Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic  (Read 2367 times)

FUCK-YOU-BItch

Re: Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2012, 05:42:38 AM »
Shyne is calling his album trash because k.dot is doing something that puffy,dre,snoop,jay,nas,game did...you know what the fuck im talking about.

Quadruple OG

Mietek23

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2012, 01:52:15 PM »
http://www.aftermathmusic.com/blog/2012/10/23/gkmc-200k-in-the-1st-week/

225-240k first week sales = impressive 8)

isnt that first week really one day? since it dropped on a monday?

imagine if it dropped on a tuesday and had its full weeks worth...

Sccit

« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »

5 seconds not so bad, 5 seconds in multiple songs would be bad... u know what im sayin

There's no autotune. It is a great album, reviews keep pouring in. Glad to see someone on the west coast finally get some shine and mainstream critical acclaim.

Pitchfork's review is below. 9.5 out of 10

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17253-good-kid-maad-city/

Damn they losing it over the album. 7.5/10 at best, and I'm a fan of it

agreed

Sccit

« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2012, 04:16:43 PM »
Shyne is calling his album trash because k.dot is doing something that puffy,dre,snoop,jay,nas,game did...you know what the fuck im talking about.

lmao, shyne goin all out with the jew shit

Sccit

« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2012, 04:18:09 PM »
http://www.aftermathmusic.com/blog/2012/10/23/gkmc-200k-in-the-1st-week/

225-240k first week sales = impressive 8)

isnt that first week really one day? since it dropped on a monday?

imagine if it dropped on a tuesday and had its full weeks worth...

naah, thats actually a week and a day sales...projection. would be insane if it did those numbers in a day. well, 200+ is already insane nowadays, but in one day would almost be some record shit.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2012, 06:33:38 PM »
Review from Grandland

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/60251/bright-lights-mad-city-kendrick-lamar-is-about-to-release-the-best-rap-album-of-the-year

This part stuck out for me:

Earlier this year, Top Dawg and its members agreed to a deal with Interscope Records and Dre’s Aftermath imprint. It has been six years since Aftermath released a non-Eminem or 50 Cent album and nine and a half since it broke an artist. In the context of one-time kingmaker Dr. Dre’s track record, this deal and the actual, non-stalled, in-stores-we-swear release of good kid amounts to a music industry miracle. (Ask King Tee, Hittman, RBX, Rakim, Stat Quo, The Last Emperor, Joell Ortiz, Bishop Lamont, or any of the myriad artists that Dre has signed and benched to eternity about the label’s developmental history.)

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2012, 01:12:36 AM »
Review from Grandland

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/60251/bright-lights-mad-city-kendrick-lamar-is-about-to-release-the-best-rap-album-of-the-year

This part stuck out for me:

Earlier this year, Top Dawg and its members agreed to a deal with Interscope Records and Dre’s Aftermath imprint. It has been six years since Aftermath released a non-Eminem or 50 Cent album and nine and a half since it broke an artist. In the context of one-time kingmaker Dr. Dre’s track record, this deal and the actual, non-stalled, in-stores-we-swear release of good kid amounts to a music industry miracle. (Ask King Tee, Hittman, RBX, Rakim, Stat Quo, The Last Emperor, Joell Ortiz, Bishop Lamont, or any of the myriad artists that Dre has signed and benched to eternity about the label’s developmental history.)

Lol at that, so true

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2012, 05:41:23 AM »
Review from Grandland

and nine and a half since it broke an artist.

Wait, didn't Game drop in 2005? So that's like 7 years since they broke an artist...

Still a long time though, LOL

Quadruple OG

« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2012, 01:29:38 PM »
Review from Grandland

and nine and a half since it broke an artist.

Wait, didn't Game drop in 2005? So that's like 7 years since they broke an artist...

Still a long time though, LOL

Might have been referring to 50 Cent since GRODT started buzzing early 2003. Completely glossed over Game.

teecee

« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »
My Disclaimer: I normally don't get involved in discussions arguing with hard headed people that leads no where. Opinions are opinions and just leave it at that. I perfer to just stay in the shadows and read whats going on and keep my comments to my self, but Nik, I gotta let you have it and thats real!

@Nik, You claim to be a rapper and you promote your weak ass shit here and have the nerve to knock another rappers album thats far better than anything you've ever done? thats why I cant take your music serious. A geek that spends 70% of his time the forums arguing with other people and also getting involved in other people trolling beef. To me your just a fan of hip hop who wants to be a rapper and to be honest, your not gonna make outside your moms basement and I wouldn't quit my day job if I were you.
If you can make a better album then do it! stfu and get on your own grind and quit worrying about another rapper who is actually in the industry getting real money.

