Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic  (Read 2368 times)

Jimmy H.

Re: Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city" is Good.. But Not Classic
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2012, 12:59:11 AM »
Xzibit just dropped a great album with west coast heat front-to-back....and it's not "G-Funk instrumentals with Zapp samples", like some Kendrick fans keep suggesting people are lookin for. it's just a modernized west coast sound, and it slaps. it's a matter of taste and opinion, and i understand that many people are lovin' this new Kendrick album. but it doesn't make it fact....also, don't forget, it's very easy 2 get caught up in hype.
I don't know. I think the Xzibit album definitely caters to the more traditional West Coast sound that people expect. Not that that's a problem for me but I like that K. Dot is trying something different. I've only had a chance to hear "good kid m.A.A.d city" once so far but to me, it feels like a "game changer". Opinions are really all over the place but that's too be expected. Having heard it, I don't get your regional sound complaint either. The content sound unavoidably L.A., it just isn't the California hip-hop formula we've become accustomed to.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2012, 01:10:30 AM »
Yeah but Nik, that's your opinion, if 90% of legitimate reviewers, and also random heads think the album is going to be classic, then it likely is.

To me I think the album will be looked at as a classic in 5 years, but I also don't think people should throw around the term 1 week after the albums dropped. The album is representative of modern hip hop, their is no such thing as a regional sound anymore, you gonna say Killer Mikes album was shit because it didn't sound Southern?

It's good music, it doesn't sound poppy, or commercial, and the majority of that is because of the content. "Swimming Pools", "Backseat Freestyle", and the first half of "m.A.A.d City" are the only tracks to me that could be compared to current radio trends, the majority is just dope, downbeat hip hop.

This album is 100% Kednrick Lamar, his views, his story, his musical tastes, and as a result, the content is 100% West Coast.

Read this excerpt from a K Dot interview, maybe it'll make things clearer for you Nik “My music is for the world, not just for Compton, or myself,” he says. “My fans look at me as a leader because I represent myself as a leader.” Kendick’s goal is to foster a deeper connection with his listeners and take his music beyond the boundaries of regional geography. Though Dre and ’Pac are larger-than-life figures in rap, both are inextricably linked to the West Coast. Lamar has different aspirations."

i get all that, my dude...and that fine, cuz its ur opinion. but i'd like to highly disagree with u when u say that theres no longer such thing as regional sound. Xzibit just dropped a great album with west coast heat front-to-back....and it's not "G-Funk instrumentals with Zapp samples", like some Kendrick fans keep suggesting people are lookin for. it's just a modernized west coast sound, and it slaps. it's a matter of taste and opinion, and i understand that many people are lovin' this new Kendrick album. but it doesn't make it fact....also, don't forget, it's very easy 2 get caught up in hype.

Yeah there is still a regional sound, I guess I was trying to say its not as important as it used to be. K Dot wanted to make a universal album, rooted in Compton themes, to me he achievedthat. It will be interesting to see how the game is influenced by this album, hopefully it brings content back to the forefront.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2012, 04:06:12 AM »
if 90% of legitimate reviewers, and also random heads think the album is going to be classic, then it likely is.

Not really... music critics have to hype something every year, otherwise no one would be bothered
about their interviews, etc. they're not gonna be like, "everything this year sucks, come back next year"
so they're eager to jump on anything.

Like when "Watch the Throne" came out, for that week you had all the critics (most of whom are not really hip-hop fans)
saying it was amazing, classic, etc. and of course all the Jay-Z and Kanye fans saying it was "another" classic for both guys...
(every album Kanye brings out is declared instant classic by some critics, including XXL)

But now everyone is over that album... this happens more and more nowadays, probably because of the internet and how quickly
stuff can be reviewed and spread, and everyone can get in a frenzy all at once, and how much music comes out...

