Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic  (Read 2363 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »
Great thread btw. R.I.P. gangsta rap

Quadruple OG

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »

I dunno bout that much, but Kendrick has changed the game for the west coast.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2012, 04:15:34 PM »

Nah is dead as we know it. The music will always be around but the days of having a buzz like Kendrick's and doing numbers is dead as a doorknob

Quadruple OG

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2012, 04:36:57 PM »

Nah is dead as we know it. The music will always be around but the days of having a buzz like Kendrick's and doing numbers is dead as a doorknob

We'll find out in a week and a half about the numbers part, but people are going to be hard pressed to find a negative review from any critic (one that gets paid, not one that posts on message boards).

Quadruple OG

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
Pharrell on GKMC

Kendrick Lamar is this era's Bob Dylan. Masterful story telling. Listen to it, it will elevate you. And just like that music has changed. Sick hooks, beats, perspective and zero MSG. Individuality always wins.

https://twitter.com/Pharrell/status/259315025477500928

https://twitter.com/Pharrell/status/259316260154785794

Sccit

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2012, 04:45:31 PM »

We'll find out in a week and a half about the numbers part, but people are going to be hard pressed to find a negative review from any critic (one that gets paid, not one that posts on message boards).

Paid critics are overrated .. The credibility of ones opinion has more to do with how much knowledge they possess as opposed to how much they make. Message board heads opinions do not mean less, because message board heads are the consumer. Their opinion counts just as much as any.

The majority of peeps like this album, yea.. But there are those who aint feelin it as much for whatever reason, and they all make credible arguments
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:48:28 PM by NIKCC »

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2012, 04:48:29 PM »

That's just my point though, this ain't gangsta rap. Snoop, Cube, none of them cats is coming through that building next week. This is a changing of the guard.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2012, 04:50:53 PM »
Paid critics are overrated .. The credibility of ones opinion has more to do with how much knowledge they possess as opposed to how much they make. Message board heads opinions do not mean less, because message board heads are the consumer. Their opinion counts just as much as any.

In that case...

Go to other hip-hop boards and check out the reception there. The album is getting an overwhelming amount of favorable reviews from people that have heard it. This album has the potential to be a game changer for the west coast.

This is a changing of the guard.

It's exactly what the West Coast needed. Dre in the background, no ego-obsessed West Coast OG's trying to be all over the album. Hopefully the torch has now been passed to Kendrick.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:52:39 PM by Triple OG Reality Check »

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »
I love it. It's all west at the end of the day and it is great to see artists out here staying true to their craft and style then trying to conform to get heard.

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »
I listened to this 5 or 6 times and can say it's the best hip-hop album this year.  Good for Interscope for letting Kendrick have creative control.  The worst song on this album is, ironically, "Compton."  The whole album almost flows perfectly (Poetic Justice sounds a bit out of place and Compton just sounds like it was thrown there at the end).  I think it would have ended perfectly with "I'm Dying Of Thirst"

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Figures the kid who still acts like it's 1997 has something to say about this album.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
The days of representing a coast or a region are over, its all about bringing good music to the table , I think 90% of dubcc are either stuck in a era that will never come back or they just got into gangsta rap since  they were too young to vibe to it when it was poppin...Kendrick is bigger than west coast, he is HIPHOP

PLANT

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »
The days of representing a coast or a region are over, its all about bringing good music to the table , I think 90% of dubcc are either stuck in a era that will never come back or they just got into gangsta rap since  they were too young to vibe to it when it was poppin...Kendrick is bigger than west coast, he is HIPHOP
on point

PLANT

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »
I listened to this 5 or 6 times and can say it's the best hip-hop album this year.  Good for Interscope for letting Kendrick have creative control.  The worst song on this album is, ironically, "Compton."  The whole album almost flows perfectly (Poetic Justice sounds a bit out of place and Compton just sounds like it was thrown there at the end).  I think it would have ended perfectly with "I'm Dying Of Thirst"
Black Boy Fly would have been a good ending also, but still good the way it is

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »
I listened to this 5 or 6 times and can say it's the best hip-hop album this year.  Good for Interscope for letting Kendrick have creative control.  The worst song on this album is, ironically, "Compton."  The whole album almost flows perfectly (Poetic Justice sounds a bit out of place and Compton just sounds like it was thrown there at the end).  I think it would have ended perfectly with "I'm Dying Of Thirst"
Black Boy Fly would have been a good ending also, but still good the way it is
Yeah, that would make sense too.  The skit at the end of Dying of Thirst reminds me of that Maya Angelou story she told about meeting Pac at the Poetic Justice set.  The old lady even sounds like Maya (is that her????)