Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid M.A.A.D City (Official Discussion)  (Read 10444 times)

KrazySumwhat

Re: Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid M.A.A.D City (Official Discussion)
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2012, 10:13:25 PM »
 Sales(projected) looking impressive.
 Gonna give this album a decent listen in my car and through a top end sound system at my dads on the weekend. Looking forward to that.

Sccit

« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2012, 11:30:37 PM »
NIK I suggest you stop posting in this thread.  You are looking more and more like a straight hater after stating the same points over and over and trying to convince people this album does not sound as good as they think.  Just stop, man. 

Its not your job to tell someone what to like, or what they want/ think the music should sound like.  Make your point and move on.

stop getting emotional. my last post was asking dude if he heard the current top-40 hit sound in kendrick's album, not about it lacking a regional sound. completely different. ur gettin way too sensitive bout the whole thing, brobro.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2012, 12:15:12 AM »
go check siccness...most of them cats didnt even know the album dropped. it makes sense that hip-hop outlets outside of the west are hyping this release the hardest. thats because the sound is not west coast. hip-hop heads in cali are typically on a completely different sound. its a good album, but those calling it "classic" or "masterpiece" are doin too much.

I don't go to Siccness often because outside of a couple artists, I'm not much into the newer Bay Area stuff. Was the thread below the one you're referring to?

http://www.siccness.net/vb/f5/kendrick-lamar%92s-%93good-kid-m-d-city%94-good-but-not-classic-354417-2.html

Contrary to what you said, "most of them cats" was one or two people. The rest had heard the album and praised it in one form of another. I've said multiple times I can't call it a classic now, however I can't think of a West Coast Rap album that has dropped within the past few years that blew me away like this one after the first few listens. The two quotes below from Siccness sums up the problem many of the people on this board have with moving on.

Maybe you dont have to sound like every other west coast rapper/album? You gotta adjust to the times, that's why i fucks with Kendrick because he's different than most rappers, his flow is not even West Coast if you think about it, he actually touches on all regions from west to east and in between. I havent heard the album yet but heard most tracks, and if you're going to bring the west coast back, not like he said he was going to, but if you are, you gotta fuck with different producers and different rappers.

People wonder why Bay Area rap goes nowhere, because we're stuck in the same pool, no one goes to producers from different areas, its all the same producers which is why it sounds the same.

what you want him to do rap over zapp beats wile braggin about slangin dope with his red rag around his 40 ounce of OE and yelling fuck the police and everybody needs to bow down cause he from the mighty untouchable west coast?

more like

Quote from: lenbiasyayo;5827413
his beats suck and his alien voice thing is annoying

I never thought it was gonna be a classic anyway and haven't heard someone else called it "the return of the west coast" or whatever

IMO dope album. Kendrick is a good story teller and that is missing these days. Not saying its a classic. But it's as solid or better then anything regional or west coast that has dropped recently. Props on a solid album

the tone on most west coast forums are different...theyre calling it anywhere from dope to whack, where the overwhelming majority on most hip-hop sites are treating it as a masterpiece.
I get your point...Quit hatin homie, youre basically saying the same shit in over and over again youre trying to hard

Thank you. This kid needs to carry on with his life. He's caught up in defending the "West Coast sound" & not just enjoying the music. He's always had backhanded things to say about Kendrick though. For that exact reason. NIK's ringtone is still "Ain't Nothin' But A G Thang" & has an Eazy-E poster on his wall. Dude won't rest until he does everything in his power to convince whoever he can that this is NOT CLOSE to being on the level of anything his non-lyrical West Coast favorites from the 90's all because Kendrick is new school & has a more innovative sound than anything that's come out of the West Coast in over a decade.

#Nostalgia

Haha I was reading this thinking "Yo this dude is on point" then I scroll up and see it's the homie Cham coming through to crush the buildings 8).

This album has been given a XXL and a 9.5 on Pitchfork, it's Metacritic rating is right up there. This album will be hailed as a West Coast classic, album is being talked about by literally everyone, it's a moment in hip hop. I'm just gonna appreciate it cos I've been riding with Kendrick for a few years now and it's dope to see him living up to his potential without sacrificing his artistic integrity.

"Backseat Freestyle" is dope, really gives me that vibe of when I was a teen, freestyling drunk in the backseat of the homies car, cruising round up to bullshit or on the way to a party, he nailed the feeling. "Money Trees" is probably my favourite track at the moment though.

