Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic  (Read 2373 times)

Sccit

Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2012, 07:32:40 PM »
Paid critics are overrated .. The credibility of ones opinion has more to do with how much knowledge they possess as opposed to how much they make. Message board heads opinions do not mean less, because message board heads are the consumer. Their opinion counts just as much as any.

In that case...

Go to other hip-hop boards and check out the reception there. The album is getting an overwhelming amount of favorable reviews from people that have heard it. This album has the potential to be a game changer for the west coast.

The reception here was great, as well. most people here liked it. I thought it was good, too. Just not a game changer.

Sccit

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2012, 07:45:47 PM »
The days of representing a coast or a region are over, its all about bringing good music to the table , I think 90% of dubcc are either stuck in a era that will never come back or they just got into gangsta rap since  they were too young to vibe to it when it was poppin...Kendrick is bigger than west coast, he is HIPHOP

it's not about representing a coast, it's about having a sound that identifies with a region. jay-z has it. kanye has it. t.i has it. nas has it. even lil wayne has it. the top rappers, even of today, all have a sound that captures their region. they express themselves and identify with who they are, and the place, the pace, and lifestyle of where u grow up has a lot to do with who u are as a person. kendrick lamar does not express that and can't capture that specific aspect through his music. he's more about the message than he is about the sound, if that makes sense. some peeps might like that. some peeps might not even care for regional sounds at all, and could care less if hip-hop was intertwined as one. but for those interested in preserving regional sounds that touch the soul in hip-hop, this is a step in the opposite direction. thats all it really is. not sayin it's a bad record.

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2012, 07:57:59 PM »
Great thread btw. R.I.P. gangsta rap

I dunno bout that much, but Kendrick has changed the game for the west coast.

Nah is dead as we know it. The music will always be around but the days of having a buzz like Kendrick's and doing numbers is dead as a doorknob

whether you like it or not niggaz like gucci mane, waka flocka,chief keef, young jeezy,rick ross, meek mill have ALL kept the streets in hip hop. sorry brah but your wrong. Hip-hop is the streets.

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2012, 08:05:37 PM »
The days of representing a coast or a region are over, its all about bringing good music to the table , I think 90% of dubcc are either stuck in a era that will never come back or they just got into gangsta rap since  they were too young to vibe to it when it was poppin...Kendrick is bigger than west coast, he is HIPHOP

(Let me preface what I'm going to write by clarifying that this post is not about Kendrick Lamar's album per se).

Based on what you wrote, that's why hip hop is dead.  Back in the day, if you couldn't hold down your own region, you were considered wack, forget about blowing up to larger national acceptance.  None other than Dr. Dre said it's important for an artist to have regional appeal.  

"Kendrick is bigger than west coast, he is HIPHOP" -- you're celebrating an artist being generic with that statement -- that an artist should just be Hip hop in general with no regional association in his music -- and imo there's nothing praiseworthy about being generic.  Hip hop is truly dead if what you're saying is true.

I think 90% of dubcc are either stuck in a era that will never come back

Please, the West hasn't done G-Funk in 15 years, and it was only around for about 5 years.  Fact is the current sound has been around in the mainstream much longer than G-Funk was around, so who's really stuck in a certain era?  It ain't us old timers, that's for sure.  If a big-budget artist did a honest-to-goodness G-Funk album in 2012 on a major label, it would sound brand new because he'd be making the kind of album that hasn't been made in 15 years -- that's what's fresh, NOT recycling the same contemporary generic sound of the day.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Sccit

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2012, 08:08:55 PM »
^good points

sofdark

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2012, 08:46:40 PM »
how the fuck can you even say if its a classic or not when the shit ain't even been out for a year yet  :D  i guess you were expecting that same old ring ding dong dr dre beats filled lyrics like low low hopping, chronic smoke blowing, khaki suit and chucks wearing shit huh ? ain't nobody that you think will save the west coast rapping about that shit anymore. look at the niggas on the forefront for the west coast right now. aint none of them niggas on that shit. that era is gone and done with.. game was the last nigga that pushed that shit and he still sounded like an east coast nigga. he knew that shit was done so he quickly got on his drake, rick ross wiz shit.. ain't no nigga thats popping for the west rapping about the shit you niggas expecting. go listen to some old shit if you wanna hear that shit. go pickup some old compton most wanted shit.. kendrick making music for a new generation of niggaz everywhere. his music is bigger than just west coast sounding rap. nobody thats popping in the game for the west coast is raping with that old dr dre & snoop 1 2 3 and to the 4  sound.. you ain't hear the shit nipsey, dom Kennedy,schoolboy Q, Ab soul, Jay Rock, Problem, tyga, Kid Ink and Casey Veggies rapping about ?  ...i know im probably missing a couple people but these are the niggas on the forefront for the west now. they're the niggas being talked about and they're not on no low rider hopping, khaki suit wearing shit.. nipsey driving a drop top benz and wearing gucci shit.. if you buying these new niggas albums and expecting some dr dre sounding shit from 2001 don't waste your time.. these niggas are a different generation. all them niggas are in their early 20's. go buy some old albums if you wanna hear that type of music.. these new niggas is more focus on being MC's. the older west coast niggas were more focus on gangsta rap and that basically killed west coast rap when people got sick of the same shit over and over again.. niggas like TDE and nipsey built this shit back up with a different style and the west is now relevant again. thats why you see all these new west coast niggas on some different shit. kendrick is star in the making because the nigga is unique. when you hear compton you don't expect a lyrical rapper. you expect the same old gang banging, khaki suit wearing, drive by music shit. right now  there's no typical sound from any coast. you got niggas from new york like asap rocky that don't sound like your typical eastcaost rapper. you got niggas like kidd kidd thats sign to 50. the nigga from the deep south (new orleans) but he spitting lyrical shit like this .. he don't sound like your typical down south rapper. listen man  this not 1998 when every coast stuck to a certain sound. right now its just about making the music you feel is dope.young niggas, new generation. if you not with the young generation then go cop that new king t album. don't buy a kendrick lamar album and expect to hear some MC Ren shit on there. RBX still rapping right ? go cop his shit.

