Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic  (Read 2455 times)

Mr. Theo

Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Very good album, for a debut .

Production Tde in House .. OK
Just Blaze "Compton" track .. OK
Scoop Deville beats .. OK
Mc Eiht .. OK
DJ Dahi .. OK

Now, the Pharrell track, Drake feature ? WTF Drake is Complete rubbish.

I think Kendrick is deluded with this thing Dr Dre / Aftermath, is included in all albums released recently.
His image is wearing, their sound is losing focus, style.
You see him in Self Made vol2, in Drake's album, Tech 9nine album, Asap Rocky album, dj drama, dj khaled album.

He is closing with everyone in the music industry, and this is not good.
Mostly, the artists are not the West Coast.

After a time, with experience, after three albums, he might conclude partnerships

I did not see the young Ice Cube, DJ Quik, Snoop Dogg, Kurupt, Too Short, E40 ..in the beginning of their careers, collaborating with everyone from the music industry.
Everyone created their own sound. his own legacy, before venturing into musical collabos.

But..in the end of a day, for Chill..his album is good ..

However, for me is not an album of West Coast rap

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

Suga Foot

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 11:53:41 AM »
I agree with the regional sound thing to a certain extent.  I think classic albums either have to capture a regional sound, or a certain time.  They have to be a representation or a reflection of a time or place (or both).  The Chronic is a good example of capturing both a time and place (LA Riots).  I was 9 when it came out so I don't really know what the cultural impact was in LA when it came out (other that what I've read or heard).  But look at Cypress Hill's "Black Sunday".  That's a classic album to many people.  It didn't really sound westcoast, but it definitely is a good representation of the ealry/mid nineties.  Kendricks album may be a defining 2012 album, but we won't really know for like 5 years. 

Mr. Theo

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »
I agree with the regional sound thing to a certain extent.  I think classic albums either have to capture a regional sound, or a certain time.  They have to be a representation or a reflection of a time or place (or both).  The Chronic is a good example of capturing both a time and place (LA Riots).  I was 9 when it came out so I don't really know what the cultural impact was in LA when it came out (other that what I've read or heard).  But look at Cypress Hill's "Black Sunday".  That's a classic album to many people.  It didn't really sound westcoast, but it definitely is a good representation of the ealry/mid nineties.  Kendricks album may be a defining 2012 album, but we won't really know for like 5 years. 

I understand .

Black Sunday, even this is not sounding Westcoast.
But when i heard B-Real's voice I remember Wescoast.

Same thing with some tracks of Ras Kass "Soul On Ice".

I'm finding it hard to see in Kendrick, at least in this debut album.

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

Jimmy H.

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
Classics aren't defined a week after they leak on the Internet by a handful of people who've heard them. As it is the term "classic" has hard time holding weight in a discussion because any album that people grew up listening to manages to somehow become a "classic" after a decade or so, no matter how flawed it is. I think regional sounds are overrated. A lot of Pac and Scarface's strongest material doesn't sit comfortably under a specific regional label. Rap fans, specifically those who grew up the 90's, have just become so accustomed to traditional sounds to the point where they bitch about it the moment rappers don't adher to them.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 12:46:02 PM »
But look at Cypress Hill's "Black Sunday".  That's a classic album to many people.  It didn't really sound westcoast, but it definitely is a good representation of the ealry/mid nineties. 

Yeah, I think the main thing there is it's a really, really distinct sound, that no one else had... you could tell it was Cypress as soon as it came on the radio...

I think that's the problem with Kendrick - I wouldn't recognize his tracks on the radio in between any other tracks out right now,
same sort of keyboardy beats, generic voice...

