Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar is an EAST COAST rapper  (Read 2521 times)

D Breezy

Re: Kendrick Lamar is an EAST COAST rapper
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »
stupid thread, not EVERYONE on the west coast bangs. how many times can u really sit n listen to gangsta shit without wanting to change the topic up once in a while. kendrick rappin bout real life shit and hes on another level with it, at the same time he spits razor sharp and just clowns lyrically. good artist
Southern Cali Producer D Breezy

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqxEePe3NSCrYlYZrXzm0Pg
IG - @d_breezysounds
iTunes - https://music.apple.com/us/album/what-it-means/1591041892
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/album/7cmg61kWV0NUZ3IqcuczoC

What It Means out now!! feat. Tash, Kokane, T.Kidd, Propain, Joel Q, Bo Roc, LBC Crew, and more

aerroc

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 11:09:28 PM »
and u wonder why those gangsta rappers fell off how many times can u talk about shooting people i enjoyed that era but i moved on 90% of the people here should do the same 

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 11:23:51 PM »
I'm just wondering, do people who are hating on Kendrick for having the wrong beats and subject matter, hate on the OG west coast back packer rap? Hiero, Pharcyde, Freestyle Fellowship don't follow that blueprint but that doesn't make them any less West Coast.

2euce 7even

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 02:08:14 AM »
welcome to 2012

Quadruple OG

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 05:57:32 AM »
funny thing is east coast hip hop heads prolly think kendrick sucks?

Nah, most people outside this board and in the real world recognize Kendrick for what he is: an extremely talented artist who dropped the Album of the Year and one of the best new talents to come out of the west in a long time.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 06:23:08 AM »
Some of y'all must be half illiterate or something.

I said in the topic thread that Kendrick's album is a "good album by a good rapper."

So I'm not "hating" on Kendrick, as many of you keep saying.

I just diagnosed his style: it ain't West Coast. It's East Coast.

Doesn't mean he's bad. Just means he don't got the game and the personality and the style of a West Coast rapper.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

2euce 7even

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2012, 07:11:41 AM »
u can say it bout any new rapper outta west by far.

its 2012 u cant tell by beat if its an east or west or south song. all beats became the same, only thing u can tell what coast the artist is from is from his conent of the lyyrics.

papa-smurf

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2012, 07:59:04 AM »
well i guess biggie smalls  a westcoast rapper then because his shit was about weed,party & fucking bitchies.its nothing intellectual about biggie rymes..But its nothing eastcoast about kendrick.u just a idiot troll that dont wanne give westcoast credit 4 having lyrical rappers.eastcoast rap is garbage.the only eastcoast artist thats dope is naS & AZ

LYRIDER

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 08:15:40 AM »

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 08:42:06 AM »
I'm just wondering, do people who are hating on Kendrick for having the wrong beats and subject matter, hate on the OG west coast back packer rap? Hiero, Pharcyde, Freestyle Fellowship don't follow that blueprint but that doesn't make them any less West Coast.
i been thinking this since i first heard that whole 'doesnt sound west coast' argument...i would suggest someone start a thread explaining how there's been non 'gfunk gangsta' rappers out here since even back when that style of music was popular, if their weren't already too many kdot threads
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

MOBNigga06

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2012, 10:44:35 AM »

To be honest, I don't really fuck with that.

DJ Quik and Kurupt is the shit I consider quintessentially West Coast. Their styles are what I think defines West Coast hip hop.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 10:46:11 AM by MOBNigga06 »
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Hiero, Pharcyde, Freestyle Fellowship don't follow that blueprint but that doesn't make them any less West Coast.

Word, this is why when people say that Kendrick is really new and lyrical, it's odd,
because the guys you named and also groups like Blackalicious, Latyrx, Zion I, Dilated Peoples, Jurassic 5,
they are all at least as skilled if not more so than Kendrick, and they actually DO push stuff in brand new directions...

...but they don't get the spotlight, because in general they haven't tried to make really commercial stuff like Kendrick has...

shoo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »
Just bumped Kendrick's album....

This is a good album from a good rapper, but this is NOT a West Coast album....

Kendrick Lamar is a monotone, cerebral, high-content, intellectual rapper..EAST COAST shit. This nigga should be rappin with motherfuckin Dead Prez or Nas one of them niggas.

West Coast rap is that ignorant, G-funk shit, gangsta shit: it's energetic, it's fun, it's about smoking weed, fuckin bitches, getting high, riding round, feelin good, etc. That ain't Kendrick's album.

Nigga sound more like he's from Brooklyn than Compton.

what about Hieroglyphics to name the first non ignorant west coast rap band that came to my mind?
there are plenty of intelectual rappers from the west. Ignorants are those who never heard about them.
What about Dilated Peoples? Pharcyde?

Damn... stop acting like the west coast is all about gangsta rap...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:22:23 AM by shoo »

Sccit

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »
I heard the same thing in 2005 when Game dropped The Documentary.

"The Documentary" is a west coast album. theres no denying the prevalence of a western sound, front to back.

Kendrick sounds more like a dirty south/midwest rapper, to me. sometimes east coast, as well. as far as him not having a west coast sound, i wrote a piece on that, yad.....

http://blog.weserious.com/?p=141

Sccit

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2012, 12:01:49 PM »
people said the same thing when Crooked I came out...I think Kendrick does a good job of mixing both styles

crooked i's flow is the definition of west coast