Author Topic: What made Nelly so irrelevant? Way back dude was POPPIN!  (Read 803 times)

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
What made Nelly so irrelevant? Way back dude was POPPIN!
« on: October 22, 2012, 03:06:06 PM »
Just fell over this joint in my iTunes library and was wondering did any of yall muhfuckas care for this song?

I thought it was a poor attempt of hoppin on the hyphy/bay wagon and he did that LA song which also was pretty ass.

I know the single Stepped On My J'z didnt do anything for him but what else?

Then dude did Only Just A Dream or whatever it was called and he was back at #1 for a short while.

and now gone again?

J. B A N A N A S

Re: What made Nelly so irrelevant? Way back dude was POPPIN!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »
Probably a lack of effort on his part, combined with not finding a niche and subsequently receiving less promotion from his label.

Plus, I'm sure he's been pretty wealthy after the first half of this decade's string of hits and guest features, so he doesn't really need to stay cranking out #1 singles all the time to get by.

Maybe Pimp Juice was selling well enough at one point and he was able to sell his shares at a high enough price to retire.

sofdark

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:57:13 PM »
Drake's future

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:00:17 PM »
midwestsyder thinks dude is jay z status

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »
His tour bus just got busted with a bunch of weed, HEROIN, and a gun. Somebody else on the bus took the rap.

bouli77

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 03:53:10 AM »
Nelly's still one of the richest dudes in rap i think, so maybe he just doesn't have the hunger to keep grinding as hard as others, good question.

The Bay wasn't an attempt to hop on the hyphy bandwagon, first it was a bonus track, so it wasn't aimed at crossing over or anything. second, it was released when the Hyphy movement was dying down (2008) so it made no sense from a commercial standpoint to do a hyphy track at that moment. it's really just a tribute to some of Nelly's biggest inspiration : Bay area artists and he chose to impersonate E-40, Spice 1 and Too $hort over a Droop E beat. don't really like the song but you gotta admit that the E-40 impression is pretty impressive.

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 04:34:39 AM »
Probably a lack of effort on his part, combined with not finding a niche and subsequently receiving less promotion from his label.

Plus, I'm sure he's been pretty wealthy after the first half of this decade's string of hits and guest features, so he doesn't really need to stay cranking out #1 singles all the time to get by.

Maybe Pimp Juice was selling well enough at one point and he was able to sell his shares at a high enough price to retire.
The 1st 2 answers you replied is probably true.  The last one, un-uh!  I tried the pimp juice years ago & it was nasty.  Not the worst energy drink ever thankfully.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:11:18 AM »
apple bottoms still sells he has money in some other shit too i heard.

musically dude is 6 feet deep and i think thats fine...he had a strong run comparable to 50 cent and hes still got investments and money in the bank sometimes these guys need a rapper intervention where they get told by there family and fans its time to let it go.

Portugoal

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »
It's funny... Sometimes I read on this msg board that Nelly has some classics on his belt (which I agree with), but at the time when he was popular, he was the most critisized artist out there.

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »
What made Nelly relevant? Ever?
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »
Happens in rap all the time. In the 80's there was a lot of rappers that were flash in the pans, then faded out. Think of Sugar Hill Gang, Rob Bass, Tone Loc, Audio Two, in the 90's you had House of Pain, Naughty by Nature, Coolio, CL Smooth, Arrested Development, all of No Limit Records except Snoop Dogg then in the 2000's you had Nelly, D-12, G-Unit, Ja Rule, Cam'ron, Young Jeezy. All of these artist were hotter than Fish Grease (Jayo Felony if you don't get the reference) but they all eventually faded. Look at who had long careers, careers that extended decades, Run DMC, Rakim, Slick Rick, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, 2Pac (through death no less), Wu Tang, Common, Outkast, Nas, Jay-Z, Eminem, Lil' Wayne (sadly). There is something to be said for longevity in Hip-Hop, and only very few achieve it. It looks like Kanye is on his way to achieving it, and if you compare 2004 Kanye to 2012 Kanye, it's way different. Someone "Poppin'" 10 years ago will more than likely be irrelevant now. With all that plastic, I would hate to see Nicki in 10 years. Lil' Kim looks horrible now. It's all a cycle.

Remedy360

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 04:21:09 PM »
It's funny... Sometimes I read on this msg board that Nelly has some classics on his belt (which I agree with), but at the time when he was popular, he was the most critisized artist out there.

I think that's fairly common. Personally, I didn't like Nelly at all at the height of his popularity in the late 90's and early 2000's. I still don't fuck with songs like Hot in Here, but shit like Country Grammar, Ride With Me, etc sound pretty dope these days. I think it's really a matter of perspective. I feel the same way about Ja Rule and some other dudes that were poppin back then, wasn't a fan at the time but compared to the shit on the radio these days it's pretty good. I think there's also a big sense of nostalgia with some tracks for that era.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 05:45:41 PM »
I still don't consider his stuff classic. I think he's on the same level as Coolio or Cam'ron, he had his moment and it's gone. Some people look back and it reminds them of a good experience, and that's fair enough.

midwestryder

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 06:29:36 PM »
midwestsyder thinks dude is jay z status
no, i fucking don't dumbass. also jay-z is overrated & not on the status you think he is . all jay-z is wannabe big daddy kane .

sofdark

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 02:50:00 AM »

I think that's fairly common. Personally, I didn't like Nelly at all at the height of his popularity in the late 90's and early 2000's. I still don't fuck with songs like Hot in Here, but shit like Country Grammar, Ride With Me, etc sound pretty dope these days. I think it's really a matter of perspective. I feel the same way about Ja Rule and some other dudes that were poppin back then, wasn't a fan at the time but compared to the shit on the radio these days it's pretty good. I think there's also a big sense of nostalgia with some tracks for that era.

Shit even Vanilla Ice sounds better than lot of rappers that are poppin' nowdays