Author Topic: Xzibit's New Album Underrated & Overlooked Through Kendrick Hype  (Read 4518 times)

Sccit

Re: Xzibit's New Album Underrated & Overlooked Through Kendrick Hype
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 01:01:08 PM »
must not be xzibit fans...this is his best work since "man vs machine". possibly even "restless".

Believe I got all dudes albums. It's good for an underground album, really. But no more than 6.5/10

Kendrick only got a 7.5/10 from me. It's hotter but it ain't a masterpiece or close

Peace

in comparison to other reviewers, your rating is low. allhiphop.com actually gave it an 8.5/10, hiphopsite.com and dubcnn gave it a 4/5, and rapreviews gave it a 7.5/10.....6.5 seems low for an album of this quality. bump it again.

Lol no disrespect but I could equally say their ratings are too high. Albums decent but there's too many weaker points to even be a 7, it's a fairly slick independent effort don't get me wrong. Won't be in my top 5, cool if it's yours my dude.

i'm with you here... I liked Xzibit's album for what it is... it's a solid release, nice lyricism overall, flow is on point most of the time, the production is always decent and very dope at times... the beats sound crisp and hard hitting but there are too many fillers. some songs are really uninspired and boring even though the beat is tight, and X flows kinda nice. there are songs that sound literally the same, and songs where the beat is so damn repetitive and X talks about that same westcoast bragadoccio / profane lyrics it just doesn't sound fresh anymore. I always liked Xzibit for his lyricism, and always hated when he tried to convey that "hard" persona (understand I always like Xzibit pre Restless and never thoroughly enjoyed Restless and post Restless Xzibit), and there are unnecessary songs where he does just that in the album. that being said there are extremely dope tracks, 1983, Louis XIII, Movies, the song with Slim, the song with B-Real, the song with E-40 is growing on me too.

so for me it's a 6.5/10, maybe 7. not more. but that's a good enough release in my book, i bump it everyday on my way too work. I just don't rate it as high as you do, Nik.

fsheez...i gotta say, though, if u didn't enjoy "Restless", then we gunna have a difference of opinion when it comes to Xzibit. but as long as u enjoyed the album, keep bumpin it. maybe it'll grow on u. the singles grew on me, as i wasnt really feelin them at first..they sound better with the flow of the album, though.

Will_B

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 01:35:04 PM »
If he took off 3-4 filler tracks, I'd probably bump it up to a 9. 

Lol

bouli77

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 01:45:53 PM »
i loved restless sonically, don't get me wrong, i just never really bought into the gangsta persona that X adopted, and I always thought it was kinda forced and didn't go with X's character. therefore i rate his first two albums higher, and i think they're more authentic. but restless is one of these dope ass westcoast albums that flourished in the wake of Dre's 2001 (along with tha eastsidaz, doggy's angels, dillinger & young gotti, etc.)

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 02:19:10 PM »

Lol

Are you gonna answer my question?  Because if its through headphones or shitty computer speakers I can't count your opinion amigo

Sccit

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »
It is what it is. Xzibit didn't only sell X amount of copies because of the Kendrick hype. It's not like it's unheard of people to buy more than two albums in the same month. Xzibit's album is solid, that's with or without K. Dot's album being factored in, but the promotion is lacking. That has nothing to do with Kendrick's album.

people have been waiting for a great west coast album. the kendrick hype possibly coulda overshadowed and killed any hype x would've potentially gained if everyone wasn't talkin about kendrick. it deserves more attention. 3,200 in comparison to 245,000 is a big difference.

Sccit

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 02:46:12 PM »
i loved restless sonically, don't get me wrong, i just never really bought into the gangsta persona that X adopted, and I always thought it was kinda forced and didn't go with X's character. therefore i rate his first two albums higher, and i think they're more authentic. but restless is one of these dope ass westcoast albums that flourished in the wake of Dre's 2001 (along with tha eastsidaz, doggy's angels, dillinger & young gotti, etc.)

