Author Topic: Dove Shack - This Is The Shack  (Read 1416 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

Dove Shack - This Is The Shack
« on: June 12, 2002, 08:25:54 AM »
Dove Shack – This Is the Shack

After appearing on Warren G’s Regulate: G Funk Era, the Dove Shack released this, their first album in 1995 on Warren’s G Funk Def Jam imprint. Although the album didn’t receive much commercial success, the lead single Summertime In The LBC became a summer hit, and got quite a lot of airplay. But could they continue the brilliance of Warren G’s own album and that of the Twinz another group of Warren’s protégés?

Intro

Smoke Out – the first real track on the album and it is that typical laid back G Funk. All of The Dove Shack brings something slightly different to the table, whilst still being able to flow together which is a refreshing sight. Good lyrics, and a nice laid back hook and beat make this a great start to the album. 4.5/5

This Is The Shack – many people will have already have heard this track from Warren G’s Regulate album, but it makes a welcome appearance on this album. The intro to the track is pure comedy, and the track itself is pure class, with smooth rapping from the group and a good, if a little high pitch hook. 5/5

Summertime In The LBC – this has got to be the one of, if not the best laid back summer groove ever. B-Roc brings quality Nate Dogg esque vocals to a perfect laid back G Funk beat, and everything just fits together perfectly with a sing along hook this song is pure brilliance. 5/5

Bomb Drop – this song goes away from the laid back G Funk we have seen so far, to a harder sound. The flows of the rappers are more aggressive on this track than the previous tracks and it has more of a gangster edge to it. However, I am not really feeling this track too much, and the hook is pretty forgettable. 3/5

The Train Skit

Fuck Ya Mouth – back to a more laid back beat for this track. The Dove Shack rap about coming up in the hood, talking about how it used to me back in the day. Another great hook and good performances by each of the rappers make this another good track. 4/5

Slap A Hoe Skit

Freestyle Interview Skit

Freestyle – this is more of a hard beat again, sounding like something off an Eazy E album or something like that. On this track all the members basically show their lyrical capabilities, and come off pretty well. This track has no hook and is just straight lyrics for 5 minutes, which I wouldn’t normally complain about, but the fact that none of the rappers are really all that engaging does mean that this track does get a bit boring by the end. 3/5

Crooked Cop Skit

Ghetto Life – basically a track talking about surviving in the ghetto and the struggles that they go through every day with runs in with the cops and all that. A nice hook by a female singer and nice storytelling by all the rappers, combined with another great laid back beat puts this album back on course. 4/5

East Side Party – this is basically the party track for the album, which manages to be up tempo and also keeps that laid back feel. Good lyrics by The Shack, mixed with the great singing of Bo Roc, make this another one of those laid back summertime tracks. 4/5

Rollin Wit A Gang – this once again has a laid back beat, with another great sung hook which is as memorable as anything else on the album. More laid back flows by The Shack with 2 Scoops coming off particularly well. 4/5

We Funk The G Funk – this song has to be one of my favourite three off of the album for sure. It basically shows what the G Funk sound is all about, another great hook (how many times have I said this about this album), good lyrics especially from C Knight and a great laid back beat. 5/5

There’ll Come A Day – Bo Roc brings another great singing performance to the table, backed up by some more great verses by both C Knight and 2 Scoops. The beat is simple but effective and the little woodwind instruments in the background on the hook compliment the song perfectly. 4.5/5

Summertime In The LBC (rap) – this version is basically the same as the one found earlier on the album apart from the fact that it has some rapping in it from the rest of the Shack, but the beat and most of the song stay the same. I still like it but I do feel it could be more different than the original and therefore it only gets. 4/5

Overall this album is a perfect album for cruising with in the summer, because it really is packed to the brim with laid back G Funk beats. Even though Warren G only produces one track on the album, he is the executive producer, and the producers that he picked to take his place certainly proved up to the task. The album has plenty of great tracks such as Summertime In The LBC, We Funk The G Funk and This Is The Shack, and really deserved to be more of a commercial success than it actually was. The only real problem with the album is the large number of skits, most of which get annoying after a while and it is perhaps a tad too short, but other than that, this is a perfect example of that laid back G Funk sound, and if you like that then you will love this album.

