 PM »
There's definitely a case for Kendrick to be the best rapper in the game at the moment. He's without a shadow of a doubt the best on the west coast, but to start mentioning people like AZ, Ghostface, c'mon now. All time sure they take the cake but they're not dropping music like Kendrick right now. Most rappers nowadays can't even do shows without rapping over their own vocals with the record playing in the background. Kendrick will rap purely without missing a breath and no vocals in the background, even with TOUGH verses like The Recipe. Dude didn't even stop to catch his breath. He's something special and soon everyone will notice it.

And LMAO @ anyone thinking Jay Rock or Nipsey is better than him, get real. I saw someone mention Tech N9ne, and I love tech, he raps his ass off. But half the time he isn't talking about shit on his records. Every single Kendrick song out there has substance, something missing from a lot of hip hop. Oh yeah, AND he doesn't brag about jewelry and cars which is a breath of fresh air.

Look back to my history, I said in 2009 that Kendrick was our best hope and that if more of the Westcoast took up his style we'd be in good shape. 3 years later TDE owns the Westcoast and Jay Rock (the TDE member who was afraid to step out of the box and still raps about shit like "bitch I'm thuggin") has by far the smallest buzz in the clique.

Tech N9ne does make bullshit songs, but he's still a much better rapper than Kendrick.......shit, i'd even put Hopsin over Kendrick.

Is he good? yes...one of the best nowadays? probably. but he is far from THEE best.

Sccit

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2012, 03:20:29 PM »
He's without a shadow of a doubt the best on the west coast

Thurz? Blu? Fashawn? I like Kendrick but cmon now...

theres hella unknown rappers who are at least as good as Kendrick..

g-macc, t-nutty, sav sicc, bleezo, g-mo, shady blaze, c-dubb, hd, young droop, cos etc

Jimmy H.

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »
But who is ever considered the BEST in their prime? Greatness is always generally judged in hindsight. When Eminem was doing his best work, you had just as many people scoffing at the idea of him being that "great". Pac and Big, kind of took on this iconic status following their murders. A lot of these artists who kind of fathered the industry have this advantage of being the ones who paved the way to where influence gets blurred with everything else. I mean, you're never going to judge the stuff you're hearing today and the stuff you grew up on with a level of equality. And no matter how fucking good a new artist is, he's always going to have deal with the credibility hurdles that come with being a "new artist".

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »
there are female rappers better than kendrick. rapsody's one of them.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
Re: Is Kendrick Lamar the best rapper alive?
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2012, 04:46:23 PM »
All the time Nas, Rakim, Ghostface, Masta Ace etc. are still alive, then no he's not.

Dude, I can name guys in the WEST who are better than Masta ace, Ghostface RIGHT NOW. One is on my SIG.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:01:58 PM by LAC/EASTSIDE »
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2012, 05:19:21 PM »
And Fash, Blu, and Thurz are simply not on Kendrick's level. Boy Meets World is a classic, but is it Section 80 or even OD for that matter? No way.

aerroc

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2012, 05:37:55 PM »
 Kendrick Lamar will take the west some where it hasn't been in a long time

Fraxxx

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2012, 01:51:51 AM »
Obviously not the best gangsta rapper but yes, the best at what he does right now.
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2012, 10:41:12 AM »
Kendrick Lamar will take the west some where it hasn't been in a long time
no where.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

vincer

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2012, 12:20:58 PM »
all aboce comments are true--love him or hate him--eminem lyrically kills kendrick  not to mention--hottest rapper alive with one alum out?--kendrick is a breath of fresh air and good for westcoast..but no way greatest--ask again in 10 years