Author Topic: Don't Eat Pork  (Read 900 times)

Sccit

Don't Eat Pork
« on: November 28, 2012, 11:38:54 AM »
Analysis finds contaminated U.S. pork products

Our analysis of pork-chop and ground-pork samples from around the U.S. found that yersinia enterocolitica, a bacterium that can cause fever, diarrhea, and abdominal pain, was widespread. Some samples harbored other potentially harmful bacteria, including salmonella. And there are more reasons to be concerned about “the other white meat.”

Some of the bacteria we found in 198 samples proved to be resistant to antibiotics commonly used to treat people. The frequent use of low-dose antibiotics in pork farming may be accelerating the growth of drug-resistant “superbugs” that threaten human health.

About one-fifth of the 240 pork products we analyzed in a separate test harbored low levels of the drug ractopamine, which the U.S. approved in 1999 to promote growth and leanness in pigs. It’s commonly used in pigs raised for food in the U.S. but is banned in the European Union, China, and Taiwan. Our food-safety experts say that no drugs should be used routinely in healthy animals to promote growth. Here are details from our tests:

Yersinia enterocolitica was in 69 percent of the tested pork samples. It infects about 100,000 Americans a year, especially children. We found salmonella, staphylococcus aureus, or listeria monocytogenes, more common causes of foodborne illness, in 3 to 7 percent of samples. And 11 percent harbored enterococcus, which can indicate fecal contamination and can cause problems such as urinary-tract infections.
Some of the bacteria we found were resistant to multiple drugs or classes of drugs. That’s worrisome, because if those bugs make you sick, your doctor may need to prescribe more powerful (and expensive) antibiotics.
Ground pork was more likely than pork chops to harbor pathogens. That’s to be expected, since grinding meat provides another opportunity for contamination.
Some antibiotic claims you’ll see on packaging are misleading. And a “no hormones added” claim might be true but is meaningless, because hormones aren’t allowed in pork production.
Learn What Foods Contain Arsenic

Resistant Staph and Salmonella

All animals (humans included) have bacteria on their skin and in their gastrointestinal tract. Some are beneficial, including the probiotic kind, which help digestion. Others, such as salmonella, can be harmful to people, but affected animals might not become ill. Confining animals in less-than-clean quarters can allow bad bacteria to proliferate.

An animal’s muscles (meat), blood, and brain are normally sterile. But during slaughter and processing, meat can become contaminated with bacteria from the animal’s skin or gut and from workers, equipment, or the environment. Contamination is especially likely to occur if processing lines run too fast or if sanitary practices aren’t followed. Once bacteria are on meat, improper storage can encourage them to multiply.

To minimize contamination, the federal government requires processors of meat, poultry, and seafood to create safety and inspection procedures collectively known as HACCP (pronounced hass-ip), which stands for Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points. Implemented for meat and poultry plants in 1997, HACCP is officially the consumer’s first line of protection against contaminated pork. But inspectors spot-test for a limited number of pathogens. Yersinia enterocolitica, for example, isn’t among them. And the Department of Agriculture can’t require a recall if HACCP plans fail to meet goals.

“Very low contamination levels in hog carcasses indicate that companies’ practices are adequately controlling pathogens,” a USDA spokeswoman told us. But our tests showed that some harmful bacteria can make their way into your kitchen.

Moreover, the bacteria we found often continued to multiply even in the presence of some drugs designed to kill them or stop them from reproducing. Thirteen of 14 staphylococcus samples we isolated from pork were resistant to one or more antibiotics. So were six of eight salmonella samples, 12 of 19 enterococcus samples, and 121 of 132 yersinia samples. One sample was identified as MRSA, a drug-resistant and sometimes fatal staph.

Diet Taste-Off: Jenny Craig vs. Nutrisystem

Antibiotics Create Super Bugs

Some 80 percent of all antibiotics sold in the U.S. are given to animals raised for food. Often, those drugs aren’t used to treat infections but are fed continuously in low doses to promote growth and prevent infections that can spread in the cramped quarters in which most farm animals live. A single barn from a large hog-production facility can hold 2,000 or more pigs, creating ideal conditions for the spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

“When you give low-dose antibiotics for growth promotion or for prophylaxis of infection, you end up killing off the susceptible bacteria, whether they’re E. coli, salmonella, campylobacter, or other bacteria,” says Robert S. Lawrence, M.D., director of the Center for a Livable Future at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore. “And you continue to select for those bacteria that, through spontaneous mutations or transfer of genes from other resistant bacteria, allow them to be resistant to antibiotics.” Lawrence cited recent laboratory research at Boston University suggesting that the continual exposure to low doses of antibiotics causes enough stress in bacteria to increase the rate of spontaneous mutations that render the bugs resistant to drugs, a process known as mutagenesis.

