Author Topic: Death Row Records (Official Update)  (Read 4173 times)

Morphine

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Death Row Records (Official Update)
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 02:46:42 AM »
everyone seems to know what dre is thinking

Will_B

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 03:48:29 AM »
Not a shocker but could mean stuff is handled better next time

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 04:15:19 AM »
D.A.Z needs to buy this!

Will_B

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 04:46:13 AM »
D.A.Z needs to buy this!

LOL imagine! He used to have like 20m in folding lol

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »
def dont want dre to buy it or we will get nothing more in the vaults at all!  they should just drop all the songs the have left individually on itunes so you could buy the ones you wanted, but that wont happen either
Ya we'd be better off with WideAwake than Dre. The only reason Dre would want anything to do with this is to purchase the rights to the Chronic and the other stuff of his released while on Death Row. He doesn't care about what's in the vault, and his material that is in the vault he'd rather leave there because it was not finished or not up to his standards.
That obviously wasn't the case, considering how terrible WIDEawake ran Death Row.  If Dre were to do it, I think he knows that the releases are essentially going to be B-sides and album scraps, but there is clearly a market for them, so it's not as if he needs to be consumed with re-doing the beats until they're perfect at that point.
You misunderstood what I meant by that. Of course WideAwake ran that company terribly. Dre would've just sat on the catalog if he owned it, and he wouldn't have released shit, whereas WideAwake actually did put out some good stuff. They just executed everything very poorly. 

Dre has no interest in Death Row though so let's stop dreaming about it.
I understood what you meant, but I disagreed with what you said about Dre hypothetically not releasing the stuff if he were in control.  That's what I meant.  But I'm a little confused by you saying that WIDEawake "did put out some good stuff" but "executed everything very poorly," as that's a little conflicting, though my assumption is that what you meant was that they did good things by putting out unreleased stuff from people like Snoop and whoever else while also releasing compilations of music from lesser-known Death Row artists, though a lot of the stuff they put out was not what they should have released, at least not initially.

Mixing issues aside, The Lost Sessions Vol. 1 could've been a lot better.  But half of the songs sucked.  Obviously with a lot of the remaining songs being unreleased leftovers, B-sides, etc., we can't exactly expect a true successor to Doggystyle that is classic from start to finish, but that aside, there was still a lot of quality material leftover from EVERYONE.  Had someone else with half of a brain (whether they have prior experience as an executive producer) been in control, they'd know that they have to set the tone and put out your mission statement, so to speak, right off the bat.  I guarantee that if Dre, Snoop, Daz or even someone unaffiliated like 50 Cent or whoever been in charge, they wouldn't have picked those songs to be on Chronic Re-Lit, The Lost Sessions, etc.

But maybe I'm rambling now, haha.  I agree that we're just dreaming about it.  But it's funny how potent the Death Row vaults are but how cursed they are, as everyone who seems to take possession of it paid big money to acquire it, promised big releases, then eventually folded and sold it off for millions less.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 10:17:19 AM »
everyone seems to know what dre is thinking

no kim, we don't

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 06:43:56 PM »
  somebody just put out the unreleased DR. DRE (if anything, becuz thats really what people care about).  And some more Snoop and DPGC (daz, kurupt, rage, x, and pre-97 soopafly) and we're good along with sum Sam Sneed.  And obviously Pac, unless we've heard it and have it all already (bow wow and cpo aswell)

Sccit

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 06:52:33 PM »
this could be big if sold to the right person

MarshColin

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 08:37:02 PM »
def dont want dre to buy it or we will get nothing more in the vaults at all!  they should just drop all the songs the have left individually on itunes so you could buy the ones you wanted, but that wont happen either
Ya we'd be better off with WideAwake than Dre. The only reason Dre would want anything to do with this is to purchase the rights to the Chronic and the other stuff of his released while on Death Row. He doesn't care about what's in the vault, and his material that is in the vault he'd rather leave there because it was not finished or not up to his standards.
That obviously wasn't the case, considering how terrible WIDEawake ran Death Row.  If Dre were to do it, I think he knows that the releases are essentially going to be B-sides and album scraps, but there is clearly a market for them, so it's not as if he needs to be consumed with re-doing the beats until they're perfect at that point.
You misunderstood what I meant by that. Of course WideAwake ran that company terribly. Dre would've just sat on the catalog if he owned it, and he wouldn't have released shit, whereas WideAwake actually did put out some good stuff. They just executed everything very poorly. 

Dre has no interest in Death Row though so let's stop dreaming about it.
I understood what you meant, but I disagreed with what you said about Dre hypothetically not releasing the stuff if he were in control.  That's what I meant.  But I'm a little confused by you saying that WIDEawake "did put out some good stuff" but "executed everything very poorly," as that's a little conflicting, though my assumption is that what you meant was that they did good things by putting out unreleased stuff from people like Snoop and whoever else while also releasing compilations of music from lesser-known Death Row artists, though a lot of the stuff they put out was not what they should have released, at least not initially.

