Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid M.A.A.D City (Official Discussion)  (Read 10430 times)

Sccit

Re: Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid M.A.A.D City (Official Discussion)
« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:09 PM »
Open-minded? You already admit to being close-minded by grading this album based off it's "West Coast vibe". It's a Hip Hop album, I rate it based off the genre...mostly because I listen to a wide variety of music. Like when "Life Is Good" came out I didn't sit there & wonder if it had a New York feel to it. It was just really good Hip Hop. This is just really good Hip Hop. I don't sit there & say, "Welllll, in comparison to other West Coast legends who also happen to be my favorite rappers of all-time.....this just doesn't sound the same". Bottom line, it doesn't matter how West Coast it sounds, artists don't get graded based off how much they stuck to the sound of their region.

Nothing you said really had anything to do with his music. Everything above this is just you comparing him to the 90's, which is my point. This album basically isn't "West Coast enough" for you, when to me I just compare to everything else put out, without a region or particular sound in mind. Then you want to compare him to other mainstream rappers when he's clearly more unique than them. Just because he did a song with Drake & it was for the ladies....hence the Drake feature, doesn't mean he's trying to be like Drake. He has his own sound.

Like I said, you've been saying things like "I don't see what the big deal is about him" for months now. No shocker when the album comes out you're the first to try your hardest to knock it off the pedestal.

when i say he lacks charisma and doesn't have a signature style of his own, does that also fall into the category of "not having anything to do with his music"? LOL you dont get it. it's okay. i don't expect u to. i didn't once "compare him to the 90s" like u claim. i never thought kendrick was a great rapper, i always thought he was good. but when "the recipe" dropped and i found out dre was puttin his album out, i thought it had potential to be special, because he's a good technical rapper, and dre brings out the best in people. then when cats started talkin about it being classic and called a masterpiece before i got the chance to bump it, i was even gettin hyped. i still think it's good, it just wasnt that special somethin i was expectin.

Okka

« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2012, 12:23:18 AM »
If you don't like the new album, it's cool. No need to say it over and over again in different threads.

Sccit

« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2012, 12:27:56 AM »
If you don't like the new album, it's cool. No need to say it over and over again in different threads.

Are u trollin? Where did I say I don't like it.. I was simply responding to cham's nonsense rant about me. Keep up.

Okka

« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2012, 12:29:27 AM »

Are u trollin? Where did I say I don't like it.. I was simply responding to cham's nonsense rant about me. Keep up.

Actually, i wasn't talkin' about you right now. If you read the other threads you'll see a few names that keep dissin the album.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2012, 01:13:50 AM »

Actually, i wasn't talkin' about you right now. If you read the other threads you'll see a few names that keep dissin the album.

If the shoe fits wear it though?

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2012, 08:36:07 AM »
yall better get with the trap drums that zapp clap shit is DEAD.

no seriously if you took a song like dnt kill my vibe or even swimming pools add a zapp clapp take out the 808s and the screwed voice these nerds would be happy

everytime i play dudes cd i like it more

art put me on to kdot....he put the HOC song on one of his mixes a couple years ago.

Westdog

« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2012, 08:54:27 AM »
Good! very good album!everytime i play this cd i like it more and more
This my town, I run it, you walk it
You just now learnin’ the game, I taught it

Westcoastfanatic

« Reply #202 on: October 25, 2012, 10:10:42 AM »
Good album. Don't think it's a classic though. I know a classic when I hear one. Classic is when more than like 70% of an album makes you go  :o :o :o :o :o
Definitely not the case with this album.
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »
To be fair & clarify, I don't think this album is a "classic" & never said it was. It's a 9.5/10 though. Easily the best album the West Coast has produced since "The Documentary" or "Guilty By Affiliation". Easily, bar for bar, the best mainstream, label promoted, 250k+ selling album since...I couldn't even tell you. & easily album of the year to this point.

hellawear9

• Lil Geezy
  • www.hellagraphicz.com
« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »
album is nice nut yo

can someone hookup a link i had this song by kdot aka kendrick called NWA Produced by Fredreck, and another called Lilla Kali By J-rock and K-dot
had both but  CPU hard drive went out

thx!!!!!!!

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #205 on: October 25, 2012, 09:35:16 PM »
 Been listening to it a bit more in my car. And yeah, its good but its not an instant classic i dont think. I like how its experimental but some of it works some dosent. I think hes a really good rapper but some verses he just don't rap that good or dose weird shit with his voice.
 And i definitely see what people mean about some of the beats and "sound" being a bit generic/typical modern rap sounding/southern influence etc.
 But iam liking the album.

pixtr

« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2012, 06:06:54 AM »
when 1st week sale?

Quadruple OG

« Reply #207 on: October 26, 2012, 06:31:17 AM »
when 1st week sale?

Usually announce it by the Monday after the cd drops. Right now projections have it between 200-250k.

pixtr

« Reply #208 on: October 26, 2012, 07:18:46 AM »
when 1st week sale?

Usually announce it by the Monday after the cd drops. Right now projections have it between 200-250k.
just wonder how long time takes gkmc go to gold by riaa

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »
Only thing that annoys me about this album is how tracks/skits are grouped together. Imagine if this was a Snoop Dogg album - this shit would be divided up into 30 tracks. But the good side of that is that you can make your own playlists without unneccesary skits. Particularly the grouping of Sing For Me and Dying Of Thirst annoys me. I don't really like Sing For Me, but I'm down with Dying Of Thirst. Pisses me off that I can't listen to the latter without having to go through the former. Also, I think the two parts of "m.A.A.d City" should be divided. The second part is fuckin' fire, the first part is just OK.

Favourite joints:

1. Good Kid
People are sleeping on this. Pharell came correct on the beat. Kendrick spits fire. My favourite hip hop track of 2012 by far.

2. Swimming Pools (drank)
I was sleeping on this initially, but damn that is fire. THIS is how you write an insanely catchy pop chorus without getting corny. Other rappers take note. And I love the fact that its a "commercial" song on the surface, but has a serious message.

3. m.A.A.d City
The first part doesn't do much for me, but the second part is an instant classic. Classic hip-hop beat. Kendricks verse when the beat breaks down and they do the pitch effects...OMFG! This is hip-hop.

4. Sherane A.K.A. Master Splinters Daughter
Kendrick is a masterful storyteller. Love his laid back "storytelling" voice and this beat is my shit. Real melancholy shit.

5. Now Or Never
People are sleeping on this too. This is just a really really good classic soulful popsong reminiscent of the 70's. Doesn't fit the mood of the album, so rightfully relegated to bonus track status, but I gotta say I love it.

Lots of other hot tracks on this, but those would be my favourites after about 8-10 listens or so.