Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar is an EAST COAST rapper  (Read 2464 times)

Quadruple OG

Re: Kendrick Lamar is an EAST COAST rapper
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2012, 01:45:32 PM »
Kendrick Lamar: Born and raised in Compton. Signed to a West Coast Label (TDE) that just signed a deal with the biggest name on the West Coast (Dr. Dre). Major studio album is about growing up in Compton with features from MC Eiht, Dr. Dre, and Jay Rock. Yep, sounds like an East Coast Rapper to me.

Fucking retard.

This board has proven it will find any and all excuses to hate on Kendrick Lamar because his album isn't "West Coast" enough for them.

Negaisbacc

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »
spit complex?

@Nik he was agreeing with me smh

Actually, he just agreed with what I said. Big KRIT has a Pimp Cesque flow. Impossible to mistake for an east coast rapper.

u need medicine.  the daily frequency of trying to read ppl and argue with ppl for years has taken a toll on your brain

You're a retard.

Your arguments are unpersuasive.

You've been refuted several times already here.

NikCC is a smart fuckin poster. Bow down, byotch.

Shut the fuck up you fucking faggot, why do u care about this dumb shit?!! I would sell my fucking soul to murder you and ur bloodline.

lol...blunt tyme exposed

Ha 2nd time today a faggot called me an alias. Keep trying jew

Sccit

« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2012, 03:35:17 PM »
i guess blunt tyme was sccitthashit.....u still a bitch, tho

Sccit

« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2012, 03:40:34 PM »
Kendrick Lamar: Born and raised in Compton. Signed to a West Coast Label (TDE) that just signed a deal with the biggest name on the West Coast (Dr. Dre). Major studio album is about growing up in Compton with features from MC Eiht, Dr. Dre, and Jay Rock. Yep, sounds like an East Coast Rapper to me.

Fucking retard.

This board has proven it will find any and all excuses to hate on Kendrick Lamar because his album isn't "West Coast" enough for them.

is it really fair to call him a retard? he's entitled to an opinion, and while i do agree that he is off by calling kendrick an "east coast rapper", kendrick still doesnt have your typical west coast sound. snoop had an overall typical west coast sound comin out, eminem had an overall typical detroit sound comin out, 50 cent had an overall typical east coast sound comin out, game had an overall typical west coast sound comin out....outside of his content, kendrick's overall sound cannot be defined regionally. he does not have your typical west coast sound. u might see it as good or bad, but everyones entitled to their opinions.

calihoodsta00

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »
Ya'll are crazy because Kendrick is bringing something new to the coast that's much needed, he's a eastcoast rapper psh! Wtf instead of realizing how this dude is changing the perception the westcoast ya'll knock him the eastcoast, & south thinks all the west is gangsta rap Kendrick bringing skill back to the Coast that's fucked up wake the hell up ya'll #westwest#

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2012, 06:03:06 PM »
fuck a coast in 2012 its about good music

Negaisbacc

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2012, 07:44:13 PM »
i guess blunt tyme was sccitthashit.....u still a bitch, tho

Oh jew boy, atleast I didnt brat floyd

Quadruple OG

« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2012, 06:46:52 AM »
fuck a coast in 2012 its about good music

Quadruple OG

« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2012, 06:51:32 AM »

Fucking retard.

is it really fair to call him a retard? he's entitled to an opinion, and while i do agree that he is off by calling kendrick an "east coast rapper", kendrick still doesnt have your typical west coast sound. snoop had an overall typical west coast sound comin out, eminem had an overall typical detroit sound comin out, 50 cent had an overall typical east coast sound comin out, game had an overall typical west coast sound comin out....outside of his content, kendrick's overall sound cannot be defined regionally. he does not have your typical west coast sound. u might see it as good or bad, but everyones entitled to their opinions.

I think it's absolutely fair to call him that given his original post.

Me and you have had this back and forth in different Kendrick threads, however sounds in other regions have evolved over time. The South evolved from Luke to Bling Bling to Trapping. East evolved from Shiny Suit Era to Grimy Street stuff (DMX & early Ja Rule) to whatever the fuck they're doing now. So why can't the west coast sound evolve from G-Funk to 2001 to something else?

bouli77

« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2012, 07:19:56 AM »
the west has clearly evolved, and when I say west i mean the offsprings of the NWA legacy, which include many different subgenres as well as the alternative backpacker westcoast shit, since so many rappers feed off both influences.

Kendrick Lamar and his TDE camp all have gangsta influences and backpacker influences as well... and if you think about it even Snoop Dogg and his camp used to perform at the Good Life Café, so they had ties to backpack rap as well.

my point is that Kendrick Lamar isn't a UFO on the westcoast map. he's at the forefront of it, but there's a lot of artists I would compare him to. If you think about it, Terrace Martin is on the same tip (westcoast kinda hipster, strongly gangsta influenced, but not only), Droop-E too, Fashawn, not to mention all the Odd Future shit, Dom Kennedy etc. that's the westcoast nowadays, it ain't gangbanging music, it ain't g-funk (even if the g-funk sonorities are obviously still prevalent). I think it is what it is, we can complain all we what, I personally don't care, I ain't from the west so I don't want the west to sound like this or that, I just want good music that's it, but the bottom line is that Kendrick Lamar just sounds like so many westcoast rappers right now, it's just that the stereotype we have about traditional westcoast music in 2012 is somehow flawed.