Overall: 9/10

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Smooth

Re: Dove Shack - This Is The Shack
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2002, 08:41:00 AM »
Dope review homie... Dove shack are dope as fuck... Ive been down with them since "Regulate: G Funk Era"... overall id give it a 9/10 and my favourite track is "We Funk The G Funk"
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

That_Cracka_J

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2002, 02:30:49 PM »
Nice review man.  I love "Summertime in the LBC" and "This is the Shack".

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2002, 06:56:28 AM »
I liked this album but I thought it didn't match up to the other G-Funk related classics Regulate... G-Funk Era and Conversation. Dove Shack brought hot lyrics and the production was hot but Warren G didn't do one beat! I think it would have been a classic if Warren handled all the production like he did on his debut and the Twinz debut. A lot of people consider this album a West Coast classic and I have no problem with that cause it's close IMO. Actually let me get back to y'all...

Maxin in the Shade

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Dove Shack - This Is The Shack
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 08:08:36 PM »
'Smoke Out' and 'Fuck Ya Mouth' are the two standouts on this album for me.
I love how Keith "Clizark" Clark uses those airy/dreamy keyboards that float over the top of the beat

perfect summer crusinig G-Funk beats!
 ;)
Always talkin bout the cash he got, the little pesos for shows
And God knows his materialistic raps and wack flows
are like Stay Free pads, fake V.I.P. rappers get garbage disposed
Unrecouped for his flamboyance and reflection
He's leasin rentin and frontin
- Kool Keith 'Haters'

dclee

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 06:35:22 PM »
good review, thanks! i definitely gotta pick this up someday since G-Funk is my favorite type of rap. also, bo-roc's appearances on Foesum - Perfection were awesome.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 08:15:08 PM »
Nice review.... what you said is right, Summertime in the LBC is the best summer joint ever!  And your other 4.5 tracks were on point
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 10:55:33 PM »
9 outta 10 are you fucc'n kidding me???????? seriously smh yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 05:13:11 AM »
May I just note that this is a review I did five years ago, in the summer, when I was a big west coast fan.

In the grand scheme of things the album is probably considered to be a 7/7.5 out of 10, but this section is based a lot more on personal opinion rather than trying to provide a balanced opinion as you would if writing such a review for a print publication. I would still maintain that this is one of my favourite album to listen to in the summer, alongside all the other G-Funk era albums and in that way it fulfils its purpose, hence the score given at the time.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 09:22:51 AM »
I don't get how you gave the boring Bo Roc only Summertime in the LBC a 5 and the perfect version with the raps a 4. it's the one they released for a reason.

SP0RTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside para vida
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 07:16:47 PM »
nice review to me 8/10

5 Albums I'm Bumping Right Now (In Order)
Blu & Exile- Below The Heavens
eMC- The Show
WC- Guily By Affiliation
Westside Connection- Bow Down
Wu Tang Clan- Enter the 36 Chambers

Maxin in the Shade

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 06:33:40 PM »
ive brought this back into my CD rotation, and im loving it even more

Bo-Roc has got an amazing smooth, laidback voice that suits the hooks perfectly.
Always talkin bout the cash he got, the little pesos for shows
And God knows his materialistic raps and wack flows
are like Stay Free pads, fake V.I.P. rappers get garbage disposed
Unrecouped for his flamboyance and reflection
He's leasin rentin and frontin
- Kool Keith 'Haters'

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 07:33:06 AM »

GFunkin

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 12:15:14 AM »
Smoke Out is one of the best g funk songs of all time. Silky smooth beat, Montell on the hook and some amazing flow throughout.  We Funk, Summertime in the LBC are good but after that the rest of the album doesn't do it for me. Fucc Ya Mouth has an incredible beat but the lyrics are lazy. The rest of the tracks don't even have a good beat to 'em.