Author Topic: 2Pacalypse Now....  (Read 1661 times)

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
2Pacalypse Now....
« on: February 28, 2003, 11:34:38 PM »
Though Pac was known for his later work, all the things that made him arguably the greatest MC ever were already in place on this powerful debut album. This is arguably his most articulate and politically aware album to date. Its not his best all around album, but it showed he was gonna be a force to reckon with, which would later be seen when he would go on to become the greatest selling hip hop artist in the history of the genre. He captured the attention of rap fans everywhere with the singles Trapped, and Brendas Got A Baby. Who was this young, ahead-of-his-time MC, with these deep lyrics and charisma?? Those two songs, along with the LP, are what introduced him to the world. The album has very old school production on it, but its not bad production by any means. Its how all the albums of the time sounded, whether it was the Geto Boys, PE, or Ice Cube. 2Pacalypse Now is a very underrated album in his catalog. There are many classic songs which represent Pac at his finest, even to this day. Such songs include the extradorinary "Words of Wisdom", one of the most intelligent and uplifting political rap tracks ever. Other songs touch on police brutality, such as the 6 minute "Violent"........he also displayed a talent for storytelling, as seen in Souljaz Story, and in perhaps one of the most descriptive songs ever written, "Brendas Got A Baby". Brendas Got is an all time classic, and one of the finest songs he ever wrote. There are other standout tracks too, like If My Homie Calls, an ode to friendship and loyalty. Another great song is the Stevie Wonder sampled "Part Time Mutha"....a beautifully written song. Overall, I like this album even more than Strictly 4 My Niggaz and Thug Life, and more than many of his post-humous releases. Song descriptions/ratings:

1. Young Black Male - This showcases Pac rap at breakneck pace [almost a Bone-type flow]. The song is of course, self-explanatory.....a song about the life of young black youth in america.....dope song overall.....4/5

2. Trapped - An all-time Tupac classic, with introspective lyrics and a catchy beat. Shock G sings the stand out chorus "naw, they cant keep the black man down".......this is the first song which Pac TRUELY became known [though some people think it was Same Song].......5/5

3. Souljaz Story - Great story song about a young man trying to rescue his incarcerated older brother. Tight slow production, with two nice verses [one with Pac on a voice changer].....4.5/5

4. I Dont Give A Fuck - Angry song against racism....especially rednecks. This song tells the harsh reality for young black males in urban america, and the troubles they face on a day to day basis.....song is 12 years old, but remains true to this day. Shows how much Pac was ahead of his time. Keep in mind, he wrote this at 18 or so......4.5/5

5. Violent - an epic song about police brutality. He tells the story of him and a friend pulled over by cops, and shit goes seriously wrong.....HUGE bass in this song too.....classic. 5/5

6. Words Of Wisdom - Another intellectual song describing the hypocritical ways of America and the racism it produces.....Pac FLOWS in this song.......5/5

7. Something Wicked - This is a more hardcore song, with cliche subject matter and bland production. Not one of the albums stronger songs. Its listenable, but not a great song......2.5/5

8. Crooked Ass Nigga - Another cliche boring song, with a NWA sample. Typical hardcore song of the time, and it doesnt have the introspect or intelligence of the other songs on this album...I skip this one too....3/5

9. If My Homie Calls - Another great song......this one is for the homies and those loyal to you.....great production too, nice piano loop.....Pac flows beautifully....5/5

10. Brendas Got A Baby - Quite simply, one of the greatest hip hop songs ever. This is still probably one of Pac's top 5......everytime I hear this song, I get chills down my spine. The lyrics are very disturbing and graphic, and even moreso because they are all too REAL.......5/5

11. The Lunatic - This song is ok....its another hardcore song, but its better than Crooked ass Nigga or something Wicked......still not one of the better songs on the album though.....3.5/5

12. Rebel Of The Underground - Good song here....just a song about him coming up and MC'ing.....the production is kinda plain though....4/5

13. Part Time Mutha - Finishes the album off on a high note. A great song about a young women abandoned by her mother who favors her husband instead.....she is left alone to raise a baby, no help. Dont know who the female vocalist his, but she drops a nice verse. Pac's first verse is sweet too.....contains a sample of Stevie's "Part Time Lover".....5/5

Overall, this powerful album is a MUST have in any 2Pac collection, and any hip hop fan in general will enjoy this album.....Despite some flaws, this is a very underrated album......

4.25/5

check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Hack Wilson - real

Re: 2Pacalypse Now....
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 05:54:34 PM »
how the hell is Crooked Ass Nigga a boring song?

i dislike your review of that song, but i defend to the death your right to say it.

2euce 7even

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
how the hell is Crooked Ass Nigga a boring song?

i dislike your review of that song, but i defend to the death your right to say it.

Blasphemy (A)

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 05:26:22 PM »
please tell me I'm not the only one laughing at this guys review and thinking fuck he's a wigger at the same. :laugh:

Hood Crawler

• 'G'
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 11:20:36 PM »
Not sure this review is accurate, and based on the 91 release? But my opinion is this album is sick. Totally relatable and not as crisp as his others but well done.