Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid M.A.A.D City (Official Discussion)  (Read 10433 times)

mrkmaidog

Re: Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid M.A.A.D City (Official Discussion)
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2012, 09:08:58 PM »
copped the target deluxe edition and i must say its not bad. not the classic ppl are saying it is. some of the production isn't cutting for me. expected more. love the track with MC EIHT. solid album. dope lyrics,flow,content. i solid album. 4 outta 5 for now.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »
go check siccness...most of them cats didnt even know the album dropped. it makes sense that hip-hop outlets outside of the west are hyping this release the hardest. thats because the sound is not west coast. hip-hop heads in cali are typically on a completely different sound. its a good album, but those calling it "classic" or "masterpiece" are doin too much.

I don't go to Siccness often because outside of a couple artists, I'm not much into the newer Bay Area stuff. Was the thread below the one you're referring to?

http://www.siccness.net/vb/f5/kendrick-lamar%92s-%93good-kid-m-d-city%94-good-but-not-classic-354417-2.html

Contrary to what you said, "most of them cats" was one or two people. The rest had heard the album and praised it in one form of another. I've said multiple times I can't call it a classic now, however I can't think of a West Coast Rap album that has dropped within the past few years that blew me away like this one after the first few listens. The two quotes below from Siccness sums up the problem many of the people on this board have with moving on.

Maybe you dont have to sound like every other west coast rapper/album? You gotta adjust to the times, that's why i fucks with Kendrick because he's different than most rappers, his flow is not even West Coast if you think about it, he actually touches on all regions from west to east and in between. I havent heard the album yet but heard most tracks, and if you're going to bring the west coast back, not like he said he was going to, but if you are, you gotta fuck with different producers and different rappers.

People wonder why Bay Area rap goes nowhere, because we're stuck in the same pool, no one goes to producers from different areas, its all the same producers which is why it sounds the same.

what you want him to do rap over zapp beats wile braggin about slangin dope with his red rag around his 40 ounce of OE and yelling fuck the police and everybody needs to bow down cause he from the mighty untouchable west coast?

more like

Quote from: lenbiasyayo;5827413
his beats suck and his alien voice thing is annoying

I never thought it was gonna be a classic anyway and haven't heard someone else called it "the return of the west coast" or whatever

IMO dope album. Kendrick is a good story teller and that is missing these days. Not saying its a classic. But it's as solid or better then anything regional or west coast that has dropped recently. Props on a solid album

the tone on most west coast forums are different...theyre calling it anywhere from dope to whack, where the overwhelming majority on most hip-hop sites are treating it as a masterpiece.
I get your point...Quit hatin homie, youre basically saying the same shit in over and over again youre trying to hard

Thank you. This kid needs to carry on with his life. He's caught up in defending the "West Coast sound" & not just enjoying the music. He's always had backhanded things to say about Kendrick though. For that exact reason. NIK's ringtone is still "Ain't Nothin' But A G Thang" & has an Eazy-E poster on his wall. Dude won't rest until he does everything in his power to convince whoever he can that this is NOT CLOSE to being on the level of anything his non-lyrical West Coast favorites from the 90's all because Kendrick is new school & has a more innovative sound than anything that's come out of the West Coast in over a decade.

#Nostalgia

h2k4

« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2012, 09:47:57 PM »
After the first spin, it's a good effort from K. Dot.  The track that stands out the most so far is maad city.  Poetic Justice is a nice little track.  Not feeling the Mary J bonus track.  I feel like Section 80 is leaps ahead of this cd.  And I kind of expected that after finding out he would be signing to Aftermath.

I wish Ab-Soul, Q, and Punch were on this cd and not just on it as a bonus cut.  "Compton" seems like it was just thrown in there for the Dre factor.  "Sing About Me.." should have closed out this cd.

A good look for the young kid from Compton.

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2012, 11:14:07 PM »
Not really fuckin' much with hip-hop at the moment, but this is a quality release. Favourites are Good Kid and the intro track. I'm amazed how coherent the album sounds given how many producers are involved.

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2012, 11:15:44 PM »

The irony in all this is while critics and the majority of the online hip-hop world recognizes how great this album, the one site dedicated to West Coast Rap is downplaying the accomplishments of a West Coast artist releasing one of the best hip-hop albums in recent history.
i agree fully...and while i would hesitate to call it a classic, i can say that tracks like 'sing about me', 'black boy fly' and especially 'art of peer pressure' are fantastic...i haven't related to a track like 'art of...' in a while....I'm a cool decade older than this dude and his narrative on this track took me back haha....when you can cross a generation gap like that, backwards, that's saying something...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:21:40 PM by CHUCK KNOXXX »
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

doggfather

« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2012, 12:55:19 AM »
checkin right now!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sccit

« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2012, 02:08:19 AM »
go check siccness...most of them cats didnt even know the album dropped. it makes sense that hip-hop outlets outside of the west are hyping this release the hardest. thats because the sound is not west coast. hip-hop heads in cali are typically on a completely different sound. its a good album, but those calling it "classic" or "masterpiece" are doin too much.

