Author Topic: Rap Vs. Hip-Hop  (Read 1207 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Rap Vs. Hip-Hop
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »
webster > your life

Sccit's e-life and e-rap career >>> M Dogg's e-life, but who really cares

true.....and also mdogg's e-life > mdogg's  real life

You might be right, right now I'm married with a son and a damn good paying job, but in my e-life in college I was watching Kim Kardashian sex tapes... ooohh yeeah. LOL

Man Fuck KRS ONE and all these other motherfuckers talking about what hip-hop culture is. Because all that shit is is street culture. Simple as that, Just because you utilized the style, slang, and imagery of your block, neighborhood, or city or state and packaged it into your album covers, singles, public image doesn't make you apart of some special culture. Early New York rap was derived of all the happenings at the time, Graffiti isn't just a simple "Hip-Hop" Entity it's existed before and has a massive relation to other sub-genres outside of the so called hip-hop culture.  All These artist who speak about hip-hop are nothing more then wannabe elitist who want to claim something to make them special.

New Yorks style was different from the West Coast, Gangster rap's (older) entire image is taken from the Street and Gang Culture of California. The Term Hip-Hop used to devise a culture is a sham, because everything that supposedly makes hip-hop has always reached a wider aspect then what Hip-Hop culture has made it out to be. 

All these people who talk about living the Hip-Hop Culture or being into the culture are nothing more then retards wanting to belong, because the people who do everything hip-hop has labeled as part of its culture don't call it hip-hop.

I Swear rap has been the only sub-genre of music were people fight about what's the music and fake culture. Correct me if I'm wrong. Rap is rap, simple is that, Doesn't matter if it's from the 1980s, or circa today. The only thing that's changed is the lyricism, production and the style in which the music samples from. Because that's all rap is, is an emulation of who ever decides to make it.

Rap in the early 80s was simplistic ground breaking but simplistic, The Late 80s Brought Juggernaut acts who's style reflected their attitudes, were they were from, and who they were. Just like today. Regardless if it's political or pure ignorance in the lyrical subject matter. It's a musical genre that's the only one that has a stupid stigma of being authentic, which is Ironic considering the biggest names in rap rarely stayed true to their lyrics.

I agree with you in a few things. Rap is Rap. Nelly is just as much Rap as Nas, or Gucci is as much Rap as Rakim. People fighting about what's real and what's fake, I just simply say I ain't feeling it man.

But when it comes to what's Hip-Hop Culture, Hip-Hop Culture is Hip-Hop Culture. Hip-Hop culture is more than just break dancing now, and DJing and Beatboxing sound a lot different when Dr. Dre is using real instrumental. But no matter what you think, if Hip-Hop wants to be a culture, culture has 4 basic elements to it (hey look at that, it's like the Hip-Hop founders actually studied high school anthropology which is the study of culture) which is history (old school, 1972), literature (rapping and spoken word), music (rap music) and art (graffiti). Now to have music, you get dance which was break dancing and pop locking. But when I studied anthropology in college, it all came together with connecting this to Hip-Hop.

Of course then watching interviews with Afrika Bambaadaa, KRS-One, Melle Mel and Kool Herc, the guys who started this, I saw exactly what they did. These are not dumb men, many of the founders of Hip-Hop culture were 5%'ers and they were well read. So they understood to have a separate Hip-Hop sub-culture of the streets, they had to make the culture have these elements that cultures have. I guess they figure history would come, but you have to wonder why the founders of Hip-Hop culture focused so much on 1972 when Hip-Hop was not really big until the 80's. It's because they wanted a history, they wanted the story to help legitimize Hip-Hop as a culture. Rap is Rap, it's part of Hip-Hop, but Hip-Hop is a culture, it's everything put together.