Now on Kenrick's album:
Its too soon to be calling this album or any album a classic that's been leaked and hasn't even hit the retails yet. I'd give it about 5 years and if its still holds a high replay value after that, then its a classic. It has to be an album for its time that stands out from the rest of them and so far so good. only time will tell if it's a classic but props to K.Dot for making a good album that got even our very own Nik, the eRapper to make a thread about him and all on his tip. ;)

lol... Someone is mad that my views don't match theirs. It's all good, buddy, it's just an opinion. See, I write for weserious.com now and I'm supposed to give my honest opinion, as a longtime hip-hop-head. Duno what that has to do with my own rappin career, but whatever makes u feel better about my article. One thing I will say though, comparing music done in million dollar studios mixed with top notch equipment by legendary producers to music made independently is not fair in any way, shape, or form. If L.A.M.B dropped on Aftermath with the same budget as Kendrick's shit, it would be album of the decade. That said, "Violence of tha Lambz" will slap, regardless, and most definitely have its own identity. As for "good kid MAAD city", you can usually tell if an album has classic potential upon the first couple spins... And this album does not.

Why you gotta always say some dumbshit NIK???!!!  LAMB shouldn't be in the same sentence, let alone paragraph as KDOt.  No offense, but even you must acknowledge the difference.  Come on man, you know Kendrick was already dropping heat long before his association with Aftermath.   

I do agree this isn't classic though...at least not yet.  Just as foolish as people already proclaiming this is a classic is people already proclaiming it ISN'T one.  It's too early.  It doesn't have obvious standout tracks, but the cd as a whole is very impressive after multiple listens.  It's a grower, kinda like Soul On Ice was for me when it dropped.

Kendrick may have some elements of his style borrowed(definitely, as you say, OUTKAST/Andre influence), but he's got so much of his own style as well.  He's very versatile, and the most impressive part of this album is AFTERMATH didn't water it down like they did Slaughterhouse.  Congrats to Kendrick for releasing an album that isn't generic and mainstream and reaching for obvious hits, or ladened with the typical westcoast sound (only nicely placed elements).  Now let's let this shit breathe!

Sccit

« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
My Disclaimer: I normally don't get involved in discussions arguing with hard headed people that leads no where. Opinions are opinions and just leave it at that. I perfer to just stay in the shadows and read whats going on and keep my comments to my self, but Nik, I gotta let you have it and thats real!

@Nik, You claim to be a rapper and you promote your weak ass shit here and have the nerve to knock another rappers album thats far better than anything you've ever done? thats why I cant take your music serious. A geek that spends 70% of his time the forums arguing with other people and also getting involved in other people trolling beef. To me your just a fan of hip hop who wants to be a rapper and to be honest, your not gonna make outside your moms basement and I wouldn't quit my day job if I were you.
If you can make a better album then do it! stfu and get on your own grind and quit worrying about another rapper who is actually in the industry getting real money.

Now on Kenrick's album:
Its too soon to be calling this album or any album a classic that's been leaked and hasn't even hit the retails yet. I'd give it about 5 years and if its still holds a high replay value after that, then its a classic. It has to be an album for its time that stands out from the rest of them and so far so good. only time will tell if it's a classic but props to K.Dot for making a good album that got even our very own Nik, the eRapper to make a thread about him and all on his tip. ;)

lol... Someone is mad that my views don't match theirs. It's all good, buddy, it's just an opinion. See, I write for weserious.com now and I'm supposed to give my honest opinion, as a longtime hip-hop-head. Duno what that has to do with my own rappin career, but whatever makes u feel better about my article. One thing I will say though, comparing music done in million dollar studios mixed with top notch equipment by legendary producers to music made independently is not fair in any way, shape, or form. If L.A.M.B dropped on Aftermath with the same budget as Kendrick's shit, it would be album of the decade. That said, "Violence of tha Lambz" will slap, regardless, and most definitely have its own identity. As for "good kid MAAD city", you can usually tell if an album has classic potential upon the first couple spins... And this album does not.

Why you gotta always say some dumbshit NIK???!!!  LAMB shouldn't be in the same sentence, let alone paragraph as KDOt.  No offense, but even you must acknowledge the difference.  Come on man, you know Kendrick was already dropping heat long before his association with Aftermath.   

