Author Topic: Dr. Dre Goes Hollywood  (Read 178 times)

Suga Foot

Dr. Dre Goes Hollywood
« on: November 14, 2001, 07:19:46 PM »
This is from Toogangsta:

Dre is going Hollywood, but not by way of the 'hood.

"I think most people that are involved in hip hop want to get into the movie business to make movies about hip hop or their neighborhood," says the multimillionaire gangsta rapper. "I have a broader picture of what I want to do. I want to create movies like 'Pulp Fiction' or 'Snatch,' something really creative that steps out of what I do."

At this stage of his film career, Dre is obviously not intimated.

"If Quentin Tarantino can do it, I can do it, too," he says. "If John Singleton can get nominated for an Oscar, I can, too. I feel I'm a pretty smart and creative guy."

Dre, who is accompanied to this interview by 12 bodyguards, intends to master acting, then move on to directing and producing. He says his goal is to have the same control over his films that he has over his music, and — if he's lucky — have the same success.

His albums have sold more than 40 million copies, he has won three Grammies, and this year alone, the man who launched Eminem has produced hits for such popular rap artists as Eve, Xzibit, Mary J. Blige and Bilal.

Though he says his real interest in film is directing, the 36-year-old Dre is available for front-of-the-camera duty, too. In Denzel Washington's "Training Day," he plays a member of Washington's entourage. In "The Wash," a comedy opening today, he shares top billing with Snoop Dogg, playing the hard-working assistant manager of a car wash. Asked to compare himself with his character in "The Wash," Dre says he's not as easygoing.

"I'm more like my music," he says. "I'm kind of radical and part lunatic, but it's a good thing. I like having wild fun."

Besides his starring role, Dre co-produced "The Wash" and helped shape the script. It's all part of his apprenticeship.

"I'm learning how movies are marketed and distributed," he says. "In my movie career, I feel I'm where I was when I was … just starting out. I've had opportunities to do movies in the past and have been offered three-picture deals, but I have to have a lot of control over what I do.

"I don't expect 'The Wash' to be 'The Godfather.' We only spent $3 million and went and had some fun. We'll make a profit. Everyone thinks it's funny — white kids, black kids. You can even take little kids to see it, if you don't mind the language."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Half Dogg,Half Monkey..Bitch! Donkey Kong
Re: Dr. Dre Goes Hollywood
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2001, 07:27:27 PM »
thanks homeboy
snoop dogg - "i don't fuck with the pocus everybody
knows this , i fuck with the chronic cause the chronic
gives me dopeness"                                   

- Look here bitch you're fine and i dig your style...-

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2001, 07:29:29 PM »
hey sugar daddy , can u tell me how we can listen to some music from toogangsta.net please.. i wanna listen the new snoop joint with someone i forgot the name ...sorry
gives me dopeness"                                   

Suga Foot

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2001, 07:38:13 PM »
Yeah, I don't know how.  It won't work for me.

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2001, 09:26:15 PM »
ok kool
gives me dopeness"                                   

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2001, 12:53:38 AM »
Awww man, imagine a Dre version of Pulp Fiction! That would b awsome. I love that film as it is but if there was a hip-hop element to it i'd love it even more! I think the best thing about that film is the way they use the music to signify and emphasize everything, that'd work well 4 a Dre film production!

BTW, Y didn't u post this in the main forum  ??? Or did u & it got moved ???

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Murrow

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2001, 01:33:50 AM »
I don't really like Dre's move to Hollywood.  I don't want him to slow down with music to be honest.  I could care less if he does movies.

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2001, 07:54:56 AM »

I don't really like Dre's move to Hollywood.  I don't want him to slow down with music to be honest.  I could care less if he does movies.

he got to stop someday so he's taking some pratice with that  to continue acting after this music shit... oh n i think that sugar daddy didn't post this in the main cause it was down at this moment :-/
gives me dopeness"                                   

Suga Foot

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2001, 10:31:07 AM »
I posted in here because the main forum was down.  If it can be moved by one of the mods, feel free to.

TheShiznit227

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "We Livin' this shit 'til the day that we die, Survival of the Fit only the strong survive..." Mobb Deep
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2001, 03:38:10 PM »
Has anyone seen The Wash yet?  At the Sohh.com board they sayin' it had a few good parts, but for the most part it was a wannabe Friday,and was whack...
"One Nation under a Groove, gettin' down jus' for tha funk of it..."

"Rest In Peace to all lives Stolen on September 11th, 2001..." Trey Lawrence III

"Yo, they call me Nas, I'm not your legal type of fella/Moet drinkin, marijuana smokin street dwellah" Nas on "Represent"