Author Topic: BBC: The Brits are proposing a ban on kitchen knives!  (Read 1729 times)

jeromechickenbone

BBC: The Brits are proposing a ban on kitchen knives!
« on: December 29, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.

A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

The research is published in the British Medical Journal.

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.

They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.

None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.

The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs.

Kitchen knives can inflict appalling wounds
In contrast, a pointed long blade pierces the body like "cutting into a ripe melon".

The use of knives is particularly worrying amongst adolescents, say the researchers, reporting that 24% of 16-year-olds have been shown to carry weapons, primarily knives.

The study found links between easy access to domestic knives and violent assault are long established.

French laws in the 17th century decreed that the tips of table and street knives be ground smooth.

A century later, forks and blunt-ended table knives were introduced in the UK in an effort to reduce injuries during arguments in public eating houses.

The researchers say legislation to ban the sale of long pointed knives would be a key step in the fight against violent crime.

"The Home Office is looking for ways to reduce knife crime.

"We suggest that banning the sale of long pointed knives is a sensible and practical measure that would have this effect."

Government response

Home Office spokesperson said there were already extensive restrictions in place to control the sale and possession of knives.

"The law already prohibits the possession of offensive weapons in a public place, and the possession of knives in public without good reason or lawful authority, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding three inches.

"Offensive weapons are defined as any weapon designed or adapted to cause injury, or intended by the person possessing them to do so.

"An individual has to demonstrate that he had good reason to possess a knife, for example for fishing, other sporting purposes or as part of his profession (e.g. a chef) in a public place.

"The manufacture, sale and importation of 17 bladed, pointed and other offensive weapons have been banned, in addition to flick knives and gravity knives."

A spokesperson for the Association of Chief Police Officers said: "ACPO supports any move to reduce the number of knife related incidents, however, it is important to consider the practicalities of enforcing such changes."

J. B A N A N A S

Re: BBC: The Brits are proposing a ban on kitchen knives!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »
I admit I skimmed over the article pretty quickly, and that I am high on opiates, but am I missing some kind of satire here?

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:32:12 PM »
I admit I skimmed over the article pretty quickly, and that I am high on opiates, but am I missing some kind of satire here?

Nope you're on point, no joke...the joke is on the Brits though. I wonder what they'll ban next...I'm gonna stay in the kitchen and say forks. From now on, Brits eat everything with a spoon. And a straw, you can have a straw. But it's gotta be 3 inches (or whatever 6.6cm) or less. Wouldn't want you to get malicious with that shit.

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »
Dumbasses. If they REALLY wanted to solve problems, they would ban hands. You cant stab or shoot a gun without hands.......unless you're really clever.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 04:42:26 PM »
so how are they going to cut up their steaks or lambchops?

Sikotic™

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 04:42:31 PM »

Nope you're on point, no joke...the joke is on the Brits though. I wonder what they'll ban next...I'm gonna stay in the kitchen and say forks. From now on, Brits eat everything with a spoon. And a straw, you can have a straw. But it's gotta be 3 inches (or whatever 6.6cm) or less. Wouldn't want you to get malicious with that shit.
because you cant do any damage to vital organs with a 3 inch knife lol. Silly yuros.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 04:44:29 PM »

because you cant do any damage to vital organs with a 3 inch knife lol. Silly yuros.

next we need to ban civilians driving cars and anyone who is not a licensed handman to have access to a chainsaw, regular saw or hammer.  oh and nobody can use matches or ligthers to start fires so forget about your ciggs and weed!

THEN THE WORLD IS SAFE, RIGHT?

levamisole

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 04:52:18 PM »
I kinda doubt "A team from West Middlesex University Hospital" has much political power. They are venting because they are tired of having to deal with the consequences, I get it, but this is some slow news day shit.

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »
Not really. There is a serious worldwide problem where people are conditioned to feel like its okay for the government to play babysitter.

next we need to ban civilians driving cars and anyone who is not a licensed handman to have access to a chainsaw, regular saw or hammer.  oh and nobody can use matches or ligthers to start fires so forget about your ciggs and weed!

THEN THE WORLD IS SAFE, RIGHT?
But then people wouldn't be able to cut their food properly without knives and sharp objects and choking deaths would go up significantly. Which would lead to a logical ban of all solid foods.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 08:26:46 AM »

Lmao you crazy conspiracy theorists,violent  crime doesn't exist, so why the need for anything sharp? that might hurt people ,allowing people to get their hands on something legally could lead to deaths. Lol we don't want to be paranoid like you americans and even if someone does come into my home there is no call for violence if you reason with the guy he can politely take your stuff while you make him a cup of tea. If you don't have anything in your home which could cause harm to him then he won't bring anything that could harm you.

Crazy conspiracy theorists, we should ban cricket bats, baseball bats, knives, metals, anything really.

Crazy americans and your nutty ideas about defending yourself, remember to avert violence make the disenfranchised fella or group of people a cup of tea while they politely and thoughtfully take what is yours.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 06:55:35 AM »
OG Will is noticeably absent from this thread. Where are you Will? Are you happy that your country has (or is about to) outlawed guns and knives? There will be no more violence in your country now! Man you are lucky to live in such a civilized place.

Will, what do you think they should ban next to keep you and your fellow countrymen safe? Please enlighten us knuckle dragging Ameros.

frisch213

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 07:18:58 AM »
Or the Brits could legalize the ownership of guns, watch massacres occur and tehn wonder why it happened?

Will_B

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 07:20:56 AM »
Or the Brits could legalize the ownership of guns, watch massacres occur and tehn wonder why it happened?

Then go up in arms at the government when they try and 'take them back' ;D

Whats a few kids dying anyway huh Jrome?

MistaNova

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 07:44:48 AM »
OMG they're so civilized. In my country we're still so primitive that we have to use kitchen knives to do something called eating.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 07:47:12 AM by Iveus »

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 09:00:42 AM »

Then go up in arms at the government when they try and 'take them back' ;D

Whats a few kids dying anyway huh Jrome?

How do you feel about a knife ban willy?

Murder is illegal willy, why does it still happen?