Author Topic: Xzibit's New Album Underrated & Overlooked Through Kendrick Hype  (Read 4521 times)

Sccit

http://blog.weserious.com/?p=188

Seriously, peoples. Xzibit just dropped a great album with his latest release, “Napalm”… a true banger that slaps front-to-back. Are we going to sit here and act like it never happened? X to the Z is a certified west coast legend in the game, one of the greatest to ever do it, and he just gave us his best album in over a decade..
I’m beginning to wonder if the Kendrick Lamar hype is so overwhelming that most rap fans have completely overlooked Xzibit’s return? Don’t get me wrong, Kendrick Lamar dropped a really good conceptual album, and it’s nice to see the west finally get some proper shine, but can Xzibit please get his? This shit right here is the go. But this shit right here only sold 3,200 in its first week…. In comparison, Kendrick is projected to sell 245,000 copies in his first week with “good kid m.A.A.d city”! That difference is truly mind-boggling. Obviously, Xzibit’s album didn’t get the same promotion, hype, and financial backing as Kendrick got with Interscope/Aftermath, but X has paid his dues and undeniably deserves better recognition. Especially after coming with an LP of this caliber.
This is that authentic west coast sound that can’t be fucked with. You can tell by listening that an honest effort was put into the making of the music, which is refreshing in todays day and age, to say the least. The production-value is extremely high (especially for an independent release) and the flows are on point, as Xzibit gets deep as ever, painting vivid pictures with his thought-provoking lyricism over hard hitting beats, guaranteed to fuck your eardrums. Definitely much better than Xzibit’s last few albums, and I’d probably go as far as sayin’ album of the year. Stand-out tracks are “1983″, “Killers Remorse”, “Louis XIII”, “Dos Equise”, “Movie”, “Gangsta Gangsta”…fuck it, the whole album is one big highlight. FINAL RATING: 8/10

Si-Chiggedy

Re: Xzibit's New Album Underrated & Overlooked Through Kendrick Hype
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:49:29 AM »
nope.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

Will_B

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:09:30 AM »
must not be xzibit fans...this is his best work since "man vs machine". possibly even "restless".

Will_B

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 04:13:05 AM »
must not be xzibit fans...this is his best work since "man vs machine". possibly even "restless".

Believe I got all dudes albums. It's good for an underground album, really. But no more than 6.5/10

Kendrick only got a 7.5/10 from me. It's hotter but it ain't a masterpiece or close

Peace

HighEyeCue

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 04:15:23 AM »
its a dope album but until recently I didn't know that Xzibit was still alive, thats how much promo he got

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 04:26:54 AM »

Believe I got all dudes albums. It's good for an underground album, really. But no more than 6.5/10

Kendrick only got a 7.5/10 from me. It's hotter but it ain't a masterpiece or close

Peace

in comparison to other reviewers, your rating is low. allhiphop.com actually gave it an 8.5/10, hiphopsite.com and dubcnn gave it a 4/5, and rapreviews gave it a 7.5/10.....6.5 seems low for an album of this quality. bump it again.

Will_B

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 04:38:14 AM »

Peace

in comparison to other reviewers, your rating is low. allhiphop.com actually gave it an 8.5/10, hiphopsite.com and dubcnn gave it a 4/5, and rapreviews gave it a 7.5/10.....6.5 seems low for an album of this quality. bump it again.

Lol no disrespect but I could equally say their ratings are too high. Albums decent but there's too many weaker points to even be a 7, it's a fairly slick independent effort don't get me wrong. Won't be in my top 5, cool if it's yours my dude.