I don't go to Siccness often because outside of a couple artists, I'm not much into the newer Bay Area stuff. Was the thread below the one you're referring to?

http://www.siccness.net/vb/f5/kendrick-lamar%92s-%93good-kid-m-d-city%94-good-but-not-classic-354417-2.html

Contrary to what you said, "most of them cats" was one or two people. The rest had heard the album and praised it in one form of another. I've said multiple times I can't call it a classic now, however I can't think of a West Coast Rap album that has dropped within the past few years that blew me away like this one after the first few listens. The two quotes below from Siccness sums up the problem many of the people on this board have with moving on.

Maybe you dont have to sound like every other west coast rapper/album? You gotta adjust to the times, that's why i fucks with Kendrick because he's different than most rappers, his flow is not even West Coast if you think about it, he actually touches on all regions from west to east and in between. I havent heard the album yet but heard most tracks, and if you're going to bring the west coast back, not like he said he was going to, but if you are, you gotta fuck with different producers and different rappers.

People wonder why Bay Area rap goes nowhere, because we're stuck in the same pool, no one goes to producers from different areas, its all the same producers which is why it sounds the same.

what you want him to do rap over zapp beats wile braggin about slangin dope with his red rag around his 40 ounce of OE and yelling fuck the police and everybody needs to bow down cause he from the mighty untouchable west coast?

more like

Quote from: lenbiasyayo;5827413
his beats suck and his alien voice thing is annoying

I never thought it was gonna be a classic anyway and haven't heard someone else called it "the return of the west coast" or whatever

IMO dope album. Kendrick is a good story teller and that is missing these days. Not saying its a classic. But it's as solid or better then anything regional or west coast that has dropped recently. Props on a solid album

the tone on most west coast forums are different...theyre calling it anywhere from dope to whack, where the overwhelming majority on most hip-hop sites are treating it as a masterpiece.
I get your point...Quit hatin homie, youre basically saying the same shit in over and over again youre trying to hard

Thank you. This kid needs to carry on with his life. He's caught up in defending the "West Coast sound" & not just enjoying the music. He's always had backhanded things to say about Kendrick though. For that exact reason. NIK's ringtone is still "Ain't Nothin' But A G Thang" & has an Eazy-E poster on his wall. Dude won't rest until he does everything in his power to convince whoever he can that this is NOT CLOSE to being on the level of anything his non-lyrical West Coast favorites from the 90's all because Kendrick is new school & has a more innovative sound than anything that's come out of the West Coast in over a decade.

#Nostalgia

tell us how u really feel, cham

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2012, 02:34:54 AM »
 Not sounding QUITE as good giving it a second listen, but i think thats because iam listening to it through my monitor speakers cos my boom box died on me a few days ago  :'( and doing shit so cant wear head phones.
 The skits stand out more now though, could've done without those, kinda like the Brotha lynch albums.
 My heads still noddin though  8)

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2012, 06:20:35 AM »
Thought this was supposed to have some crazy Dre track with Lady Gaga, originally from DETOX.  What happened?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2012, 07:50:58 AM »
kendrick is so overrated

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »
i wish he didnt have no deluxe version and shit to me it kind of ruins the concept of the album. thats what ruins classic albums IMO. but i must say i was a tad bit disappointed with the mc eiht track. i was expecting mc eiht to come hard with some witty shit but nope same old mc eiht. but the story throughout is fucking great tho.

jman91331

« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2012, 10:18:55 AM »
To the people saying it's not West Coast enough must not be from out here because the story he's telling is straight LA. The type of shit that happens to him in the story is going on & been going on in these streets.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »
i wish he didnt have no deluxe version and shit to me it kind of ruins the concept of the album. thats what ruins classic albums IMO. but i must say i was a tad bit disappointed with the mc eiht track. i was expecting mc eiht to come hard with some witty shit but nope same old mc eiht. but the story throughout is fucking great tho.

well if u buy the deluxe version of the CD it separates the regular album 12 tracks from the 3 bonus tracks.. 2 different cd's so it doesnt ruin the concept of the album.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »
To the people saying it's not West Coast enough must not be from out here because the story he's telling is straight LA. The type of shit that happens to him in the story is going on & been going on in these streets.

They are upset because of the lack of Zapp & Gap Band samples that have been used time and time again.

The MC Eiht track was my favorite on the cd. Eiht killed that beat.

Thought this was supposed to have some crazy Dre track with Lady Gaga, originally from DETOX.  What happened?

Taken off the cd. Gaga said she didn't agree with the direction the song was being taken in by the guys producing it, even though she was just featuring on it.

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2012, 10:33:19 AM »

They are upset because of the lack of Zapp & Gap Band samples that have been used time and time again.

The MC Eiht track was my favorite on the cd. Eiht killed that beat.

Taken off the cd. Gaga said she didn't agree with the direction the song was being taken in by the guys producing it, even though she was just featuring on it.

i was more referring to him being a part of the concept of the story he had going on. i mean the song isnt bad but i dont think it is the best on the album. not one of the better ones IMO. i love the money tree song and bitch dont kill my vibe at this point. but i havent finished listening to the album i was in my zone when i was.