Author Topic: 20 Things You Didn’t Know About Death Row Records 1 0f 4  (Read 1747 times)

aerroc

20 Things You Didn’t Know About Death Row Records 1 0f 4
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:54:24 PM »
20 Years ago, Suge Knight and Dr Dre launched their now legendary record label Death Row Records. Under Suge’s feared reputation and iron-fist, Death Row was able to establish itself as one of the most formidable and profitable labels in the history of music.

Multiple Platinum albums, Grammy Awards, # 1 songs, and the constant fear element that surrounded the label effectively placed Knight and the burgeoning, multimillion dollar Death Row enterprise on the very tip of the hip hop music mountain. Although Death Row has been defunct for over a decade, the everlasting legacy still continues . We reflect on 20 facts about Death Row records you may have not known.

Death Row affiliate, and Compton rapper DJ Quik was once considered a suspect in the murder of the Notorious B.I.G. Quik and his crew known as the ‘Tree Top Pirus’ were present at the Automotive Peterson Museum the night Biggie Smalls was killed. (Read: DJ Quik Speaks on the LAPD naming him a suspect)http://www.bet.com/news/music/2011/05/02/dj-quik-says-lapd-suspected-him-in-notorious-b-i-g-murder.html

Reggie Wright Jr, the head of security for Death Row Records was the son of Compton Police Chief Reggie Wright Sr. Many believe this was a tactical move by Suge Knight to stay one step ahead of the Police.

David Kenner, the infamous lawyer and close confidant of Suge Knight has long been rumored to have ties with the legendary Genovese Crime Family of New York City. But according to former LAPD Detective David Peterson, Suge Knight couldn’t care less and didn’t know who they were.

The seeds of the East Coast vs West Coast beef were planted down South, when Anthony ‘Wolf Jones’, Puff Daddy’s one time best friend allegedly killed Suge Knight’s close confidant ‘Jake Robles’ in an Atlanta nightclub in 1995. That incident triggered the Death Row vs Bad Boy Beef. Ironically, Anthony ‘Wolf Jones’ was killed in 2003 in an Atlanta nightclub himself. Suge Knight’s friend, Big Meech and The BMF were investigated for the crime, but Police couldn’t find any witnesses to testify and the case was eventually dropped.

Gina Longo was the first and only White artist ever signed to Death Row Records. Coincidentally or not, she was also the daughter of the same Los Angeles Prosecutor who was investigating Suge Knight for assault charges. The Prosecutor, Larry Longo, eventually dropped the charges after his daughter secured a recording contract with Death Row.

Dr Dre, who owned 50% of Death Row Records, received no royalty, publishing, or money when he left the label in 1995. Dre was reportedly entitled to earn over $60 million from the split. When asked if he was upset about not receiving any residuals, Dre famously said ‘You can’t put a price on a peaceful state of mind’.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GY0I6qTxFns&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GY0I6qTxFns&amp;feature=related</a>
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:01:49 PM by aerroc »

dnjp4life

Re: 20 Things You Didn’t Know About Death Row Records 1 0f 4
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 02:58:01 AM »
Some interesting facts that I never knew of.  Seems like Suge was like a mafia don, paying off who he wanted.  Looking forward to the next lot.

123imagee

levamisole

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:31:30 AM »
Most people here will know most of these things. Pretty good article anyway though.

BigNeckBone

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Drama means nothing, it's part of tha game
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »
Good read, +1
<a href="http://gifmaker.me/PlayGIFAnimation.php?folder=2014022200kVp8nskXeGtIEO10TEVk7U&amp;file=output_XhDD0f.gif" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://gifmaker.me/PlayGIFAnimation.php?folder=2014022200kVp8nskXeGtIEO10TEVk7U&amp;file=output_XhDD0f.gif</a>

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »
all this is shit everyone knows though.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

iDontTrip

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:41:57 PM »

Dr Dre, who owned 50% of Death Row Records, received no royalty, publishing, or money when he left the label in 1995. Dre was reportedly entitled to earn over $60 million from the split. When asked if he was upset about not receiving any residuals, Dre famously said ‘You can’t put a price on a peaceful state of mind’.

so dre would rather let 60 million go then to deal wit suge??? lmao  :o  8)
opinion
   [uh-pin-yuhn]
noun
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 02:15:40 PM »

coward shit. LOL
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »

real shit!

but ive heard from dr. dre himself in that over played repeated interview of him on VH1 that he did leave with money just not what he was supposed to.

JML-G

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:48:25 PM »
good read, didnt know allot of these

sms130

• 'G'
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »

We all know this in part wasn't true. Yeah, he didn't recieve royalties (which is why Dre sued Death Row in part), he does own his publishing (which is why whoever owns Death Row will have to get his permission to release any previously unreleased material by Dre from their vault, as part of the deal when he left back in 1996), and he did leave with money. It just wasn't the amount he was supposed to leave with and that was in part why he went to Jimmy to help him with forming Aftermath. They don't even have the right year when Dre left Death Row. 1995? Really? SMH!! LOL!