Mutant bacteria in animals can cause not only foodborne illness but also other treatment-resistant problems, such as infections of the skin or urinary tract. That’s because the bugs don’t just end up in the meat you buy; they can also wind up in fertilizer or contaminate the environment. And they can spread from person to person.

The Ractopamine Controversy

Another drug fed to animals, ractopamine, is given to as many as 60 to 80 percent of pigs raised in the U.S., by one estimate. It was originally developed (but never approved) as an asthma treatment for humans and was later found to boost pigs’ growth and lean muscle mass.

The U.S. pork industry says ractopamine is safe. “Ractopamine is approved and used in 26 other countries, including some of the Asian countries,” says Dave Warner, director of communications for the National Pork Producers Council, an industry group. “The issues with China and Taiwan have nothing to do with the safety of the product. Countries that have banned pork or meat from animals fed ractopamine are doing it to protect their domestic pork industries. This is not about food safety.”

The European Food Safety Authority, which advises the European Union on food policy, concluded that it couldn’t establish a safe level for ractopamine in food after reviewing the only study of its effect on humans (involving just six men). But it noted that drugs like ractopamine can cause restlessness, anxiety, a fast heart rate, and other conditions. And FDA documents show that it increases the risk of injury and lameness in pigs.

Warner emphasized that the U.S. pork industry uses ractopamine at levels that meet FDA and international food-safety standards. Indeed, although we found the drug at detectable levels in about 20 percent of our 240 pork samples, all had less than 5 parts per billion. That’s well below the FDA’s limit of 50 ppb in muscle tissue and the international limit of 10 ppb adopted in July 2012 by the Codex Alimentarius Commission, a program of the United Nations.

We asked three of the nation’s largest pork producers—Smithfield Foods, Tyson, and JBS USA, which makes the Swift Premium and Swift Premium Natural brands—about their use of ractopamine. Keira Lombardo, vice president of investor relations and corporate communications at Smithfield, called it “a safe and effective FDA-approved feed supplement that has been widely used in the hog-farming industry for many years.” Lombardo and a JBS spokeswoman, Margaret McDonald, told us their companies produce pork with and without ractopamine according to their customers’ specifications.

Some food companies, including Chipotle Mexican Grill, Niman Ranch, and Whole Foods, say they don’t sell any meat from pigs raised with ractopamine. Consumers Union, the policy and advocacy arm of Consumer Reports, has pressed for a ban of the drug, citing insufficient evidence that it’s safe.

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/whats-pork

Hack Wilson - real

Re: Don't Eat Pork
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 12:30:56 PM »
i only eat pork at BBQ spots

theres this nice little spot in Vermont called Smokin J's and they got some of the best ribs ive ever had  8)

and ironically while i love buying steaks i rarely eat them at restaurants cuz they are so over priced

Sccit

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 06:39:19 PM »
the average lifespan of a pork-consumer is 10 years less than a non-pork-consumer.

BabyBird

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
yes i did notice the hike in price, specifically steaks  :cheers:

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
the average lifespan of a pork-consumer is 10 years less than a non-pork-consumer.
what about thizz consumers? ;)

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »

they live longer

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 08:24:22 PM »

they live longer

with mad holes in their brains :D

anyways i'll take eating some tasty-ass ribs over popping x  8)

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »

they live longer

with mad holes in their brains :D

anyways i'll take eating some tasty-ass ribs over popping x  8)

holes in the brain is propaganda made up by the government in their war against drugs. thizz is no more dangerous for ur brain than many prescription drugs available to us legally. bad pork is worse for ur brain than good thizz.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 08:32:43 PM »
yo elior you ever had ribs before? 

some of the best food on earth is made of pork  8)

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »
yo elior you ever had ribs before? 

some of the best food on earth is made of pork  8)

beef ribs is the shit

Sikotic™

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 10:09:57 PM »
I'm not here to argue and go back and forth about this because it's been done a million times.

I would just like to say this: I bought 2 packages of thick cut applewood smoked bacon that I intend on eating tomorrow.

Goognight.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

O.G A.Geesta'z

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 11:33:40 PM »
cook your pork well done and you shouldnt have a problem...

im thinking about eating some good pork chops tomorrow
The West is Back

TRG BoyZ

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 12:49:41 AM »

well done porkchops be dry and dry pork be no good. cook it medium well
real niggas know wassup

O.G A.Geesta'z

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 01:13:49 AM »

well done porkchops be dry and dry pork be no good. cook it medium well
real niggas know wassup

nah man i know how to make some juicy ass porkchops my dude
The West is Back

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 07:56:06 AM »
dont eat pork in no third world country.

im on a business trip at the india office, wanted to eat some pork, so got some sangyupsal (korean bacon) n i went through hell for the past 4 days,

caught a flu already (fever, body aches, exhaustion) than i got food poisoning from the pork. i thought i was gonna fucking die here.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.