Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic  (Read 2456 times)

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 06:59:06 AM »
Sounds familiar ?

!

which song on the album is supposed to sound like that beat?

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 07:00:55 AM »
Sounds familiar ?

!

Similar to the 2nd beat on m.A.A.d City. Well, kind of.

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 07:02:48 AM »
After first impression, spin 1, I'm undecided.  It's good but not great.  A very mellow feel to it and nothing gets me really amped.  I listened for production value mostly first time, content likes lyrics second and after.  

Production is smooth but not very aggressive.  Can be slow and plodding at times.  

After what we got from Xzibit, that was a west-coast monster on STEROIDS so this kinda pales in comparison.  Xzibit was big and epic, this is quieter and more mysterious.  Hmmmm

EDIT:  Also Xzibit's album sounds more Dr. Dre influenced than Kendrick's
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:06:23 AM by WalterOhDim »

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 07:14:57 AM »
Sounds familiar ?

!

The 2nd beat on m.A.A.d City is a replay of Ice Cube's "Bird in the Hand"... Kendrick even starts the verse off with the same lyrics as Cube -

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 07:35:09 AM »
Sounds familiar ?

!

wow... reachin..  ;D

Sccit

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 08:02:42 AM »
No way possible it sounds like Atlanta. Closest would be "Swimming pools" but even that doesn't sound hype enough...that's just modern Mike Will/40 style at most.

you ever listen to Outkast, Slimm Calhoun, Dungeon Family, etc? very similar style..even Ludacris on his more laid back cuts like "Blueberry Yum Yum"

Sccit

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 08:17:53 AM »
No way possible it sounds like Atlanta. Closest would be "Swimming pools" but even that doesn't sound hype enough...that's just modern Mike Will/40 style at most.

There's a lot of Outkast 96 influence on this album so I can see where the author of that post NIK sited got the Atlanta vibe from.

However I'm past the whole "well it isn't a west coast sounding album so I have to take it down a notch or two" phase. Kendrick put together and pulled off a great conceptual HIP-HOP album.

Too soon to call it a classic, however this album will probably join that conversation in a few years.

yea..i thought the Outkast influence in the album was pretty blatant. but it's not just that he lacks regional identity...he lacks identity overall. i guess the best way to explain it would be that he raps like he's just going through the verses, no true passion or energy of his own... i wouldn't call him a biter, but his sound is very borrowed. i don't think the album is bad, though.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 08:31:55 AM »
Kendrick is definitely an acquired taste. I had his whole discography, guest features and thought his style was very boring and bland. But when he released Cartoon & Cereal and couple of dope guest appearances, it made me dig again.

You really have to get through the initial stage and let the music soak in. It suddenly just clicked and I started to really like the music. He has his own persona, vibe, the way he crafts song. It's just very "out there". Reminds me of the sitcom Arrested Development. Hated it at first when watching 3,4 episodes but once I felt the vibe, I loved it.

ANgry!

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »
dudes flow fucking sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and hes always fucking with his voice cuz its super wack

NO HITS

NO VENOM

STRAIGHT PUSSY

i dont listen to fag boys rap to relax... i dont listen to rap to relax... i listen to real music....

dr.dre is clueless

why is dr.dre dropping all these verses like ANYONE wants to hear his monkey ass rap at 50!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!

we WANTED "your" beats you washed up roid boy pussy...

I CANT WAIT UNTIL DRE STOPS ABUSING ANABOLICS AND HIS TEST LEVELS DROP AND LEAVE HIM A WITHERED MESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hes either gonna prune up like a raisin... or keep shooting juice until his heart explodes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he deserves the WORST...

and you know you fucking suck when MC EIHT is the BEST part of your album... in 2012....

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 09:58:37 AM »
Kendrick is definitely an acquired taste. I had his whole discography, guest features and thought his style was very boring and bland. But when he released Cartoon & Cereal and couple of dope guest appearances, it made me dig again.

You really have to get through the initial stage and let the music soak in. It suddenly just clicked and I started to really like the music. He has his own persona, vibe, the way he crafts song. It's just very "out there". Reminds me of the sitcom Arrested Development. Hated it at first when watching 3,4 episodes but once I felt the vibe, I loved it.

Agree 100%. Didnt like it at first, now its growing on me the structure of it, the sound, the mix and all. Kendricks voice and his offset flow annoys me at times, BUT not as much anymore. This is why he is unique, different and has his own style not like some artists.

Wish we had the "west sound feel" but from top the bottom this album was well done in my opinion. Solid.

Spoonie Luv

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 10:53:28 AM »
My Disclaimer: I normally don't get involved in discussions arguing with hard headed people that leads no where. Opinions are opinions and just leave it at that. I perfer to just stay in the shadows and read whats going on and keep my comments to my self, but Nik, I gotta let you have it and thats real!

@Nik, You claim to be a rapper and you promote your weak ass shit here and have the nerve to knock another rappers album thats far better than anything you've ever done? thats why I cant take your music serious. A geek that spends 70% of his time the forums arguing with other people and also getting involved in other people trolling beef. To me your just a fan of hip hop who wants to be a rapper and to be honest, your not gonna make outside your moms basement and I wouldn't quit my day job if I were you.
If you can make a better album then do it! stfu and get on your own grind and quit worrying about another rapper who is actually in the industry getting real money.

Now on Kenrick's album:
Its too soon to be calling this album or any album a classic that's been leaked and hasn't even hit the retails yet. I'd give it about 5 years and if its still holds a high replay value after that, then its a classic. It has to be an album for its time that stands out from the rest of them and so far so good. only time will tell if it's a classic but props to K.Dot for making a good album that got even our very own Nik, the eRapper to make a thread about him and all on his tip. ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:00:21 AM by 187_skillz »
Spoonie Luv From Up Above

hrsmn_london

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 10:54:23 AM »
How is it compared to Saigon album which was awesome.

Fresh Bone

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 11:06:54 AM »
Those skits with his (real?) parents are so fucking annoying. Sound so contrived, like they're supposed to funny. Fuckoutttahere. By the way, is his real name Kendrick Duckworth?

Will_B

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »
By the way, is his real name Kendrick Duckworth?