Author Topic: HIP-HOP: Beyond Beats and Rhymes (Documentary)  (Read 988 times)

Fraxxx

HIP-HOP: Beyond Beats and Rhymes (Documentary)
« on: January 17, 2013, 05:19:48 AM »
Just watched this and found it to be pretty interesting. Chuck D is still unfuckwitable. 8)

"Sparking dialogue on hip-hop and its declarations on gender, HIP-HOP: Beyond Beats and Rhymes provides thoughtful insight from intelligent, divergent voices including rap artists, industry executives, rap fans and social critics from inside and outside the hip-hop generation. The film includes interviews with famous rappers such as Mos Def, Fat Joe, Chuck D and Jadakiss and hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons; along with commentary from Michael Eric Dyson, Beverly Guy-Sheftall, Kevin Powell and Sarah Jones and interviews with young women at Spelman College, a historically black school and one of the nation’s leading liberal arts institutions.

The film also explores such pressing issues as women and violence in rap music, representations of manhood in hip-hop culture, what today’s rap lyrics reveal to their listeners and homoeroticism in hip-hop. A “loving critique” from a self-proclaimed “hip-hop head,” HIP-HOP: Beyond Beats and Rhymes discloses the complex intersection of culture, commerce and gender through on-the-street interviews with aspiring rappers and fans at hip-hop events throughout the country."
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: HIP-HOP: Beyond Beats and Rhymes (Documentary)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:05:25 PM »
Looks dope, I'm going to check this out in a few days
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »
I watched some of it... thought it was wack, because the discussion was mostly about wack hip-hop fans, it wasn't on some real hip-hop documentary tip.  
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:27:15 PM »
I'd like to see a documentary on Hip-Hop and the 5 Percenters. I will watch this one soon.

I brought in Dr. Ebony Utley to my college last week, the work she has done connecting Hip-Hop and Religion is just amazing. And the crazy thing is she is only 32 years old. But man, she knows her stuff.

Fraxxx

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:24:45 AM »
I watched some of it... thought it was wack, because the discussion was mostly about wack hip-hop fans, it wasn't on some real hip-hop documentary tip.  

I don't even know what you mean by that. The thing touches exactly on the subjects it says in the text. Did you at least manage to get through the first 5 minutes?  :grumpy:

Fraxxx

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:30:51 AM »
I'd like to see a documentary on Hip-Hop and the 5 Percenters. I will watch this one soon.

I brought in Dr. Ebony Utley to my college last week, the work she has done connecting Hip-Hop and Religion is just amazing. And the crazy thing is she is only 32 years old. But man, she knows her stuff.

Don't give up as quick as Brian. In the second half 50 Cent IS presenting his chest! ;)

As for Ebony Utley, I'm reading an interview she did right now.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 02:13:41 PM »

I'd be interested in that.  You have any links to her work?

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »

I don't even know what you mean by that. The thing touches exactly on the subjects it says in the text. Did you at least manage to get through the first 5 minutes?  :grumpy:

Yeah, I got through about 20 to 30 minutes of it.  I wasn't really impressed with the guy who was doing the documentary.  It seemed very pretentious and I'm not into the whole "I had fun at college parties and listening to hip-hop but now that I've finished my degree and I'm trying to get acceptance in the business and academic world I'm going to start wearing a suit and tie and talking bad about rap music".

Fraxxx

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 02:23:23 PM »

Yeah, I got through about 20 to 30 minutes of it.  I wasn't really impressed with the guy who was doing the documentary.  It seemed very pretentious and I'm not into the whole "I had fun at college parties and listening to hip-hop but now that I've finished my degree and I'm trying to get acceptance in the business and academic world I'm going to start wearing a suit and tie and talking bad about rap music".

Yeah, cuz that's exactly what he was doing...

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:37:59 PM »

It was.. and like the girl who said she was a recovering rap-aholic or something like that?  How rap had abused her and kept her in a circle.   Bro... like I said, I don't really care to watch a long documentary on how rap has damaged the life of wack rap fans. 

Fraxxx

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 02:35:27 AM »

It was.. and like the girl who said she was a recovering rap-aholic or something like that?  How rap had abused her and kept her in a circle.   Bro... like I said, I don't really care to watch a long documentary on how rap has damaged the life of wack rap fans.  

You mean the girl who said something for about TEN seconds? You wanna tell me you watched 30 minutes of this? Either you're lying or you're stupid since you're so missing the point here. Whatever, it's EXACTLY what it said in the text, a critical analysis of different aspects of the culture. If you expected stanism, that's your fault.

Edit: Fuck, don't you ever question why you are so butthurt about shit like this. Last time it was someone critisizing Cube in a very appropriate fashion - same childish reaction.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:44:08 AM by Fraxxx »

Sami

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 07:57:43 PM »
Did anyone notice that Jadakiss was drunk for the whole interview?

He was completely drunk or impaired.

Sami

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »
But yeah, great documentary on how Hip-Hop has been subverted by the power structure.

The Overfiend

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 01:31:20 AM »
I'd like to see a documentary on Hip-Hop and the 5 Percenters.

RZA's book the The Tao of Wu gives a good illustration of that whole combination.

Fraxxx

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 01:23:37 AM »
But yeah, great documentary on how Hip-Hop has been subverted by the power structure.

And the role of consumers and artists when they subdue to that power structure and act accordingly.