The_Offence

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 01:23:39 PM »
how the fuck can you even say if its a classic or not when the shit ain't even been out for a year yet  :D  i guess you were expecting that same old ring ding dong dr dre beats filled lyrics like low low hopping, chronic smoke blowing, khaki suit and chucks wearing shit huh ? ain't nobody that you think will save the west coast rapping about that shit anymore. look at the niggas on the forefront for the west coast right now. aint none of them niggas on that shit. that era is gone and done with.. game was the last nigga that pushed that shit and he still sounded like an east coast nigga. he knew that shit was done so he quickly got on his drake, rick ross wiz shit.. ain't no nigga thats popping for the west rapping about the shit you niggas expecting. go listen to some old shit if you wanna hear that shit. go pickup some old compton most wanted shit.. kendrick making music for a new generation of niggaz everywhere. his music is bigger than just west coast sounding rap. nobody thats popping in the game for the west coast is raping with that old dr dre & snoop 1 2 3 and to the 4  sound.. you ain't hear the shit nipsey, dom Kennedy,schoolboy Q, Ab soul, Jay Rock, Problem, tyga, Kid Ink and Casey Veggies rapping about ?  ...i know im probably missing a couple people but these are the niggas on the forefront for the west now. they're the niggas being talked about and they're not on no low rider hopping, khaki suit wearing shit.. nipsey driving a drop top benz and wearing gucci shit.. if you buying these new niggas albums and expecting some dr dre sounding shit from 2001 don't waste your time.. these niggas are a different generation. all them niggas are in their early 20's. go buy some old albums if you wanna hear that type of music.. these new niggas is more focus on being MC's. the older west coast niggas were more focus on gangsta rap and that basically killed west coast rap when people got sick of the same shit over and over again.. niggas like TDE and nipsey built this shit back up with a different style and the west is now relevant again. thats why you see all these new west coast niggas on some different shit. kendrick is star in the making because the nigga is unique. when you hear compton you don't expect a lyrical rapper. you expect the same old gang banging, khaki suit wearing, drive by music shit. right now  there's no typical sound from any coast. you got niggas from new york like asap rocky that don't sound like your typical eastcaost rapper. you got niggas like kidd kidd thats sign to 50. the nigga from the deep south (new orleans) but he spitting lyrical shit like this .. he don't sound like your typical down south rapper. listen man  this not 1998 when every coast stuck to a certain sound. right now its just about making the music you feel is dope.young niggas, new generation. if you not with the young generation then go cop that new king t album. don't buy a kendrick lamar album and expect to hear some MC Ren shit on there. RBX still rapping right ? go cop his shit.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 02:04:26 PM by The_Offence »

bouli77

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »
well that's interesting. kinda ridiculous to argue on whether it's a classic or not just days after it leaked though. but whoever wrote that has some strong points. kendrick is definitely borderline hipster rap, as his most of the music coming from tde. and the lack of identity does bother me a bit too, kendrick flows great but he lacks charisma for now. i ordered the album on the strength of section .80 and the few extracts i heard but haven't listened to it yet though.

Sccit

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 01:47:38 PM »
My Disclaimer: I normally don't get involved in discussions arguing with hard headed people that leads no where. Opinions are opinions and just leave it at that. I perfer to just stay in the shadows and read whats going on and keep my comments to my self, but Nik, I gotta let you have it and thats real!

@Nik, You claim to be a rapper and you promote your weak ass shit here and have the nerve to knock another rappers album thats far better than anything you've ever done? thats why I cant take your music serious. A geek that spends 70% of his time the forums arguing with other people and also getting involved in other people trolling beef. To me your just a fan of hip hop who wants to be a rapper and to be honest, your not gonna make outside your moms basement and I wouldn't quit my day job if I were you.
If you can make a better album then do it! stfu and get on your own grind and quit worrying about another rapper who is actually in the industry getting real money.

Now on Kenrick's album:
Its too soon to be calling this album or any album a classic that's been leaked and hasn't even hit the retails yet. I'd give it about 5 years and if its still holds a high replay value after that, then its a classic. It has to be an album for its time that stands out from the rest of them and so far so good. only time will tell if it's a classic but props to K.Dot for making a good album that got even our very own Nik, the eRapper to make a thread about him and all on his tip. ;)

lol... Someone is mad that my views don't match theirs. It's all good, buddy, it's just an opinion. See, I write for weserious.com now and I'm supposed to give my honest opinion, as a longtime hip-hop-head. Duno what that has to do with my own rappin career, but whatever makes u feel better about my article. One thing I will say though, comparing music done in million dollar studios mixed with top notch equipment by legendary producers to music made independently is not fair in any way, shape, or form. If L.A.M.B dropped on Aftermath with the same budget as Kendrick's shit, it would be album of the decade. That said, "Violence of tha Lambz" will slap, regardless, and most definitely have its own identity. As for "good kid MAAD city", you can usually tell if an album has classic potential upon the first couple spins... And this album does not.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:52:38 PM by NIKCC »

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »
Great album, different time different people, I highly doubt that the kids that are bumping ASAP Rocky and dig Kendrick are like "man..this is wack it doesn't sound west coast" , people got over that really   

The_Offence

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »
what people need to understand is when you put so much hype on an album it will rarely live up to the exception.. an album like detox will never live up too the exception because its been so hyped up so much that if 2 songs on there is not that good people will focus on those 2 songs because they were expecting something out of this world..  its probably best dre don't even drop that album. it will never live up to the hype.

Sccit

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »

I think Cypress Hill created their own psychadelic sound, which became the stoner staple of the west coast. Plus, B-Real always had a very west coast flow. But youre right when u say special music also seems to be a reflection of time. The only manner in which this Kendrick record is a reflection of time is because it's similar in sound to a lot of the stuff coming out commercially nowadays. Certain songs even have a Kanye feel, some Drake, Lil Wayne, Tygaesque stuff.. More lyrical, of course, but cut from the same cloth.