In my opinion, by the end of 2012 TDE could have arguably 3 of the top 5 albums this year

bouli77

« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2012, 03:10:26 AM »
west coast fuck it la/compton fans will never be happy...this nigga can put the west on the map....hell his whole crew some mic wreckers...

but niggas want that same old tired bullshit...

yeah exactly... i understand nikcc's opinion about the lack of regional sound but I think that's just Kendrick's style though. it would be disappointing to hear him spit on beats that sound cliché. i haven't listened to GKMC (waiting for my copy), but at least, and unlike slaughterhouse he didn't reach for the likes of alex da kid... I liked the beats a lot on S.80 and if he stuck with that vibe i'd be happy. kendrick's content is westcoast as it gets though, and that's the most important thing in my eyes. why conform to a so-called "regional sound" ? it would be a problem if kendrick's shit sounded unauthentic, but I think he sounds authentic (i mean at least on section .80), dude got his own steez (as his camp does), regardless of the obvious inspirations, he ain't mimicking 3 stacks, he just sounds kinda like him, that's a big difference, not like Da Brat who was clearly biting DPG (i liked it still) or Tha Realest (who i like to some extent, too).

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2012, 03:17:38 AM »
It would be a clear message to all those corporate jews to leave the creative control to the artists themselves.

i dont get it...am i the only one who hears that "backseat freestyle" sounds like it could be a lil wayne track? "poetic justice" is your typical drake song...the first half of "m.a.a.d city" could be the new kanye. i dont get how so many of yall hear a "lack of industry sound" with the album? i got the exact opposite vibe from a lot of it.

Yeah, I honestly don't get it either, sounds like pretty typical mainstream sound to me, just with different content and a bit better rapping...

I can understand people loving it for the concept album thing, but the overall sound, I don't get why people think this is something new,
it's pretty standard stuff as far as beats and delivery, etc.

NME gave it a 6/10 review, so it's not like it has universal acclaim...

Rickdeeznutz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2012, 03:28:43 AM »
Wow, I'm really impressed with the album! When I first listened to the snippets, I was incredibly let down, but after all the positive feedback it was getting from the leak, I went and picked up the Target Delux edition and I'm blown away! This is top notch hip hop! Been a huge Kendrick fan since the beginning and I was doubtful he could top Section 80, but he did it, this album is almost flawless! Love the way it flows, Kendrick comes correct of course, beats are on point. K Dot did it, proud of the homie, good to see somone from the west, have major hype and live up to it and surpass it! He is the future of not just the westcoast but the future of hip hop! By the way, 7 out of 8 Targets within a 30 minute radius in So.Ca were sold out of the delux edition, I had drive 30 minutes to cop it. Hip hop has a new king, heres to Top Dawg taking over!!

Quadruple OG

« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2012, 07:02:49 AM »
west coast fuck it la/compton fans will never be happy...this nigga can put the west on the map....hell his whole crew some mic wreckers...

but niggas want that same old tired bullshit...

yeah exactly... i understand nikcc's opinion about the lack of regional sound but I think that's just Kendrick's style though. it would be disappointing to hear him spit on beats that sound cliché. i haven't listened to GKMC (waiting for my copy), but at least, and unlike slaughterhouse he didn't reach for the likes of alex da kid... I liked the beats a lot on S.80 and if he stuck with that vibe i'd be happy. kendrick's content is westcoast as it gets though, and that's the most important thing in my eyes. why conform to a so-called "regional sound" ? it would be a problem if kendrick's shit sounded unauthentic, but I think he sounds authentic (i mean at least on section .80), dude got his own steez (as his camp does), regardless of the obvious inspirations, he ain't mimicking 3 stacks, he just sounds kinda like him, that's a big difference, not like Da Brat who was clearly biting DPG (i liked it still) or Tha Realest (who i like to some extent, too).

Exactly. Glad Kendrick did his own thing and didn't go for the cliche west coast sound you would expect from a cd released by a Southern Cali artist.