I like Xzibit's first 2 lyrically, and I like "Restless" production-wise. Overall, I'd say all of his first 3 are west coast classics, and this is the closest he's gotten to that form since.

D-TalkX

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 09:23:05 PM »
Agreed.

it's all opinion and preference though.

My opinion is X - 7.5/10
Kendrick - 5/10 - sorry guys this shit bored me

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 01:17:52 AM »
I thought the response to X's album was mostly positive on this board, album slapped. Veto did a great job on the mastering.

Will_B

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 01:36:27 AM »

Lol

Are you gonna answer my question?  Because if its through headphones or shitty computer speakers I can't count your opinion amigo

iPod sub/base station. If it was a better album the CD would've been ordered right after I heard the leak

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 04:56:13 AM »
iPod sub/base station. If it was a better album the CD would've been ordered right after I heard the leak

Will that is very unfortunate, my condolences.  I've heard those Ispeakers, like Altec Lansing and Logitech and they just don't do rap or electronic music justice.  You need real speakers that can output bass to truly enjoy this album. 
Technically speaking, its amazing.  It's mastered well and if you have the right shit, Xs voice willl even grumble through the low-end.  Production and mixing/mastering are probably a 9/10 for me, maybe even 9.5.  Haven't "heard" an album like this in awhile.   I've mixed rap before and this would be something to look up to as a great example or goal. 

Will_B

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 05:02:08 AM »

Will that is very unfortunate, my condolences.  I've heard those Ispeakers, like Altec Lansing and Logitech and they just don't do rap or electronic music justice.  You need real speakers that can output bass to truly enjoy this album.  
Technically speaking, its amazing.  It's mastered well and if you have the right shit, Xs voice willl even grumble through the low-end.  Production and mixing/mastering are probably a 9/10 for me, maybe even 9.5.  Haven't "heard" an album like this in awhile.   I've mixed rap before and this would be something to look up to as a great example or goal.  

I appreciate your eloquent efforts to push the album, really I do.

I'm not listening only for production finesse. Yes a lot of it is dope, but a lot of it Xzibit sounds uninspired, or the beats/tracks/hooks are unambitious/corny. On his past album sessions, a lot of the tracks would be b-sides or leftovers

Okka

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 05:33:56 AM »
Another thread about Kendrick's album? Come on, man. Xzibit is in my Top 5 and the new album was dope, but "GKMC" is better.

bouli77

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 06:18:03 AM »
it really sounds like it's well mastered, even through my profane ears. that's the first thing i thought as i heard the first track. need to bump it on a better sound system though. but as will said some songs just sound uninspired and the beat is monotonous, even though it is really crisp.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 06:33:54 AM »
some songs just sound uninspired and the beat is monotonous, even though it is really crisp.

that's "westcoast" sounding Beats for u.  Obviously it isnt all bad but its far from all good either.  but i'll admit that it goes like that for all regions too even tho at the same time aint nobody really thinking "regional" sounds making music nowadays which is just as much of a + as it is a -   For more or less most artist seem to go into the studio doing what they wanna do

i previewed this album in i-tunes but that was only just to get familiar with it a little.  I think he just did thus for his hardcore-stans and becuz he hasnt had an album out in a while.  Even tho he's okay here n there on Features his solo career is dead.  He's at a point where he should be focusing on TV/Films and other ventures.  Props to him tho, get tha $ and do what u love.  

Will_B

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 06:47:03 AM »
some songs just sound uninspired and the beat is monotonous, even though it is really crisp.

that's "westcoast" sounding Beats for u.

On the real tho if West Coast beats are meant to be no more than this (standardised), and West Coast MC's are 'meant' to be non-lyrical and 'stick to a script' then wtf is the Coast's musical output worth these days?

And that question ain't for you, I'm just pickin up on what ppl be sayin of late