Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar is an EAST COAST rapper  (Read 2463 times)

bouli77

Re: Kendrick Lamar is an EAST COAST rapper
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2012, 03:44:48 AM »
you're spot on on the grinding aspect, rap is all about the grind now, regardless of the actual music being good or bad. i'm with you on the musical aspect too, to be honest, GKMC was a slight let down production wise especially for a project overseen by Dre, lots of banging beats, but many lukewarm productions too. so far I prefered the overall production on Section .80 (still need to bump GKMC more to get a definitive opinion).

but that's a whole nother debate I guess.... to get back to Kendrick, he does have a regional sound IMO, i'm not from the west but i can definitely draw similarities between him and as diverse an artist as Droop-E, Fashawn, Problem, Tyler the Creator, or Terrace Martin. the game has evolved and a lot of these artists are influenced by the og's on the west but also the biggest artists of their youth : the Jeezy's, Kanye's, Outkast's, so on and so forth. it makes sense, when you like rap music you don't bump an artist just because he's from your area, you bump the biggest artist of the day who you can relate to regardless if he's from here or there. gangsta rappers mostly grew up on KRS-1, Rakim and Ice-T cause they were big when they were young, a lot of south artists (T.I., Z-Ro, Jeezy, Rick Ross) grew up on westcoast artists 'cause they were big when they were young, even if the south had already a movement at the time. etc.

Sccit

« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »

Kendrick Lamars Album GKMC is supposed to be some critically acclaimed masterpiece within the industry but barely sold jackshit, even with the so called Aftermath Hype Machine behind hiim his sales were kind of crappy imo. Wiz Khalifa had that Massive Hit in Black and Yellow, you literally couldn't go anywhere without hearing it, but even Rolling Papers sold less.

huh? he sold 250,000 in the first week.....thats pretty damn good

Blasphemy (A)

« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2012, 02:35:05 AM »

Kendrick Lamars Album GKMC is supposed to be some critically acclaimed masterpiece within the industry but barely sold jackshit, even with the so called Aftermath Hype Machine behind hiim his sales were kind of crappy imo. Wiz Khalifa had that Massive Hit in Black and Yellow, you literally couldn't go anywhere without hearing it, but even Rolling Papers sold less.

That's probably what's even worse, because you have this Highly Critically Acclaimed album (which has been deemed so by industry insiders), Supposedly 1 of the More Hyped artist of 2012, The Backing of a major if not the biggest rap power house of the 2000s, Including Interscope, The Back of Dr. Dre, the Co-Signing of nearly every rapper in the game, and you didn't even go Gold?

The Fact that the Industry/Fans accept these numbers as acceptable or even good, isn't good for the industry standard. I know their are tons of Factors to take in, but again imo This is part of the declining in quality part. The Rap industry needs a injection of creativity, and most of all creditability (AGAIN this probably only Genre were that word needs to be mentioned). No Fan respects the majority of these new artist. Their Style, Their Image, how they portray themselves as ignorant, petty, and most of all stupid even outside of their musical Persona. The 80s, 90s and 2000s the Artist were Articulate, they could provide pro-founding insight, into the reasons they made their record the way they did, They made fans think  and have earned the respect towards them. They didn't go off like retards off bullshit, expecting to be automatically respected and worshiped with blinders on and then throw a bitch fit when people talk about how crappy they music is. 

Outside of a Few MCs, the majority of this next generation is crap imo. But I can't just blame the groups or the labels, It's like a Cycle of Violence one effects the other and it just continues to spiral.

Sccit

« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »

That's probably what's even worse, because you have this Highly Critically Acclaimed album (which has been deemed so by industry insiders), Supposedly 1 of the More Hyped artist of 2012, The Backing of a major if not the biggest rap power house of the 2000s, Including Interscope, The Back of Dr. Dre, the Co-Signing of nearly every rapper in the game, and you didn't even go Gold?

The Fact that the Industry/Fans accept these numbers as acceptable or even good, isn't good for the industry standard. I know their are tons of Factors to take in, but again imo This is part of the declining in quality part. The Rap industry needs a injection of creativity, and most of all creditability (AGAIN this probably only Genre were that word needs to be mentioned). No Fan respects the majority of these new artist. Their Style, Their Image, how they portray themselves as ignorant, petty, and most of all stupid even outside of their musical Persona. The 80s, 90s and 2000s the Artist were Articulate, they could provide pro-founding insight, into the reasons they made their record the way they did, They made fans think  and have earned the respect towards them. They didn't go off like retards off bullshit, expecting to be automatically respected and worshiped with blinders on and then throw a bitch fit when people talk about how crappy they music is. 

