Author Topic: Reasonable Doubt is easily Jay-Z's best album. Anyone disagree?  (Read 3430 times)

jeromechickenbone

Re: Reasonable Doubt is easily Jay-Z's best album. Anyone disagree?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »
Reasonable Doubt is the "RAW" all his other albums are "RE-POP"......

what makes it the most "raw"?  becuz of the cliche nostalgia that Generation X tags to literally every rapper who started in the 90's Debut?  Or did Jay somehow never match the so-called lyricism and beats since then?  Becuz there's 1000000 reasons why Reasonable Doubt isnt his best and why its just the taggalong thing to say for ppl who like Jay but never really listen to his music like that
i agree. it's the safe choice for those who haven't heard 'em all. LOL

Exactly.  As soon as somebody says Reasonable Doubt is Jay's best work i have to automatically question their depth of knowledge of the Jiggaman

Every time you post I question your knowledge on life.

You're one of those cats that's butthurt cuz you came up on wack ass music but have to tell yourself it's tight. I actually purchased jiggamans first 6 albums the year they came out. I was in the landscape and understood the context of those albums in a contemporary fashion. I was listening to hip hop at the time some of the all time classics were dropping.

You on the other hand prolly heard reasonable doubt about 13 years after it dropped. There's nothing wrong with that, and props for checking it out. But you're talking way over your head and completely clueless to what you're talking about. You're one of those proud ignorant people who stays losing because you haven't learned to be humble.

90's hiphop>>>>>>>2012 hip hop. U mad?

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 06:17:18 PM »
wow, wat a pussy. 

i too actually had all of Jigga's album (brought from FYE) when he was on his come up, so I've literally grown up listening to Jay since 97' (wow right).  your age doesnt give u rank Aunt Flo so chill with all of that noise.  I used to argue with my friends at the time (during that era) about who had the better crew between RocAFella, Cash Money, and Ruff Ryders so i whole heartedly reject your deposit. 

and im actually very humble, u just mad becuz u cant articulate your views on HOW Reasonable Doubt is Jay's best album verses me giving u all of the reasons why its not

BIGWORM

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 10:45:03 PM »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 06:56:07 AM »
so that ONE song makes every other Jay song since then subpar?  gtfoh!

BIGWORM

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 11:55:26 AM »
so then you have no actual real basis for your claim

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 04:07:26 PM »

BIGWORM

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 07:11:51 PM »

Sikotic™

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 08:56:25 PM »
there's only 2-3 tracks I like on Reasonable Doubt. That being said, it is his best album lol.

Brian, find a internet cafe in Ghana and drop a lil knowledge about Jigga, por favor. I got your back on this one.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
the blue print is his best album.

Yeah to me it's blueprint as well, to me the album as a whole just flows better, with vintage production from Bink!, Kanye and Blaze, and tracks like "Song Cry", "Heart of the City" and "Never Change" showing Jigga at his best, displaying a level of depth not really seen on "Reasonable Doubt" in my opinion. Technically "Reasonable Doubt" is probably his best and it definitely has that vintage hip hop feel to it, but I was never a big fan of the Mafioso era of hip hop. "D'Evils" is one of my top 5 Jay tracks though.

Jay has a pretty deep catalogue, I could make an argument for "Blueprint", "Black Album" Reasonable Doubt" or "Volume 1" for his best album.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »
Yeah I would have to go with his first album as well. Definitely as good or more superior singles on other albums but as a whole I go with RD.

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 03:24:52 AM »
I agree it's a default answer for people to say Reasonable Doubt is his best. He undoubtedly got better as time went on.

And for the person who said Jay dropped got singles but his albums never matched - you couldn't be farther from the truth. Jay has probably the deepest catalogue in hip hop in terms of both quantity and quality.

teecee

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 11:17:59 AM »
Those of us old enough to remember know that RD wasn't loved by fans or critics at the time.  It was a dope album, with some absolute classic songs.  However, a wack single (Aint No Nigga) and the fact that Jay was more piggy-backing Raekwon and Nas, meant That the album offered little in the way of originality.

Great album, but the masses didn't think of it as classic until Jay basically started the campaign himself once Hard knock Life dropped. 

For the record, my two favorite Jay albums are Blueprint and TBA.

Jay was sharper lyrically on RD, but concept
Wise those two albums to me are better. Blueprint, with the soul samples
 Changed the game. 

Blood$

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 11:49:46 AM »
The Blueprint
Reasonable Doubt
The Black Album

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »
the fact that Jay was more piggy-backing Raekwon and Nas, meant That the album offered little in the way of originality.

Respectfully disagree there. The gangsta element Rae and Nas had already capitalized on, no doubt.

I thought this brought more of a gangster point of view to the NY rap scene. Instead of running in niggas cribs with a mac 10 for a robbery, I thought he did a good job at articulating the stress and paranoia, vulnerability if you will that was missing from previous mafioso rap in the early nineties.

Cuban Linx and It Was Written were like two giant circuses filled with violence and grit, while Reasonable Doubt, in my opinion felt like an intimate conversation with a gangster somewhere at the top, looking back at the subject matter in Nas and Rae's worlds.

I'm not saying Reasonable Doubt was a better effort than the other two albums, but to me it is creatively different than them.