Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid M.A.A.D City (Official Discussion)  (Read 10361 times)

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid M.A.A.D City (Official Discussion)
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2012, 02:13:34 PM »
For the record, I like Kendrick a lot.  I think he is one of the best rappers out now.  This album was not that great though.  It may have been cool conceptually, but Kid Cudi, and others have done this shit years earlier.

And for one other thing, Kendrick is talked about as being super lyrical, which he can be, but really only compared to the average west coast rapper.  It the big picture, there are many more lyrical rappers.  I think he does a good job with his subjects, but he gets compared to below average rappers way too much.

Bottom line is he put out some heat. Album bangs but ain't close to a masterpiece.

People on here seem to only want to define shit in the extreme.

agreed...picked mine up this morning, really good album conceptually, but nowhere near a "masterpiece" like too many on this board only are hyping it to be..

its the dre association...half these cats wouldve never even listened to this if it wasnt for dres/aftermath affiliation with this record...if a piece of shit had dres name on it, i bet it gets labeled a masterpiece by at least a few people..

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
For the record, I like Kendrick a lot.  I think he is one of the best rappers out now.  This album was not that great though.  It may have been cool conceptually, but Kid Cudi, and others have done this shit years earlier.

And for one other thing, Kendrick is talked about as being super lyrical, which he can be, but really only compared to the average west coast rapper.  It the big picture, there are many more lyrical rappers.  I think he does a good job with his subjects, but he gets compared to below average rappers way too much.

Bottom line is he put out some heat. Album bangs but ain't close to a masterpiece.

agreed...picked mine up this morning, really good album conceptually, but nowhere near a "masterpiece" like too many on this board only are hyping it to be..

its the dre association...half these cats wouldve never even listened to this if it wasnt for dres/aftermath affiliation with this record...if a piece of shit had dres name on it, i bet it gets labeled a masterpiece by at least a few people..

Actually, the feedback on dubcc is a lot worse than on other outlets and reviews, where it is being called this generation's Illmatic and an instant classic. The feedback on dubcc hasn't been as extreme.

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2012, 02:17:39 PM »
For the record, I like Kendrick a lot.  I think he is one of the best rappers out now.  This album was not that great though.  It may have been cool conceptually, but Kid Cudi, and others have done this shit years earlier.

And for one other thing, Kendrick is talked about as being super lyrical, which he can be, but really only compared to the average west coast rapper.  It the big picture, there are many more lyrical rappers.  I think he does a good job with his subjects, but he gets compared to below average rappers way too much.

Actually, the feedback on dubcc is a lot worse than on other outlets and reviews, where it is being called this generation's Illmatic and an instant classic. The feedback on dubcc hasn't been as extreme.

my bad...guess i aint on those boards haha...

anyways with that being said, after a few days of reading all the posts, i finally bought it and it exceeded my expectations..a really good album..i just dont believe in calling something a masterpiece after a few days...weeks...months even...

Quadruple OG

« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »

The irony in all this is while critics and the majority of the online hip-hop world recognizes how great this album, the one site dedicated to West Coast Rap is downplaying the accomplishments of a West Coast artist releasing one of the best hip-hop albums in recent history.

Sccit

« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »

The irony in all this is while critics and the majority of the online hip-hop world recognizes how great this album, the one site dedicated to West Coast Rap is downplaying the accomplishments of a West Coast artist releasing one of the best hip-hop albums in recent history.

go check siccness...most of them cats didnt even know the album dropped. it makes sense that hip-hop outlets outside of the west are hyping this release the hardest. thats because the sound is not west coast. hip-hop heads in cali are typically on a completely different sound. its a good album, but those calling it "classic" or "masterpiece" are doin too much.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2012, 04:19:36 PM »
go check siccness...most of them cats didnt even know the album dropped. it makes sense that hip-hop outlets outside of the west are hyping this release the hardest. thats because the sound is not west coast. hip-hop heads in cali are typically on a completely different sound. its a good album, but those calling it "classic" or "masterpiece" are doin too much.

I don't go to Siccness often because outside of a couple artists, I'm not much into the newer Bay Area stuff. Was the thread below the one you're referring to?

http://www.siccness.net/vb/f5/kendrick-lamar%92s-%93good-kid-m-d-city%94-good-but-not-classic-354417-2.html

Contrary to what you said, "most of them cats" was one or two people. The rest had heard the album and praised it in one form of another. I've said multiple times I can't call it a classic now, however I can't think of a West Coast Rap album that has dropped within the past few years that blew me away like this one after the first few listens. The two quotes below from Siccness sums up the problem many of the people on this board have with moving on.