I do agree this isn't classic though...at least not yet.  Just as foolish as people already proclaiming this is a classic is people already proclaiming it ISN'T one.  It's too early.  It doesn't have obvious standout tracks, but the cd as a whole is very impressive after multiple listens.  It's a grower, kinda like Soul On Ice was for me when it dropped.

Kendrick may have some elements of his style borrowed(definitely, as you say, OUTKAST/Andre influence), but he's got so much of his own style as well.  He's very versatile, and the most impressive part of this album is AFTERMATH didn't water it down like they did Slaughterhouse.  Congrats to Kendrick for releasing an album that isn't generic and mainstream and reaching for obvious hits, or ladened with the typical westcoast sound (only nicely placed elements).  Now let's let this shit breathe!

i fux with this cut over anything on Kendrick's album:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cLMppcK0Kfo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cLMppcK0Kfo</a>

u aint gotta come at me like that over an opinion, son. and lo@saying people are foolish for saying this is not a classic... so we cant judge for ourselves? I still remember the day "2001" dropped.. every1 knew it was a classic, right off the bat... when Eminem dropped "Recovery", most people knew it wasn't a classic, right off the bat. now, am I comparing Kendrick's effort to those two albums? no. but the point of the matter is, u can usually tell an album's overall value after the first few spins...if i give it a 7.5/10 now, it's not guna be a 10/10 in 10 years...especially when we look back and realize that the overall sound of this album is very similar to a lot of the radio hits droppin over the past couple years.

and just for the record, Slaughterhouse didn't drop on Aftermath.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2012, 09:54:10 PM »
Yeah but Nik, that's your opinion, if 90% of legitimate reviewers, and also random heads think the album is going to be classic, then it likely is.

To me I think the album will be looked at as a classic in 5 years, but I also don't think people should throw around the term 1 week after the albums dropped. The album is representative of modern hip hop, their is no such thing as a regional sound anymore, you gonna say Killer Mikes album was shit because it didn't sound Southern?

It's good music, it doesn't sound poppy, or commercial, and the majority of that is because of the content. "Swimming Pools", "Backseat Freestyle", and the first half of "m.A.A.d City" are the only tracks to me that could be compared to current radio trends, the majority is just dope, downbeat hip hop.

This album is 100% Kednrick Lamar, his views, his story, his musical tastes, and as a result, the content is 100% West Coast.

Read this excerpt from a K Dot interview, maybe it'll make things clearer for you Nik “My music is for the world, not just for Compton, or myself,” he says. “My fans look at me as a leader because I represent myself as a leader.” Kendick’s goal is to foster a deeper connection with his listeners and take his music beyond the boundaries of regional geography. Though Dre and ’Pac are larger-than-life figures in rap, both are inextricably linked to the West Coast. Lamar has different aspirations."

Sccit

« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2012, 10:14:04 PM »
Yeah but Nik, that's your opinion, if 90% of legitimate reviewers, and also random heads think the album is going to be classic, then it likely is.

To me I think the album will be looked at as a classic in 5 years, but I also don't think people should throw around the term 1 week after the albums dropped. The album is representative of modern hip hop, their is no such thing as a regional sound anymore, you gonna say Killer Mikes album was shit because it didn't sound Southern?

It's good music, it doesn't sound poppy, or commercial, and the majority of that is because of the content. "Swimming Pools", "Backseat Freestyle", and the first half of "m.A.A.d City" are the only tracks to me that could be compared to current radio trends, the majority is just dope, downbeat hip hop.

This album is 100% Kednrick Lamar, his views, his story, his musical tastes, and as a result, the content is 100% West Coast.

Read this excerpt from a K Dot interview, maybe it'll make things clearer for you Nik “My music is for the world, not just for Compton, or myself,” he says. “My fans look at me as a leader because I represent myself as a leader.” Kendick’s goal is to foster a deeper connection with his listeners and take his music beyond the boundaries of regional geography. Though Dre and ’Pac are larger-than-life figures in rap, both are inextricably linked to the West Coast. Lamar has different aspirations."

i get all that, my dude...and that fine, cuz its ur opinion. but i'd like to highly disagree with u when u say that theres no longer such thing as regional sound. Xzibit just dropped a great album with west coast heat front-to-back....and it's not "G-Funk instrumentals with Zapp samples", like some Kendrick fans keep suggesting people are lookin for. it's just a modernized west coast sound, and it slaps. it's a matter of taste and opinion, and i understand that many people are lovin' this new Kendrick album. but it doesn't make it fact....also, don't forget, it's very easy 2 get caught up in hype.