Blasphemy (A)

« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »
the west has clearly evolved, and when I say west i mean the offsprings of the NWA legacy, which include many different subgenres as well as the alternative backpacker westcoast shit, since so many rappers feed off both influences.

Kendrick Lamar and his TDE camp all have gangsta influences and backpacker influences as well... and if you think about it even Snoop Dogg and his camp used to perform at the Good Life Café, so they had ties to backpack rap as well.

my point is that Kendrick Lamar isn't a UFO on the westcoast map. he's at the forefront of it, but there's a lot of artists I would compare him to. If you think about it, Terrace Martin is on the same tip (westcoast kinda hipster, strongly gangsta influenced, but not only), Droop-E too, Fashawn, not to mention all the Odd Future shit, Dom Kennedy etc. that's the westcoast nowadays, it ain't gangbanging music, it ain't g-funk (even if the g-funk sonorities are obviously still prevalent). I think it is what it is, we can complain all we what, I personally don't care, I ain't from the west so I don't want the west to sound like this or that, I just want good music that's it, but the bottom line is that Kendrick Lamar just sounds like so many westcoast rappers right now, it's just that the stereotype we have about traditional westcoast music in 2012 is somehow flawed.

I'm from the west and what I can tell G-Funk still popular, The newer acts still get shown love, but I'm likely to hear songs from The Chronic or Alll Eyez from random cars then the new acts.

Sccit

« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »
why can't the west coast sound evolve from G-Funk to 2001 to something else?

im all for evolution, but kendrick's album isn't an evolution of west coast sound...it's an integration of all regional sounds without its own MUSICAL signature. if he was coming with a new sound we never heard before, i'd be all for it. but the sound is very reminiscent of young money, outkast, kanye west, etc. all mixed, i wouldnt call it an "evolution"....content-wise, its an evolution from gangsta rap to hipster rap. it's not bad, but i wouldnt really want this to become the staple sound of the west coast.

D Breezy

« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2012, 12:43:50 AM »
why can't the west coast sound evolve from G-Funk to 2001 to something else?

im all for evolution, but kendrick's album isn't an evolution of west coast sound...it's an integration of all regional sounds without its own MUSICAL signature. if he was coming with a new sound we never heard before, i'd be all for it. but the sound is very reminiscent of young money, outkast, kanye west, etc. all mixed, i wouldnt call it an "evolution"....content-wise, its an evolution from gangsta rap to hipster rap. it's not bad, but i wouldnt really want this to become the staple sound of the west coast.

in the sense that its a mainstream rapper actually rappin bout shit thats meaningful and sellin records, its an evolution from eveything else on the radio
Southern Cali Producer D Breezy

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqxEePe3NSCrYlYZrXzm0Pg
IG - @d_breezysounds
iTunes - https://music.apple.com/us/album/what-it-means/1591041892
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/album/7cmg61kWV0NUZ3IqcuczoC

What It Means out now!! feat. Tash, Kokane, T.Kidd, Propain, Joel Q, Bo Roc, LBC Crew, and more

bouli77

« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2012, 02:46:17 AM »

I'm from the west and what I can tell G-Funk still popular, The newer acts still get shown love, but I'm likely to hear songs from The Chronic or Alll Eyez from random cars then the new acts.

i believe you, and it makes sense, since musically g-funk is much better than what newer westcoast acts have done so far.

Blasphemy (A)

« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2012, 03:17:44 AM »

i believe you, and it makes sense, since musically g-funk is much better than what newer westcoast acts have done so far.

Well from I've seen it seems the newer Acts in the industry can't find a sound that's sellable at the moment. Least during the G-Funk Era everyone had a template they could bite off of, now a sound last a few months and then it fades off. Another thing that really effects the industry is they don't actually invent bangers anymore. Lot of the beats don't sound as hard hitting as they should, nor are the lyrics being delivered with the same prowl. Mainly because they don't try to appeal to anything but ringtones and radio.

Kendrick Lamars Album GKMC is supposed to be some critically acclaimed masterpiece within the industry but barely sold jackshit, even with the so called Aftermath Hype Machine behind hiim his sales were kind of crappy imo. Wiz Khalifa had that Massive Hit in Black and Yellow, you literally couldn't go anywhere without hearing it, but even Rolling Papers sold less.

The Rap industry has always been lower in terms of sales compared to the rest of the industry, it's a nich market despite the fact This is considered the mainstream era, outside of only a few Juggernauts, the rest of the rap industry is basically nothing.The reality of the situation is even if they release a good record, they won't sell, because of Pirating and the fact the fanbase of the genre in general isn't really shit, especially when the majority of the fanbase of the genre Prefers the older Records.

It also has to do with the quality of the music it's self, it's been over-saturated so much to the point where it doesn't matter about quality but quantity, You churn out more records then your competitors the more likely you are to find a gem in a pile of shit, also the more likely you are to create buzz (good or bad, if someones talking about you even if it's bad gets turned positive when you produce something good).

Even then the fact is you're gonna have to keep on Grinding via Touring. It's no wonder Rappers have started coming out with their own Clothing Lines, Drinks, and brands, because the Rap Industry doesn't produce prophet in sales anymore, but in merchandising and Concerts. Lot of these rappers have home made studios because it's cheaper, They buy beats from random producers because it's easier then starting from scratch and can make a recording session quicker. IMO the Industry is in both Decline and on the Rise, The Exposure and Acceptance by mainstream is rising but the Quality of Artist, Music and all around industry is on the decline.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:20:36 AM by Blasphemy (A) »