Author Topic: i know why i loved the old WESTCOAST sound...  (Read 529 times)

iDontTrip

• Muthafuckin' OG
i know why i loved the old WESTCOAST sound...
« on: November 14, 2012, 09:06:35 PM »
cause it was DIFFERENT then the south and eastcoast sound!  :laugh: :laugh:

now almost everything LITERALLY sounds the same..i mean, i do bump SOME new shit but they mostly from the south..

but im talkin WESTCOAST..some of yall need to stop kidding yourselves 98% of the new shit is garbage lol  8) 8) 8)
opinion
   [uh-pin-yuhn]
noun
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.

TRAX (SFV)

Re: i know why i loved the old WESTCOAST sound...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:11:30 PM »
True dat.  It's time to reclaim the west sound.
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:41:57 AM »

now almost everything LITERALLY sounds the same..i mean, i do bump SOME new shit but they mostly from the south..

but im talkin WESTCOAST..some of yall need to stop kidding yourselves 98% of the new shit is garbage lol  8) 8) 8)

agreed
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

BabyBird

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 01:14:47 PM »
13 107th st ese lil shysta put it down for that SS CALIFAS WEST LOS ANGELES INGLEWOOD

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »

agreed
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

B.A.

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »
Just to add to what was OP said (I'll try not to jack your thread iDontTrip), before it wasn't just that the westcoast, eastcoast, south, etc. that had it's own sound, there were variations of the sound even within the same coast. The Bay had their sound compared to what they we doing at Death Row or Ruthless for example. And even within the Bay, E-40/Sick Wid It sounded a little different than Dru Down/Luniz, or Spice 1 compared to Too $hort. Ice Cube, Mack 10 and WC had their own similar but different take on the westcoast sound that they were pushing compared to other artists. Then there's Black Market and what they did, Lynch and them. I feel like the production that was being used was more authentic, more original and more specific to the artist.  

Even on the eastcoast, you wouldn't confuse Wu-Tang with Biggie, or Nas with DMX. Erick Sermon and the Def Squad had a sound. No Limit had their own producers and their own sound as well. Crucial Conflict and Do or Die, similar but still different (and both similar but different to what Bone was doing). Timbaland and his artists. The List goes on and on. It used to be that a lot, if not most, labels/groups/artists would use their own team of producers, their in-house producer(s), which gave them their signature sound, like Cypress Hill and DJ Mugs for example. Even when it came to features, you'd see a lot less artist working with artist from other labels/camps and specially other coasts than you do now; it still happened but it wasn't expected like it is nowadays.

Today a lot of the major releases have to have certain producers, certain features for hooks or verses, and if they don't get the actual producer or artist then they'll imitate it as best they can. There's a formula now that most follow instead of doing their own thing, real gimmicky shit and a lot of times the results are albums that sound like compilations that aren't very cohesive. That's why, specially on major releases, you get the same sounding shit, doesn't matter if it's from the east or westcoast, they're still real similar. This doesn't apply to all major artist but the majority. Underground shit has more of a variation but even then you'll still hear some artists that are doing the same music that everyone else is doing.

It's crazy considering that since the beginning, one of the biggest no-no's in rap/hip-hop has been biting and jacking some one else's style. With all the technology available to artist and software studios being so cheap to buy now (that's if it's not getting downloaded for free) compared to the studios that were used back in the day, it's surprising how rap music hasn't become even more diverse than it was before and instead is sounding more and more alike everyday. But that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 04:24:40 PM by B.A. »
"Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin'" - DJ Quik

papa-smurf

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:06:36 PM »

exactly.west had its own style.But not any more.i still got faith in dj quik tho

Sccit

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »
Just to add to what was OP said (I'll try not to jack your thread iDontTrip), before it wasn't just that the westcoast, eastcoast, south, etc. that had it's own sound, there were variations of the sound even within the same coast. The Bay had their sound compared to what they we doing at Death Row or Ruthless for example. And even within the Bay, E-40/Sick Wid It sounded a little different than Dru Down/Luniz, or Spice 1 compared to Too $hort. Ice Cube, Mack 10 and WC had their own similar but different take on the westcoast sound that they were pushing compared to other artists. Then there's Black Market and what they did, Lynch and them. I feel like the production that was being used was more authentic, more original and more specific to the artist.  

Even on the eastcoast, you wouldn't confuse Wu-Tang with Biggie, or Nas with DMX. Erick Sermon and the Def Squad had a sound. No Limit had their own producers and their own sound as well. Crucial Conflict and Do or Die, similar but still different (and both similar but different to what Bone was doing). Timbaland and his artists. The List goes on and on. It used to be that a lot, if not most, labels/groups/artists would use their own team of producers, their in-house producer(s), which gave them their signature sound, like Cypress Hill and DJ Mugs for example. Even when it came to features, you'd see a lot less artist working with artist from other labels/camps and specially other coasts than you do now; it still happened but it wasn't expected like it is nowadays.

Today a lot of the major releases have to have certain producers, certain features for hooks or verses, and if they don't get the actual producer or artist then they'll imitate it as best they can. There's a formula now that most follow instead of doing their own thing, real gimmicky shit and a lot of times the results are albums that sound like compilations that aren't very cohesive. That's why, specially on major releases, you get the same sounding shit, doesn't matter if it's from the east or westcoast, they're still real similar. This doesn't apply to all major artist but the majority. Underground shit has more of a variation but even then you'll still hear some artists that are doing the same music that everyone else is doing.

It's crazy considering that since the beginning, one of the biggest no-no's in rap/hip-hop has been biting and jacking some one else's style. With all the technology available to artist and software studios being so cheap to buy now (that's if it's not getting downloaded for free) compared to the studios that were used back in the day, it's surprising how rap music hasn't become even more diverse than it was before and instead is sounding more and more alike everyday. But that's just my opinion.

Money

Sikotic™

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 11:00:31 PM »
13 107th st ese lil shysta put it down for that SS CALIFAS WEST LOS ANGELES INGLEWOOD
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE