Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic  (Read 2377 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2012, 02:25:26 AM »
What is this about some people saying Kendrick ain't got his own sound ? Go check all TDE albums, they all have this distinctive sound, that is also present through out GKMC. Especially Schoolboy Q and Ab Souls projects. Jay Rock was the one that was heavily westcoast influenced and even now he's creating this TDE sound with recent tracks like YOLA and his verse on Money Trees. They feed off each other. Follow Me Home was dope but it had some generic westcoast bangers that sounded outdated, watch his next album shit on it.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2012, 03:09:16 AM »
Snoop, Cube, none of them cats is coming through that building next week. This is a changing of the guard.

Except Kendrick still needs to blow up though,
I don't know many non-hiphop fans who know who Kendrick Lamar is yet...

I know the buzz is big in hip-hop circles, but if that doesn't cross over to where most people know who he is,
then it will have just been a sort of flash in the pan thing...

that's what's fresh, NOT recycling the same contemporary generic sound of the day.

Word, that's my biggest problem with Kendrick, if I heard him on the radio, he just blends into all
the other stuff that's out now, just with flows that are little more complex.

Mista Rosa

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2012, 05:17:23 AM »
Dope album. Been on the repeat. No tracks skipped.

I love "Now or Never". I am surprised nobody mentioned it. One of the best feel good track i have ever heard.
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."

DJSpin

Quadruple OG

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2012, 07:23:19 AM »
"Collect Calls" hasn't been leaked yet since that's on the itunes version. Retail has leaked, not itunes.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2012, 07:57:52 AM »
Snoop, Cube, none of them cats is coming through that building next week. This is a changing of the guard.

Except Kendrick still needs to blow up though,
I don't know many non-hiphop fans who know who Kendrick Lamar is yet...

I know the buzz is big in hip-hop circles, but if that doesn't cross over to where most people know who he is,
then it will have just been a sort of flash in the pan thing...

that's what's fresh, NOT recycling the same contemporary generic sound of the day.

Word, that's my biggest problem with Kendrick, if I heard him on the radio, he just blends into all
the other stuff that's out now, just with flows that are little more complex.

Well said

The_Offence

« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2012, 09:21:37 AM »
Very good album, for a debut .

Production Tde in House .. OK
Just Blaze "Compton" track .. OK
Scoop Deville beats .. OK
Mc Eiht .. OK
DJ Dahi .. OK

Now, the Pharrell track, Drake feature ? WTF Drake is Complete rubbish.

I think Kendrick is deluded with this thing Dr Dre / Aftermath, is included in all albums released recently.
His image is wearing, their sound is losing focus, style.
You see him in Self Made vol2, in Drake's album, Tech 9nine album, Asap Rocky album, dj drama, dj khaled album.

He is closing with everyone in the music industry, and this is not good.
Mostly, the artists are not the West Coast.

After a time, with experience, after three albums, he might conclude partnerships

40 ..in the beI did not see the young Ice Cube, DJ Quik, Snoop Dogg, Kurupt, Too Short, Eginning of their careers, collaborating with everyone from the music industry.
Everyone created their own sound. his own legacy, before venturing into musical collabos.

But..in the end of a day, for Chill..his album is good ..

However, for me is not an album of West Coast rap
man shut the fuck up. you make no sense what so ever! dj quik dropped his first album in 1991. are you really trying to compare what dj quik did in 1991 to what kendrick is doing in 2012  ;D ;D dubbcnn got some of the dumbest forum members. use your damn common sense bro. first off labels back then wasn't giving rappers the budget they're giving them now. back then you didn't even need a hot single or radio play for these major labels to drop your album. the internet wasn't even popping yet. name one rapper in this era that dropped on a major label that didn't have at least 1 big feature or a big name producer ? times have changed. back then people weren't working with that many people outside their crew. certain west coast niggas wasn't even fucking with each other. i can't believe this dumb dumb just said I did not see the young Ice Cube, DJ Quik, Snoop Dogg, Kurupt, Too Short, E40 ..in the beginning of their careers, collaborating with everyone from the music industry. ;D :D bro that was 21 years ago. kendrick is 25 years old  :D do you honestly think it takes the same formula to put together a successful debut album in 2012. sorry but i have to call it how i see it. YOU SIR ARE A DUMB ASS!!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:31:08 AM by The_Offence »

MistaNova

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2012, 09:29:32 AM »
Great, now that this is out of the way maybe Kendrick Lamar & J. Cole can drop their joint mixtape or album now.

YSH

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • hi
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
this album needs more songs like now or never

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »
It's good to see The Game getting props on Black Boy Fly. This album is 100% West Coast, everything he raps about is Compton centric. TDE are molding there own sound as a soundbed for the West.Coast, its a changing of the guard.G Funk has been outdated for a long time, same with the 2001 sound. The track m.A.A.d City is dopest West Coast banger I've heard.in a long time but I wouldn't want an album full of that.

And lol at Nik thinking if he had a million dollar he could make an album as good as this. You couldn't even fuck with his music when he was independent. Talent makes good music, not money, and if you don't realise it, K Dot is 100x the artist you will ever be, in every sense of the word.

Sccit

« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2012, 02:22:27 PM »
WHOEVER MERGED MY 4 PAGE THREAD IS SENSELESS AS FUCK AND MUST NOT LIKE A LOT OF TRAFFIC ON DUBCC

Spoonie Luv

« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
WHOEVER MERGED MY 4 PAGE THREAD IS SENSELESS AS FUCK AND MUST NOT LIKE A LOT OF TRAFFIC ON DUBCC

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH  :'(
Spoonie Luv From Up Above

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2012, 02:59:30 PM »

It was just your opinion about the album, did it really warrant its own thread?

Sccit

« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2012, 03:06:04 PM »

It was just your opinion about the album, did it really warrant its own thread?

it was also a separate discussion on regional sounds with its own article...and more importantly, it generated more traffic and discussion. that is how a message board works. if u have one thread on the biggest west coast release in years, how can u expect the board to thrive? this is a message board for different discussion to take place, not a dubcnn news site for perfect maintenance. this is not how dubcc was founded. back when shit like "man vs machine" dropped, u had countless threads about 1 album, along with an official discussion one. but take it from me, all the threads touching different topics is what kept the board with a strong flow of traffic....thats how message boards like wcc thrive. shit gets way too stale with this much restriction and lack of individual topics. bad business.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:47:59 PM by NIKCC »

SUR GANG

• 'G'
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2012, 03:40:54 PM »
this foo nikk is a straight bitch... pull ur skirt down already homie... kendrick dropped a sicc ass album... the story tellin on this album is fuccn CRAZY... the whole album flows together nice... i dont see y are u hating on k.dot when u need to look in the mirror n realize ur shit is beyond wack... no one will ever bump ur shit besides ur moms, or home boys, n thats if u even have any cuz it seems like u are on here all day...  this shit is comedy... just shut ur cock holster n quit rappin homie... ur shit is WACK...