Same with Odd Future... "OMG, Tyler's album is a classic! It's brand-new!" said all the critics who had never heard
Brother Lynch, Cage, early Em, ICP, Gravediggaz and all the others who did that style before...
And now they're beginning to be the "old" group who were hot "last year"...

Maybe Kendrick's album will go down as classic, but classics often have a "timeless" sound and I think
this will sound "very 2012" in a few years, mainly because of the beats/choruses...

Sccit

« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »
Xzibit just dropped a great album with west coast heat front-to-back....and it's not "G-Funk instrumentals with Zapp samples", like some Kendrick fans keep suggesting people are lookin for. it's just a modernized west coast sound, and it slaps. it's a matter of taste and opinion, and i understand that many people are lovin' this new Kendrick album. but it doesn't make it fact....also, don't forget, it's very easy 2 get caught up in hype.
I don't know. I think the Xzibit album definitely caters to the more traditional West Coast sound that people expect. Not that that's a problem for me but I like that K. Dot is trying something different. I've only had a chance to hear "good kid m.A.A.d city" once so far but to me, it feels like a "game changer". Opinions are really all over the place but that's too be expected. Having heard it, I don't get your regional sound complaint either. The content sound unavoidably L.A., it just isn't the California hip-hop formula we've become accustomed to.

i already agreed with the fact that the content is obviously very west coast.....but aside from content, there is nothing in terms of sound that makes it stick out as a west coast hip-hop album. some people dont mind, some people do. thats all it really comes down 2.

Sccit

« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2012, 08:23:22 AM »
classics often have a "timeless" sound and I think
this will sound "very 2012" in a few years, mainly because of the beats/choruses...

money

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »
if 90% of legitimate reviewers, and also random heads think the album is going to be classic, then it likely is.

Not really... music critics have to hype something every year, otherwise no one would be bothered
about their interviews, etc. they're not gonna be like, "everything this year sucks, come back next year"

Like when "Watch the Throne" came out, for that week you had all the critics (most of whom are not really hip-hop fans)
saying it was amazing, classic, etc. and of course all the Jay-Z and Kanye fans saying it was "another" classic for both guys...
(every album Kanye brings out is declared instant classic by some critics, including XXL)

But now everyone is over that album... this happens more and more nowadays, probably because of the internet and how quickly
stuff can be reviewed and spread, and everyone can get in a frenzy all at once, and how much music comes out...

Same with Odd Future... "OMG, Tyler's album is a classic! It's brand-new!" said all the critics who had never heard
Brother Lynch, Cage, early Em, ICP, Gravediggaz and all the others who did that style before...

Maybe Kendrick's album will go down as classic, but classics often have a "timeless" sound and I think

None of the albums you've mentioned had anything close to the amount of critical acclaim GKMC is getting. Not even close.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »

I don't really remember anyone jumping on the "Watch The Throne" album and hyping it to that degree. It certainly got strong reviews but I never read or any legitimate reviewers or publications suggesting it was an immediate classic.

PLANT

« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2012, 11:29:45 AM »

None of the albums you've mentioned had anything close to the amount of critical acclaim GKMC is getting. Not even close.
Right, and from what I remember, WTT was viewed as a let down and disappointment to most.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2012, 12:19:16 PM »

But now everyone is over that album... this happens more and more nowadays, probably because of the internet and how quickl

Right, and from what I remember, WTT was viewed as a let down and disappointment to most.

Yeah I was gonna say this, I remember that album being a bit of a letdown for critics and fans. I haven't seen a hip hop album get this much love in a long time, I'm talking years, feel free to show me examples that disprove that.

Javii

• 'G'
« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
There are a lot of classic albums that sound outdated or that are very year specific. It's not really a big deal. And the last album to receive this amount of praise was Kanye's solo album. If anything this one exceeds it. Tyler's Goblin was actually a let down to many people. Tyler had huge hype and Odd Future had a lot of momentum going into Goblin, especially when Yonkers came out but ultimately it didn't meet the hype. Good Kid Maad City not only had a lot of hype, but it met or exceeded a majority of people's expectations.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »

But now everyone is over that album... this happens more and more nowadays, probably because of the internet and how quickl

Yeah I was gonna say this, I remember that album being a bit of a letdown for critics and fans. I haven't seen a hip hop album get this much love in a long time, I'm talking years, feel free to show me examples that disprove that.