Outside of a Few MCs, the majority of this next generation is crap imo. But I can't just blame the groups or the labels, It's like a Cycle of Violence one effects the other and it just continues to spiral.

250 in the first week woulda been good in 2001...nowadays, it's just great. rap albums rarrrrely go gold in the first week. kendrick is not a household name, theres no chance he goes gold in 1 week lol. now, the album will go platinum, which is definitely a success....but i see what ur saying, numbers are down. but xzibit woulda been a better example. he sold 3,200 in the first week after coming out with his best album in over 10 years.

Mr. Theo

« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »
TDE is a Likwit Crew of this century.

They have a very diverse sound. But it is still West Coast !

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

Blasphemy (A)

« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »

250 in the first week woulda been good in 2001...nowadays, it's just great. rap albums rarrrrely go gold in the first week. kendrick is not a household name, theres no chance he goes gold in 1 week lol. now, the album will go platinum, which is definitely a success....but i see what ur saying, numbers are down. but xzibit woulda been a better example. he sold 3,200 in the first week after coming out with his best album in over 10 years.

Napalm selling so Low doesn't surprise me, he only release 1 single, The Single it's self wasn't a Juggernaut, didn't even chart if I recall, he didn't do that much promotion and then releases the album just in 1 months time. That IMO was really bad marketing. Game didn't stop releasing single after single until he had some kind of hit when it came to red. A lot of his fans (this forum also) criticized him for doing that, but in the end he managed to find some sorta charting song. Of Course he sold less then Kendrick but Given the Lack Luster Third Album it wasn't surprising.

But Xzibit completely fucked up the Release of Napalm, it's no wonder he sold so low. He didn't have a hit single, he only released 1 single, barely gave any interviews, he basically popped up outta no where, and before buzz could be spread he released it literally in a months time. I'm sorry but as good as the album is (Which it is, It's gotten non-stop rotation in the ride right now) he fucked up royal. If your product isn't on peoples minds, or exposed enough it's not gonna sell even if it's the cure for cancer.

But yeah Sells are down all over is the main point. The Problem is the rappers in the industry just don't put out the same quality that they used too. E-40 shat out 3 Albums in a row and they barely contained anything good imo. The Rappers need to get into the Thriller state of Mind. When Jackson made Thriller the concept wasn't just oh have a few hit singles and release the album, the concept was that every song on the album be a hit. Rappers need that today. Xzibit released 1 single and then just released the album, Game got him self a hit after he released a bunch of crappy singles, then the hit song was literally the high point of his album. With the way the industry is I'd rather listen to old funk records then any new shit because it's gotten so bad.

jonathandubcnn

« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2012, 10:11:56 PM »
Kendrick Lamar is a WEST COAST rapper with obvious influences from all music, which is a good thing. He just raised the bar for the entire WEST COAST hip-hop community.  Just because he doesn't have melodic g-funk synth sounds it doesn't make it less "west coast".  Just because he is so advanced lyrically with complex rhyme structures and different cadences, doesn't mean he's not west coast.  Kendrick Lamar from Compton, California shows the growth of WEST COAST rap music and IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!  #compton

calihoodsta00

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
^^ I couldn't agree more. Kendrick raised that fuckin bar super high the sad part is that eastcoast praises Kendrick more then the westcoast cause eastcoast is more into true lyricism more than the westcoast who's all about g_funk & gangsta rap. I can remember when game first dropped they ya'll called him a eastcoast rapper too damn! I swear ya'll don't appreciate shit if it ain't g-funk n shit open ya ears ya'll #westwest#

Sccit

« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2012, 07:02:08 PM »
where the fuck the balance at? al i hear is either "kendrick is the greatest!" or "kendrick is weak!"...whatever happened to him just bein a solid mc? he's not droppin classics and he's not floppin' either. he's makin good music and still growing as an artists...mufuckaz saying he's the west coast messiah and mufuckaz sayin he's worthless both need 2 shut the fuck up.