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 02:05:23 PM »
kendrick lamar generic voice???

WTF!!!

Sccit

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 02:08:43 PM »
Classics aren't defined a week after they leak on the Internet by a handful of people who've heard them. As it is the term "classic" has hard time holding weight in a discussion because any album that people grew up listening to manages to somehow become a "classic" after a decade or so, no matter how flawed it is. I think regional sounds are overrated. A lot of Pac and Scarface's strongest material doesn't sit comfortably under a specific regional label. Rap fans, specifically those who grew up the 90's, have just become so accustomed to traditional sounds to the point where they bitch about it the moment rappers don't adher to them.

Maybe not to you.. But some people want their west coast music to capture the feeling of their region. Pac's overall sound was west coast (very bay influenced), and Scrarface always had the Texas flow, don't think u can compare Kendricks lack of identity to them. As for labeling an album classic, like I said, u usually know if an album has classic potential the moment you hear it. For instance, everyone knew "2001" was classic the day it dropped. Now, there are exceptions, but i gotta say this album is not.

Sccit

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 02:15:12 PM »
how the fuck can you even say if its a classic or not when the shit ain't even been out for a year yet  :D  i guess you were expecting that same old ring ding dong dr dre beats filled lyrics like low low hopping, chronic smoke blowing, khaki suit and chucks wearing shit huh ? ain't nobody that you think will save the west coast rapping about that shit anymore. look at the niggas on the forefront for the west coast right now. aint none of them niggas on that shit. that era is gone and done with.. game was the last nigga that pushed that shit and he still sounded like an east coast nigga. he knew that shit was done so he quickly got on his drake, rick ross wiz shit.. ain't no nigga thats popping for the west rapping about the shit you niggas expecting. go listen to some old shit if you wanna hear that shit. go pickup some old compton most wanted shit.. kendrick making music for a new generation of niggaz everywhere. his music is bigger than just west coast sounding rap. nobody thats popping in the game for the west coast is raping with that old dr dre & snoop 1 2 3 and to the 4  sound.. you ain't hear the shit nipsey, dom Kennedy,schoolboy Q, Ab soul, Jay Rock, Problem, tyga, Kid Ink and Casey Veggies rapping about ?  ...i know im probably missing a couple people but these are the niggas on the forefront for the west now. they're the niggas being talked about and they're not on no low rider hopping, khaki suit wearing shit.. nipsey driving a drop top benz and wearing gucci shit.. if you buying these new niggas albums and expecting some dr dre sounding shit from 2001 don't waste your time.. these niggas are a different generation. all them niggas are in their early 20's. go buy some old albums if you wanna hear that type of music.. these new niggas is more focus on being MC's. the older west coast niggas were more focus on gangsta rap and that basically killed west coast rap when people got sick of the same shit over and over again.. niggas like TDE and nipsey built this shit back up with a different style and the west is now relevant again. thats why you see all these new west coast niggas on some different shit. kendrick is star in the making because the nigga is unique. when you hear compton you don't expect a lyrical rapper. you expect the same old gang banging, khaki suit wearing, drive by music shit. right now  there's no typical sound from any coast. you got niggas from new york like asap rocky that don't sound like your typical eastcaost rapper. you got niggas like kidd kidd thats sign to 50. the nigga from the deep south (new orleans) but he spitting lyrical shit like this .. he don't sound like your typical down south rapper. listen man  this not 1998 when every coast stuck to a certain sound. right now its just about making the music you feel is dope.young niggas, new generation. if you not with the young generation then go cop that new king t album. don't buy a kendrick lamar album and expect to hear some MC Ren shit on there. RBX still rapping right ? go cop his shit.

Where do you see anything about khakis or gangsta rap? Looks like you're making your own assumptions to me.  You can represent a region through sound with many different styles, it doesn't have to be that shit everyone subconsciously keeps referring to when they hear "west coast rap"

Quadruple OG

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 03:43:33 PM »
After first impression, spin 1, I'm undecided.  It's good but not great.  A very mellow feel to it and nothing gets me really amped.  I listened for production value mostly first time, content likes lyrics second and after.  

Production is smooth but not very aggressive.  Can be slow and plodding at times.  

After what we got from Xzibit, that was a west-coast monster on STEROIDS so this kinda pales in comparison.  Xzibit was big and epic, this is quieter and more mysterious.  Hmmmm

EDIT:  Also Xzibit's album sounds more Dr. Dre influenced than Kendrick's

Having Dre attached to this project gave it the "it absolutely has to sound west coast or else I'll hate on it" stigma that has infected this board.