Kanye's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" got this --

Pitchfork Media - 10/10
Rolling Stone 5/5
Slant Magazine 5/5
XXL - XXL
Robert Christgau - A
Entertainment Weekly - A
The Independent - 5/5
NME - 9/10
Spin   9/10
Allmusic - 4/5
The Guardian - 4/5

So that Kanye album got higher than Kendrick at a bunch of places, Pitchfork, NME, Rolling Stone, etc. and the same on XXL...

I'm not saying it like "Kanye is better than Kendrick", because I don't really like either (they're both ok though),
just to show that sometimes critics go crazy over stuff when it's first out...

westsideconnection

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »
More than likely you all are local LA artist that are mad that Kendrick did his own thing is being successful w/ his music.

It's 2012, gangmembers are wack now in LA, the biggest LA artist are not rappin or sounding like old school west coast guys. Which is why it's working.
There's more of us regular people than these lost souls gangbanging locals. It's a culture, but it's not really how it was painted and romanticized in old
school music. Go look outside, drive around LA, kids and culture has changed.

Kendrick's 'GKMC' speaks to the generation post Snoop, Kurupt, Ice Cube etc. We all still went through the tough times, the gun shots, the police brutality,
we just don't glorify it, it's wack to put these gangmembers on a pedestal.

Long live the reign of #GKMC, a real classic album defining a generation and gearing up for the new LA music takeover, which is not through G-funk, Bang Bang,
Lowrider lifestyle. New music for the variety that exists in all parts of LA.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »
More than likely you all are local LA artist that are mad that Kendrick did his own thing is being successful w/ his music.

It's 2012, gangmembers are wack now in LA, the biggest LA artist are not rappin or sounding like old school west coast guys. Which is why it's working.
There's more of us regular people than these lost souls gangbanging locals. It's a culture, but it's not really how it was painted and romanticized in old

Kendrick's 'GKMC' speaks to the generation post Snoop, Kurupt, Ice Cube etc. We all still went through the tough times, the gun shots, the police brutality,

Long live the reign of #GKMC, a real classic album defining a generation and gearing up for the new LA music takeover, which is not through G-funk, Bang Bang,

thanks Kendrick for signing up to make this post  ::)

Javii

• 'G'
« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2012, 03:27:31 PM »

Kanye's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" got this --

Pitchfork Media - 10/10
Rolling Stone 5/5
Slant Magazine 5/5
XXL - XXL
Robert Christgau - A
Entertainment Weekly - A
The Independent - 5/5
NME - 9/10
Spin   9/10
Allmusic - 4/5
The Guardian - 4/5

So that Kanye album got higher than Kendrick at a bunch of places, Pitchfork, NME, Rolling Stone, etc. and the same on XXL...

I'm not saying it like "Kanye is better than Kendrick", because I don't really like either (they're both ok though),
just to show that sometimes critics go crazy over stuff when it's first out...

They clearly don't just crazy over everything that comes out or with a hype train though. The big fans of the Kanye West album still stand by it.

westsideconnection

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2012, 03:39:18 PM »

thanks Kendrick for signing up to make this post  ::)

If you haven't stepped out the box then this LA music has passed you by, Snoop, Dr Dre, Game days are over. The new generation of LA music has arrived, Kendrick Lamar, JayRock, Ab-Soul, SchoolBoy Q, Nipsey Hussle, Dom Kennedy, Casey Veggies, Odd Future, Hopsin, Blu, Skeme, PacDiv, Thurz. Fresh new artist, that fit how LA really is now in 2012.