use a fuckin' enter bar

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2012, 11:23:25 PM »
Great thread btw. R.I.P. gangsta rap

I dunno bout that much, but Kendrick has changed the game for the west coast.

Nah is dead as we know it. The music will always be around but the days of having a buzz like Kendrick's and doing numbers is dead as a doorknob

whether you like it or not niggaz like gucci mane, waka flocka,chief keef, young jeezy,rick ross, meek mill have ALL kept the streets in hip hop. sorry brah but your wrong. Hip-hop is the streets.

I said the music (hip hop) and the culture will always be around. The days of west coast hip hop being dominated in sales and the airwaves by gangsta rap is dead. And I am talking only about the west coast, not the south or the east.

Black Male

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2012, 11:58:58 PM »
I shouldn't respond to this thread considering the review is from my website lol, but anyway...

I personally think TDE has created a new west sound, I always felt like the entire doesn't have west sound argument is weak. For example, me and my camp we rap and you can tell we are westcoast cats as soon as we start talking but we have never rapped over your stereotypical westcoast beats. I think Kendricks album sounds very westcoast, its just not the sound that most people are accustomed to. What makes Kendricks album so great is that he is coming from a non affilate perspective, he is basically a cat that didn't get put on a crip or blood hood but was still in the streets and still functioned with crips and bloods. Which I think is the story for a lot of cats out here in the west, you have a lot of non crips and bloods thats still in these streets that still get down and are not on some square shit. The content is west and nobody can say anything about that. I love the album and have been bumping it since i downloaded it and I might actually go buy it. This album is very westcoast, the west sound argument is very subjective...

teletomble

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2012, 12:23:26 AM »
any1 have a link of that Collect Calls song?

Jimmy H.

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2012, 12:33:44 AM »
Maybe not to you.. But some people want their west coast music to capture the feeling of their region. Pac's overall sound was west coast (very bay influenced), and Scrarface always had the Texas flow, don't think u can compare Kendricks lack of identity to them. As for labeling an album classic, like I said, u usually know if an album has classic potential the moment you hear it. For instance, everyone knew "2001" was classic the day it dropped. Now, there are exceptions, but i gotta say this album is not.
I guess we'll just agree to disagree on that. Pac to me always had a considerably East Coast energy to him. Pac had a more aggressive edge than you usually got from most West Coast rappers. He was versatile enough to adapt to what was going on in California but even Digital Underground who were the group who put him on in the game, there is a West Coast style there that Pac can certainly mesh with but that's not the aura that he gives off. He's more brash like Naughty By Nature who again have funky enough beats of their own that they rhyme on a distinctly East Coast vibe. Even if you want to compare the artists he fucked with in his circle with hardcore styles. He sounds way more like Stretch from Bomb Squad or one of the Jersey-bred Outlawz members than someone like Spice-1 or Big Syke. He's universal enough to fit in because he's a strong artist but his 1994 era stuff is not regionalized at all to me. And while we're at it, would you really consider Eminem's "Marshall Mathers LP" or "The Eminem Show" to have a strong Detriot or Mid-West vibe to them?

Will_B

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2012, 12:45:45 AM »
Pharrell on GKMC

Kendrick Lamar is this era's Bob Dylan.

Bob Dylan is this era's Bob Dylan

Will_B

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2012, 12:55:40 AM »
Damn people falling apart coz someone made an album with a different sound or some personality, even tho its not THAT different

West Coast fans really are stuck in a rut

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2012, 01:35:08 AM »
i havent heard it, im still debating whether im gonna buy this or not.... i dont like seeing a drake feature. cuz thats one song that will be a auto-skip... and how much auto tune is on here????? if its all over i dont wanna hear it even

Will_B

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2012, 01:39:40 AM »
i havent heard it, im still debating whether im gonna buy this or not.... i dont like seeing a drake feature. cuz thats one song that will be a auto-skip... and how much auto tune is on here????? if its all over i dont wanna hear it even

It's not any where near what you're preconceiving ;)

Albums nice and the drake feature is still a good track IMO

Okka

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2012, 02:07:27 AM »
Good album, i still like "Section.80" more though. Here's the songs that i'm really feelin'.

Sherane A.K.A. Master Splinter's Daughter
The Art Of Peer Pressure
Good Kid
M.A.A.D. City (feat. MC Eiht)
Swimming Pools
Black Boy Fly

Does anybody have "Collect Calls"? I really wanna hear it.