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2012, 08:07:37 AM »
i dont understand all your guys love for money trees..its one of my least favs on the album..bores me...oh well..

jman91331

« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »
How Shyne outta all people gonna call Kendrick's album trash when he ain't had anything remotely close to a classic? He said the beats were trash when his best beat in his whole career was a D.O.C/Dr. Dre loop. Kendrick Lamar will, rap circles around this clown. His claim to fame was coming out as a Biggie sound alike & now he can't even do that right. Wow! http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.21628/title.shyne-explains-why-he-thinks-kendrick-lamars-good-kid-maad-city-is-trash/

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2012, 10:25:38 AM »
i like what ive heard of it so far but i read someone said something here about three stacks i get that when he does his singing double layered nasal thing he does and i ont care for it.

i think that it has classic qualities but a few things like replay value, cultural impact and how well it ages all need to be assessed to be a real true classic.

ppl say everythings classic nowadays, we were having this convo about ross album a few months ago

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »
It would be a clear message to all those corporate jews to leave the creative control to the artists themselves.

i dont get it...am i the only one who hears that "backseat freestyle" sounds like it could be a lil wayne track? "poetic justice" is your typical drake song...the first half of "m.a.a.d city" could be the new kanye. i dont get how so many of yall hear a "lack of industry sound" with the album? i got the exact opposite vibe from a lot of it.

Yeah, I honestly don't get it either, sounds like pretty typical mainstream sound to me, just with different content and a bit better rapping...

I can understand people loving it for the concept album thing, but the overall sound, I don't get why people think this is something new,
it's pretty standard stuff as far as beats and delivery, etc.

NME gave it a 6/10 review, so it's not like it has universal acclaim...

NME gave RAP Music a 5/10, they aren't exactly hip hop experts

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2012, 11:41:15 AM »
go check siccness...most of them cats didnt even know the album dropped. it makes sense that hip-hop outlets outside of the west are hyping this release the hardest. thats because the sound is not west coast. hip-hop heads in cali are typically on a completely different sound. its a good album, but those calling it "classic" or "masterpiece" are doin too much.

I don't go to Siccness often because outside of a couple artists, I'm not much into the newer Bay Area stuff. Was the thread below the one you're referring to?

http://www.siccness.net/vb/f5/kendrick-lamar%92s-%93good-kid-m-d-city%94-good-but-not-classic-354417-2.html

Contrary to what you said, "most of them cats" was one or two people. The rest had heard the album and praised it in one form of another. I've said multiple times I can't call it a classic now, however I can't think of a West Coast Rap album that has dropped within the past few years that blew me away like this one after the first few listens. The two quotes below from Siccness sums up the problem many of the people on this board have with moving on.

Maybe you dont have to sound like every other west coast rapper/album? You gotta adjust to the times, that's why i fucks with Kendrick because he's different than most rappers, his flow is not even West Coast if you think about it, he actually touches on all regions from west to east and in between. I havent heard the album yet but heard most tracks, and if you're going to bring the west coast back, not like he said he was going to, but if you are, you gotta fuck with different producers and different rappers.

People wonder why Bay Area rap goes nowhere, because we're stuck in the same pool, no one goes to producers from different areas, its all the same producers which is why it sounds the same.

what you want him to do rap over zapp beats wile braggin about slangin dope with his red rag around his 40 ounce of OE and yelling fuck the police and everybody needs to bow down cause he from the mighty untouchable west coast?

more like

Quote from: lenbiasyayo;5827413
his beats suck and his alien voice thing is annoying

I never thought it was gonna be a classic anyway and haven't heard someone else called it "the return of the west coast" or whatever

IMO dope album. Kendrick is a good story teller and that is missing these days. Not saying its a classic. But it's as solid or better then anything regional or west coast that has dropped recently. Props on a solid album

the tone on most west coast forums are different...theyre calling it anywhere from dope to whack, where the overwhelming majority on most hip-hop sites are treating it as a masterpiece.
I get your point...Quit hatin homie, youre basically saying the same shit in over and over again youre trying to hard

Thank you. This kid needs to carry on with his life. He's caught up in defending the "West Coast sound" & not just enjoying the music. He's always had backhanded things to say about Kendrick though. For that exact reason. NIK's ringtone is still "Ain't Nothin' But A G Thang" & has an Eazy-E poster on his wall. Dude won't rest until he does everything in his power to convince whoever he can that this is NOT CLOSE to being on the level of anything his non-lyrical West Coast favorites from the 90's all because Kendrick is new school & has a more innovative sound than anything that's come out of the West Coast in over a decade.

#Nostalgia

Haha I was reading this thinking "Yo this dude is on point" then I scroll up and see it's the homie Cham coming through to crush the buildings 8).

