Author Topic: Death Row Records (Official Update)  (Read 4176 times)

MarshColin

Re: Death Row Records (Official Update)
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2012, 07:37:06 PM »
"Hot One" was only a bonus on the cassette of Murder Was The Case.

There's a Doggystyle Xmas edition too for those of you who didn't know:
http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=861928

Macdaddy_93

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2012, 04:24:54 AM »

I have that too..

"Now i'm the mack daddy, had he, not known about the city where I'm from, dum diddy dum"

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
WIDEawake didn't do such a bad job on the first two releases, minus John Payne's shitty mixes, the tracks they picked. Lara and Payne both fucked it up. Egos and inner fighting ruined that shit. And John Payne's spending 10 K - 20 K a month.

When I attempted to get up there. I brought them Darren Vegas, RBX, Chris The Glove, Colin Wolfe, Mark Morrison, Hoopla Media (Believe it or not), Jim Gittum, K9, Warlord, and more. Could've brought Danny Boy, Crooked I, Snoop, RC, Daz, Kurupt, and hell even Dre via D.O.C. to the table. They had the money to finance. If I was an adviser to DRR right now, I'd say financially, give Dre his masters for The Chronic and allow him to re-distribute it through Interscope but it's still got to have Death Row Records on the back and they split money on the licensing. In exchange, what the new DRR gets is one album of unreleased Dr. Dre and (if I was Dr. Dre - I'd say, let's put out a Detox boxset - it's now or never for that album - really. One Chronic, One 2001, One Detox CD/DVD, One WIDEawake CD. That's hoping for too much though.) I've heard a good bit of unreleased DRR Dr. Dre. It's not bad. It's cool. It'd be a good start if they promoted right and got Dre to pump it up for the release. That must be in agreement too. Also re-sign artists like Petey Pablo, Lake, etc. Just because they got dropped six years ago doesn't mean you can't run with them now. Hell, 2 Chainz is 42 and his music is still bumping.
interesting that you've heard most of the unreleased dre audio from death row. did you hear mr. officer?

there's not really a future for death row, besides reissuing their best selling albums

This is true.  If we're honest, the only people who were checking for WIDEawake's releases were people like us who are hardcore DR fans and want to hear everything that was recorded on the label in its heyday.  The average casual rap fan most likely never even heard of the company, and even if they did, they wouldn't have cared for the CDs that came out.

The new owners of DR, whoever that may be, should focus on doing 20th anniversary editions of their big albums, seeing as in the next few years most of the DR albums will be 20 years old.  They should remaster the recordings where necessary and reissue them with a second CD containing leftover material from the album's recording session, remixes and videos where necessary, and perhaps more inside the CD booklet containing information about the album and its impact.

It would have been interesting to see what direction Snoop Dogg would have taken the company...

yeah the chronic re-lit was the best selling album from wideawake.

Will_B

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »

I have that too..

That arrangements actually what all current pressings of Doggystyle are based on (13 tracks, no G'z Up Hoes Down)

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »
such a shame Gz up hoes down is not known by 95% of people who own the Doggystyle album

for real none of my friends who owned the CD in high school or college knew G'z up when i'd play it for them and they'd be like "damn why was this left off?" and i would be like thats not the half, they left off a collbo with Dr. Dre lol

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2012, 04:44:25 PM »
there's not really a future for death row, besides reissuing their best selling albums
This is true.  If we're honest, the only people who were checking for WIDEawake's releases were people like us who are hardcore DR fans and want to hear everything that was recorded on the label in its heyday.  The average casual rap fan most likely never even heard of the company, and even if they did, they wouldn't have cared for the CDs that came out.

The new owners of DR, whoever that may be, should focus on doing 20th anniversary editions of their big albums, seeing as in the next few years most of the DR albums will be 20 years old.  They should remaster the recordings where necessary and reissue them with a second CD containing leftover material from the album's recording session, remixes and videos where necessary, and perhaps more inside the CD booklet containing information about the album and its impact.

It would have been interesting to see what direction Snoop Dogg would have taken the company...
yeah the chronic re-lit was the best selling album from wideawake.
But that's not saying much though.  Yes, it is shameful that a re-release of a nearly 20 year-old album (which has alreadly been re-released in the past) outsells their releases of previously unreleased music, but it's not like they moved a million units of it.

I agree about the other part regarding how their best bet is to re-release stuff and pair it with several bonus songs that otherwise would never have seen the light of day or stand by themselves as its own release.  It's easy to do with the bigger names of previous Death Row artists who had already put out material that did well (i.e. Dre, Snoop, Dogg Pound), but it's hard to do with the lesser-known people, unless they're artists who appeared on other compilations... which actually isn't a bad idea either.  A re-release of Above the Rim (with more stuff from Rage, Jewell, O.F.T.B., etc. or even another disc with what was left off combined with other unreleased stuff), Murder Was the Case (with more stuff from LBC Crew, Sam Sneed, etc.) and then maybe some of their later soundtracks like Gridlock'd and Gang Related (which should include artists who have a ton of stuff since that's when almost everyone with Death Row was really recording a lot of material).  Even a re-release of later stuff could do that.

Sccit

« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2012, 05:40:21 PM »
such a shame Gz up hoes down is not known by 95% of people who own the Doggystyle album

for real none of my friends who owned the CD in high school or college knew G'z up when i'd play it for them and they'd be like "damn why was this left off?" and i would be like thats not the half, they left off a collbo with Dr. Dre lol

the original pressing had "g'z up hoes down"

Will_B

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2012, 11:26:55 AM »

the original pressing had "g'z up hoes down"

That's what we're talkin bout fam

Macdaddy_93

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »
Got that too..

"Now i'm the mack daddy, had he, not known about the city where I'm from, dum diddy dum"

makavelisimon

• 'G'
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2012, 02:39:13 PM »
lol at Suke Knight typo, someone was a retard.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2012, 02:41:57 PM »
lol at Suke Knight typo, someone was a retard.

someone def got they ass beat for that!