Blasphemy (A)

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 10:52:34 PM »

We all know this in part wasn't true. Yeah, he didn't recieve royalties (which is why Dre sued Death Row in part), he does own his publishing (which is why whoever owns Death Row will have to get his permission to release any previously unreleased material by Dre from their vault, as part of the deal when he left back in 1996), and he did leave with money. It just wasn't the amount he was supposed to leave with and that was in part why he went to Jimmy to help him with forming Aftermath. They don't even have the right year when Dre left Death Row. 1995? Really? SMH!! LOL!

Also the Eastcoast westcoast feud didn't start with that shooting, it started when Tim Dogg started hating and released Fuck Compton.Eastcoast started it westcoast dominated it, and in the end West and East been having troubles since the rise of the south and they haven't lost their grip because they make selll out music, have fake as hell motherfuckers, and don't cause any issues that you see with Eastcoast/Westcoast artist.

sms130

• 'G'
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:17:18 AM »

Also the Eastcoast westcoast feud didn't start with that shooting, it started when Tim Dogg started hating and released Fuck Compton.Eastcoast started it westcoast dominated it, and in the end West and East been having troubles since the rise of the south and they haven't lost their grip because they make selll out music, have fake as hell motherfuckers, and don't cause any issues that you see with Eastcoast/Westcoast artist.
Yep! It was simply just build as time went along. Even The Source Awards back in 1994, you can tell tention was building (for those who have the best of The Source Awards, check out the clip with Daz from 1994 while accepting I think Dr. Dre's award or something)

Native American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 2o11
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 09:22:16 PM »
LOL Peeps still discuss the row ?
EVERY LAST ONE OF ''Y-O-U'' BELIEVE THAT DR. DRE HAS MADE THESE SONG's FOR ''Y-O-U''.
THE REALITY IS THAT THE SONG's ARE ''ABOUT Y-O-U'' !!!!!!

Blasphemy (A)

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 10:37:21 PM »
Interesting like you hating on the South now huh ? Sell out music huh, the west makes plenty .
Didn't Wayne just say he hated NY and we the "SOUTH" had as many problems if not more than California .
Calm your bitch ass down

1. I'm not hating on the South. I like some of their artist, but lets be real here, Their music is designed for Radio Play to the fullest. No aggressive Lyrics, Songs are utilized for radio play like hell, no complex lyrics, avoidance of serious topics, simplistic lyrics and topics it's radio friendly for the fullest.

2.The Westcoast G-Funk was the only reason Rap started to go Mainstream the Sound was polished, Funky, and smooth. However not all G-Funk Records were Let Me Ride or Nuthin but a G Thang some were hard hitting, and majority of these artist were blunt, critical, and up front about The Establishment, Hood Life, and other ills of Society. Almost every westcoast artist talks about the hood, while all I hear in the South (that's not the underground) is I got this I got that,  Big Money, Swag, Blah blah blah blah. None of their Production bumps hard in any soundsystem, because it's all geared towards Clubs, it's estrogen filled faggotry. The West remains underground because they don't stop talking about hood shit, Unlike Eastcoast rappers staying on Mafiaso dick and Southern rappers talking about how rich they are, Westcoast rappers at the very least keep the subject matter some what realistic (For the most part)

3. What does Wayne hating NY have to do with this? HIm hating doesn't mean they are successful it just means he' a hater, People still hate The Westside because out here rappers been getting robbed, Shot at, Refusing to buy into the bullshit machine, They hated the West for it's success and they hate it even if it's not doing anything big right now. The best part is they hated the west but still rip off the west. They took notice of the West Style, copied it and then started dissing us with it.  Magazines, MTV, BET, anything that covered rap has always had a slant against the west because it's not New York. Classic Albums didn't receive their just due back in the day. It's around the 2000s, that people realize quality rap doesn't just come out the east.

4. I'm not talking about The South in terms of Crime, Poverty and other Ills I'm talking about southern rappers avoiding the problems westcoast rappers have become known for. Southern Rappers avoid controversy like the plague. The Industry doesn't like Street shit in the business anymore since Death Row, Southern rappers the biggest names are fake as hell.  Southern rappers aren't getting into brawls, shootings, major feuds, smaller feuds, studio gangsters to the fullest in every respect. The worse you hear is they trashed a motel that's some Lindsey Lohan level type of shit, but in their interviews they are Gangster, Affiliated, fake ass OGS, but their music reflects jackshit. Westcoast Artist are the oppisite, their lyrics tell the tell of Gangsterism and street problems but in the interviews they always made the clear distinction between the music and who they actually were.

The south today is nothing but CB4 to the fullest.