Maybe you dont have to sound like every other west coast rapper/album? You gotta adjust to the times, that's why i fucks with Kendrick because he's different than most rappers, his flow is not even West Coast if you think about it, he actually touches on all regions from west to east and in between. I havent heard the album yet but heard most tracks, and if you're going to bring the west coast back, not like he said he was going to, but if you are, you gotta fuck with different producers and different rappers.

People wonder why Bay Area rap goes nowhere, because we're stuck in the same pool, no one goes to producers from different areas, its all the same producers which is why it sounds the same.

what you want him to do rap over zapp beats wile braggin about slangin dope with his red rag around his 40 ounce of OE and yelling fuck the police and everybody needs to bow down cause he from the mighty untouchable west coast?

PLANT

« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »
kendrick lamar and gkmc are trending on twitter worldwide just reading through a few tweets from alot of major artists and industry people are talking big about this album

bouli77

« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »
yeah it's trending worlwide, out here i got friends and contacts who don't know shit about rap posting videos of kendrick on facebook. dude is hype.

Matty

« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »
they are paying to put him out there, it helps.

album is still sounding good, money trees 8)

PLANT

« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2012, 05:13:09 PM »
they are paying to put him out there, it helps.

album is still sounding good, money trees 8)
money trees is the shiiiiit 8)

Sccit

« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »

I don't go to Siccness often because outside of a couple artists, I'm not much into the newer Bay Area stuff. Was the thread below the one you're referring to?

http://www.siccness.net/vb/f5/kendrick-lamar%92s-%93good-kid-m-d-city%94-good-but-not-classic-354417-2.html

Contrary to what you said, "most of them cats" was one or two people. The rest had heard the album and praised it in one form of another. I've said multiple times I can't call it a classic now, however I can't think of a West Coast Rap album that has dropped within the past few years that blew me away like this one after the first few listens. The two quotes below from Siccness sums up the problem many of the people on this board have with moving on.

Maybe you dont have to sound like every other west coast rapper/album? You gotta adjust to the times, that's why i fucks with Kendrick because he's different than most rappers, his flow is not even West Coast if you think about it, he actually touches on all regions from west to east and in between. I havent heard the album yet but heard most tracks, and if you're going to bring the west coast back, not like he said he was going to, but if you are, you gotta fuck with different producers and different rappers.

People wonder why Bay Area rap goes nowhere, because we're stuck in the same pool, no one goes to producers from different areas, its all the same producers which is why it sounds the same.

what you want him to do rap over zapp beats wile braggin about slangin dope with his red rag around his 40 ounce of OE and yelling fuck the police and everybody needs to bow down cause he from the mighty untouchable west coast?

more like

Quote from: lenbiasyayo;5827413
his beats suck and his alien voice thing is annoying

I never thought it was gonna be a classic anyway and haven't heard someone else called it "the return of the west coast" or whatever

IMO dope album. Kendrick is a good story teller and that is missing these days. Not saying its a classic. But it's as solid or better then anything regional or west coast that has dropped recently. Props on a solid album

the tone on most west coast forums are different...theyre calling it anywhere from dope to whack, where the overwhelming majority on most hip-hop sites are treating it as a masterpiece.

PLANT

« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2012, 06:03:30 PM »

more like

I never thought it was gonna be a classic anyway and haven't heard someone else called it "the return of the west coast" or whatever

IMO dope album. Kendrick is a good story teller and that is missing these days. Not saying its a classic. But it's as solid or better then anything regional or west coast that has dropped recently. Props on a solid album

the tone on most west coast forums are different...theyre calling it anywhere from dope to whack, where the overwhelming majority on most hip-hop sites are treating it as a masterpiece.
I get your point...Quit hatin homie, youre basically saying the same shit in over and over again youre trying to hard

Sccit

« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »

more like

I get your point...Quit hatin homie, youre basically saying the same shit in over and over again youre trying to hard

wtf u talkin about? ol' sensitive ass mufucka. i was replyin 2 his question, my man

SUR GANG

• 'G'
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2012, 06:38:34 PM »
MONEY TREES best track on the album...  8)

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2012, 08:09:36 PM »
shit even Pharrell came correct on the production