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 05:43:28 AM »

Peace

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:47:26 AM by Si-Chiggedy »
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

doublee313

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 05:54:14 AM »
http://blog.weserious.com/?p=188

Seriously, peoples. Xzibit just dropped a great album with his latest release, “Napalm”… a true banger that slaps front-to-back. Are we going to sit here and act like it never happened? X to the Z is a certified west coast legend in the game, one of the greatest to ever do it, and he just gave us his best album in over a decade..
I’m beginning to wonder if the Kendrick Lamar hype is so overwhelming that most rap fans have completely overlooked Xzibit’s return? Don’t get me wrong, Kendrick Lamar dropped a really good conceptual album, and it’s nice to see the west finally get some proper shine, but can Xzibit please get his? This shit right here is the go. But this shit right here only sold 3,200 in its first week…. In comparison, Kendrick is projected to sell 245,000 copies in his first week with “good kid m.A.A.d city”! That difference is truly mind-boggling. Obviously, Xzibit’s album didn’t get the same promotion, hype, and financial backing as Kendrick got with Interscope/Aftermath, but X has paid his dues and undeniably deserves better recognition. Especially after coming with an LP of this caliber.
This is that authentic west coast sound that can’t be fucked with. You can tell by listening that an honest effort was put into the making of the music, which is refreshing in todays day and age, to say the least. The production-value is extremely high (especially for an independent release) and the flows are on point, as Xzibit gets deep as ever, painting vivid pictures with his thought-provoking lyricism over hard hitting beats, guaranteed to fuck your eardrums. Definitely much better than Xzibit’s last few albums, and I’d probably go as far as sayin’ album of the year. Stand-out tracks are “1983″, “Killers Remorse”, “Louis XIII”, “Dos Equise”, “Movie”, “Gangsta Gangsta”…fuck it, the whole album is one big highlight. FINAL RATING: 8/10

I 100% agree with you on this.  X dropped a solid "West Coast" album keeping it real.  I haven't heard anything in sooooo long that had this type of production from a WC artist.

I'm not digging KL as his style doesn't feel WC to me.  I'm sure a lot of people like it, and that's fine.

The only thing I'm really looking forward to is Roscoe which seems to keep it WC. 

dameons

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 07:01:24 AM »
Xzibit has a waaaay better album...A damn shame it wasnt appreciated .Kendrick put out bullshit , but had Interscope telling everyone it was a classic and brainwashed people into buying into it.

bouli77

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 07:38:27 AM »

Peace

Lol no disrespect but I could equally say their ratings are too high. Albums decent but there's too many weaker points to even be a 7, it's a fairly slick independent effort don't get me wrong. Won't be in my top 5, cool if it's yours my dude.

i'm with you here... I liked Xzibit's album for what it is... it's a solid release, nice lyricism overall, flow is on point most of the time, the production is always decent and very dope at times... the beats sound crisp and hard hitting but there are too many fillers. some songs are really uninspired and boring even though the beat is tight, and X flows kinda nice. there are songs that sound literally the same, and songs where the beat is so damn repetitive and X talks about that same westcoast bragadoccio / profane lyrics it just doesn't sound fresh anymore. I always liked Xzibit for his lyricism, and always hated when he tried to convey that "hard" persona (understand I always like Xzibit pre Restless and never thoroughly enjoyed Restless and post Restless Xzibit), and there are unnecessary songs where he does just that in the album. that being said there are extremely dope tracks, 1983, Louis XIII, Movies, the song with Slim, the song with B-Real, the song with E-40 is growing on me too.

so for me it's a 6.5/10, maybe 7. not more. but that's a good enough release in my book, i bump it everyday on my way too work. I just don't rate it as high as you do, Nik.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 12:26:45 PM »
It is what it is. Xzibit didn't only sell X amount of copies because of the Kendrick hype. It's not like it's unheard of people to buy more than two albums in the same month. Xzibit's album is solid, that's with or without K. Dot's album being factored in, but the promotion is lacking. That has nothing to do with Kendrick's album.

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
nope.

This^^

6.5/10

Willie B, how are you listening to this?  Please don't tell me your headphones.... Sonically, this album is a monster and you need a system with good bass to truly appreciate this, if not a sub-woofer.  
I've listened to this album at least 10 full times through, favourites many more and I'd have to give it an 8.  If he took off 3-4 filler tracks, I'd probably bump it up to a 9. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:38:26 PM by WalterOhDim »

doggfather

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 12:38:35 PM »
its a dope album but until recently I didn't know that Xzibit was still alive, thats how much promo he got
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