Author Topic: The Firm album wasnt that bad...  (Read 995 times)

Remedy360

Re: The Firm album wasnt that bad...
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 04:46:05 PM »

I actually missed that part. What's the appeal in St. Louis?

St. Louis has no appeal really.   It's just that I wouldn't feel free busking in my own city.  I want to be in an unfamiliar place where nobody knows me, free of expectation and all inhibition...

...So that I can enter the city like a jinn from a long-forgotten time, have people witness something they've never seen before, and then disapear into the night like a ghost, leaving them to wonder if what they saw was really real.

How did that  go?

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 02:09:09 AM »

How did that  go?

It was a very unique experience.  Because it's a very novel pursuit, so there is really no precedent for it.  You experience things you wouldn't normally experience.  Like, for example, many people would pass by and try to act like they didn't notice me... but you wanna know some crazy shit... I COULD ACTUALLY SENSE WHAT THEY WERE THINKING!  It was like a 6th sense I had in that moment that I don't normally have.  Not for every passerby, but for many of them.  Like an older white lady passed by and I could actually sense what she was thinking, she was thinking, "GET ME A THOUSAND MILES AWAY FROM THIS GUY, QUICK!".   Even that was cool, to piss somebody off like that, because I think it speaks to something that's beneath the surface and allows it to be out in the open.   Instead of us just being ants in an ant colony.

Then you always get those one or two people that really appreciate it and stop and listen and give you props.  That kind of shit makes it all worth it.  You really connect on a deeper level, because the type of shit I was freestyling about was was way out there.  So when somebody accepts something so fringe it's a cool feeling.  It's like recognizing the existence of something that is supposed to remain hidden. 

I mean, I'm obviously not the first to ever do it.  In fact, I remember one nerdy white dude was doing it out at the plaza here in Kansas City one day back when I was 19, and I joined him for a while.  Back then I had a D12 hat on and most my freestyles sounded were like bitten off Em/D12.   But the nerdy white dude was fucking dope, he was rapping about aliens coming to take over America and all types of wacked out shit.   He wasn't really hustling for change, but actually selling some cd's that he was featured on for about $5.00.  I don't think he sold hardly any while I was with him, except for the copy I got.  But the dude was cool as fuck, and his girlfriend was there with him and I took them out to eat afterwards.  They were two of the most down to earth people I've ever met in my life.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 09:37:41 PM »
the album was good...just not a classic, as most everyone expected when it was announced. still slaps, though

Will_B

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 12:58:32 AM »
the album was good...just not a classic, as most everyone expected when it was announced. still slaps, though

It's the anticipointment thing

HighEyeCue

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 05:03:56 AM »

yeah just like the Aftermath compilation both albums have as many weak tracks as dope ones

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 01:03:53 PM »
word  8)
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 01:05:24 PM »

yeah just like the Aftermath compilation both albums have as many weak tracks as dope ones

But yet here we are in 2012 and I can still bump both those albums and they still sound good.  Both were dissapointing when they dropped, yet they have stood the test of time.  No doubt they both had filler, which is probably why Dre hates to rush any album.  You can hear in both of them the makings of a classics, they just needed more time.  There was probably pressure for Dre to hurry up and drop the Aftermath album because the "East Coast/West Coast Killaz" joint was a very timely track that needed to be released in 96 while the East West beef was still relevent.   The the Firm album I think Nas was feeding into his own hype too much at the time with the Nas Escobar thing, and Dre says he only spent like 10 days really working with them, so the album ultimately fell short.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

BabyBird

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »
the firm album was a bust !!!

BabyBird

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 01:21:55 PM »