Mixing issues aside, The Lost Sessions Vol. 1 could've been a lot better.  But half of the songs sucked.  Obviously with a lot of the remaining songs being unreleased leftovers, B-sides, etc., we can't exactly expect a true successor to Doggystyle that is classic from start to finish, but that aside, there was still a lot of quality material leftover from EVERYONE.  Had someone else with half of a brain (whether they have prior experience as an executive producer) been in control, they'd know that they have to set the tone and put out your mission statement, so to speak, right off the bat.  I guarantee that if Dre, Snoop, Daz or even someone unaffiliated like 50 Cent or whoever been in charge, they wouldn't have picked those songs to be on Chronic Re-Lit, The Lost Sessions, etc.

But maybe I'm rambling now, haha.  I agree that we're just dreaming about it.  But it's funny how potent the Death Row vaults are but how cursed they are, as everyone who seems to take possession of it paid big money to acquire it, promised big releases, then eventually folded and sold it off for millions less.

What I meant by WideAwake put out some good stuff is that they put out good MUSIC from the vault (LBC Crew for example). What I meant by they executed it poorly was that the mixing was bad, promotion was bad, artwork was bad (at times), the order they released the projects in made little sense business wise, etc.

As for Death Row being "cursed" I don't think that's the case at all. The real problem is the business sense, or lack thereof, of the people in charge. I think the most ideal situation would be if the new company could work out something with Daz to work for them. Daz knows the catalog pretty well from the time he was there, he may possess some of the missing masters, and apparently him and Dre are cool again so there's a potential for something to be worked out with Dre. He also knows that WA was fucking up the mixing big time, so we could see big improvements there. I'll stop dreamin though  ;)

MUHFUKKA

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 08:44:04 PM »
i doubt theres even much good stuff left. seems like the well ran dry real quick. probably a ton of barely started shit though

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

Sccit

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »
i doubt theres even much good stuff left. seems like the well ran dry real quick. probably a ton of barely started shit though

theres a gang of shit left

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »

theres a gang of shit left

yep

even some Dre shit we don't have

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 10:04:26 PM »
As for Death Row being "cursed" I don't think that's the case at all. The real problem is the business sense, or lack thereof, of the people in charge. I think the most ideal situation would be if the new company could work out something with Daz to work for them. Daz knows the catalog pretty well from the time he was there, he may possess some of the missing masters, and apparently him and Dre are cool again so there's a potential for something to be worked out with Dre. He also knows that WA was fucking up the mixing big time, so we could see big improvements there. I'll stop dreamin though  ;)
I didn't literally mean that it was "cursed."  It was just an observation of the last couple of parties involved dropping a ton of money on the material and losing out in the end, having to sell it at a mid/high seven-figure loss, despite sitting on tons of potential that ended up not getting utilized.  From WIDEawake executing things poorly, as you put it (which I agree with), to the previous company just sitting on it and not even releasing a scrap, there's practically no reason why it could've gone that bad.  Even the idiots at Amaru Records who constantly butcher Pac material still manage to get the albums to go gold or so.

Daz would be a good candidate, as long as he doesn't remix anything (unless he gets Mike Dean in the mix and treats it like he did the Makaveli & Dillinger project or if he can take it back to whatever mindset he was in during that time).  Just like you said, I'm sure he has a ton of masters that may not be in their collection (some of which he sold to Afeni), so he can get paid and get credit while re-promoting himself as an artist (which can generate buzz for whatever DPG project he might be working on in the future).  It's not like he's making millions doing something else, like Dre.

That's impossible.  There are a lot of songs that we're aware of and have in mediocre quality that we want to hear.  And then there are albums that we know were at some level of completion (Chronic II, West Coast Aftershock, Eargasm, etc.).  I doubt that there are no unheard songs that bump, considering how hungry yet talented everyone was at that time.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
they have quite a few Dre songs but none are more than 2 verses according to Lari Levi in 2009

DatThrowBaccMuzic

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 10:43:49 PM »
Chronic 2 isn't in the vaults. Anything done after mid '94 by Dre isn't in the vaults. Helter Skelter's not in there. Next Episode's not in there. Mr. Officer's in there. Some other goodies are in there. For those concerned about Dogg Pound stuff.

DAT   Aftershock Ruffs DAT 8/96 Session Tape   Aftershock   Here Hit This (cassette transfer), Champagne Wishes, What You About, Like That, 10 ta Midnight, Life I Lead, Freestyle Instrumental, Freestyle AV, Swiss Groove:w/freestyle,instrumental Swiss Groove 1&2 instrumental, Country Tides AV, Rock In All Minds      PO405250

DAT   Westcoast Aftershock 12/27/95 #1   2Pac   Untitled (Kurupt&Daz,2Pac and others), Jack Move, Untitled newbeat      PO389659

DAT   Tha Dogg Pound 4/1/98 safety copy   Tha Dogg Pound   Don't Stop (Keep Going), Every Single Day, What the People Say      PO776604   45   5

DAT   Aftershock P-3686-DAT 2 safety copy 8/1/96   Aftershock   Here Hit This, Lifeilead, Mental, 10 Ta Midnight, Like That y'all, What'cha about, That's My      PO776603   45   5

Dogg Pound Work DAT West Coast Aftershock 8/10/96   Tha Dogg Pound   Don't Stop Keep Goin, Dogg Pound Criminals, Me & My World, Beverly Blvd 7pm (live street sounds)      PO778864   45   2

DAT   Westcoast Aftershock 12/27/95 #1   2Pac   Untitled (Kurupt&Daz,2Pac and others), Jack Move, Untitled newbeat      PO389659