This album has been given a XXL and a 9.5 on Pitchfork, it's Metacritic rating is right up there. This album will be hailed as a West Coast classic, album is being talked about by literally everyone, it's a moment in hip hop. I'm just gonna appreciate it cos I've been riding with Kendrick for a few years now and it's dope to see him living up to his potential without sacrificing his artistic integrity.

"Backseat Freestyle" is dope, really gives me that vibe of when I was a teen, freestyling drunk in the backseat of the homies car, cruising round up to bullshit or on the way to a party, he nailed the feeling. "Money Trees" is probably my favourite track at the moment though.

In my opinion, by the end of 2012 TDE could have arguably 3 of the top 5 albums this year

Thank you for seeing this albums pure dopeness. I don't see how people are comparing it to a mainstream album. It's far ahead lyrically of any act today. Guys like NIK comparing it to Wayne, Drake & Kanye. Foooooolish. So much more lyrical than them.

It's actually more lyrical than anything you can find on the West Coast aside from Crooked I & Murs.

Like I said, those who find this album "average" or "okay" or whatever are just defending their mid-90's roots & don't want the word "classic" being thrown around to a kid of the game. The idea of some "new school kid" getting the same praise people used to give those old school dudes, just turns them off to his music.

It's why the Coast has struggled for the last decade+. It's a reason why the Game got so much attention. Outside of the fact Aftermath lead him towards a mainstream sound, all he did was namedrop & praise legends. Nobody will ever amount to the 90's guys to some posters here. It's just the sickest case of nostoglia of all-time.

bouli77

« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2012, 11:50:12 AM »
i think that it has classic qualities but a few things like replay value, cultural impact and how well it ages all need to be assessed to be a real true classic.

right on, only time will tell... nowadays with the social media being in its heyday, things often become a snowball effect and people exaggerate a lot but in the end the music rarely stands the test of time. culturally wise i think kendrick is as relevant as can be, dude is young, he embodies and symbolizes a significant part of today's youth, he ain't stuck in the past and he's on a positive tip that you always get by upcoming mainstream rappers ("fuck your ethnicity", "you ain't gotta get drunk to have fun") plus he really represents the good part of newer westcoast artists (i think the term new west is dated) . this is one of the most important ingredient to define a classic regardless of the actual quality. the impact you manage to make. a lot of classics out here aren't better music wise than a lot of albums that came out at the same time but didn't make the same noise and maybe weren't as relevant. the actual quality and replay value are vital factors too but idk about them for now.

then again he sold 200k which is awesome for kendrick but isn't comparable to the Kanye's, Drake's, Weezy's etc. i think the pick for the second single and the way it's gonna be pushed is gonna be dramatic.

Like I said, those who find this album "average" or "okay" or whatever are just defending their mid-90's roots & don't want the word "classic" being thrown around to a kid of the game. The idea of some "new school kid" getting the same praise people used to give those old school dudes, just turns them off to his music.

i think you read into it too much. there's people that just don't like kendrick's nerdiness, and that don't like his style while acknowledging the indisputable talent  and that just don't like the type of rap he's doing, with all the crazy hooks, the weird bridges and choruses. and there are people who expected a traditional rap album and didn't get that. ppl who think the kid got too much praise in the first place and are bothered by so much laudatory comments. there are multiple reasons not to call this album classic. i think it's too soon to judge anyway. but i don't have any expectation soundwise coming from the album, cause k dot is pretty unpredictable, i just hope he'll deliver as he did on section .80

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2012, 01:49:59 PM »
kendrick said himself its too early to call it a classic...told yall to wait 10 years...lmao...

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2012, 03:39:43 PM »

i think you read into it too much. there's people that just don't like kendrick's nerdiness, and that don't like his style while acknowledging the indisputable talent  and that just don't like the type of rap he's doing, with all the crazy hooks, the weird bridges and choruses. and there are people who expected a traditional rap album and didn't get that. ppl who think the kid got too much praise in the first place and are bothered by so much laudatory comments. there are multiple reasons not to call this album classic. i think it's too soon to judge anyway. but i don't have any expectation soundwise coming from the album, cause k dot is pretty unpredictable, i just hope he'll deliver as he did on section .80

Na, rest assured if this was a Tupac album after he said he's trying a "new direction", this would be considered in the highest regard.

It's just human nature. Old heads never want to see new heads come in & change shit.