Author Topic: Game Says Dr. Dre Will "Never" Release "Detox"  (Read 2616 times)

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

Re: Game Says Dr. Dre Will "Never" Release "Detox"
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2013, 03:56:43 AM »
That's what i thought so too.

yall thought wrong, mixing is a whole lot more than that..

iīm curious, whatīs mixing in your opinion ?

from experience, mixing the beat consists of bringing in certain instruments at certain points, deciding when the beat drops or when to fade out the drums, creating a build up to chorus etc...basically, structuring the beat to perfection, and then adding your own touches to complete it.

mixing vocals would be adding effects in ceratin areas, reverb where needed, punch-ins, ad-libs, all that stuff....it's a lot more than just "making sure the levels sound good", even though that is a part of it. mixing is one of the hardest aspects of making a song.. a good mix and a bad mix can be the difference between garbage and a classic.

I have to say, if thatīs your understanding of what mixing music is, then your music obviously must suffer from a lot of mixing mistakes since you clearly donīt know what mixing is. You begin your post by explaining music composition, and making of the beat itsel,f by choosing sounds for drums, instruments, synths etc. In your second paragraph you talk about sound effects and recording different layers for the vocals, again not understanding that this is a process in the creative aspect of making music, not mixing. Mixing music is in theory very simple: after you have done what you feel is right in the composition the mixing process can begin. This is done to make everything sound better by using volume faders, EQ, panning, compressors. Simple as that. Now, some producers might want to change instruments and structure in the mixing process, but then theyīre working as composers, not mixers.

Sccit

« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2013, 06:07:30 AM »

from experience, mixing the beat consists of bringing in certain instruments at certain points, deciding when the beat drops or when to fade out the drums, creating a build up to chorus etc...basically, structuring the beat to perfection, and then adding your own touches to complete it.

mixing vocals would be adding effects in ceratin areas, reverb where needed, punch-ins, ad-libs, all that stuff....it's a lot more than just "making sure the levels sound good", even though that is a part of it. mixing is one of the hardest aspects of making a song.. a good mix and a bad mix can be the difference between garbage and a classic.

I have to say, if thatīs your understanding of what mixing music is, then your music obviously must suffer from a lot of mixing mistakes since you clearly donīt know what mixing is. You begin your post by explaining music composition, and making of the beat itsel,f by choosing sounds for drums, instruments, synths etc. In your second paragraph you talk about sound effects and recording different layers for the vocals, again not understanding that this is a process in the creative aspect of making music, not mixing. Mixing music is in theory very simple: after you have done what you feel is right in the composition the mixing process can begin. This is done to make everything sound better by using volume faders, EQ, panning, compressors. Simple as that. Now, some producers might want to change instruments and structure in the mixing process, but then theyīre working as composers, not mixers.

you clearly have no idea what ur talking about...producers can mix beats, as well as vocals. some only mix vocals, some only mix beats...dre clearly mixes beats, as well as vocals.

when mixing vocals, it's typically up to the person doing the mixing where to add reverb, where to leave the punch-ins/ad-libs, where to add sound effects, etc. theres a whole lot thats gets recorded that gets erased in the mixing process, and only someone who's never mixed music in their entire life would not know this.

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2013, 07:45:04 AM »
Again you prove my point by not seeing/ understanding the difference in music composition and the mixing process. I never mentioned producers CAN NOT mix as well, so I donīt know where you got that from. You are confusing composition and the creative aspect of the song process with the mixing process.I have a education in music theory, production and composition, and have mixed and mastered many tracks over the years. Talk is cheap on the internet so I donīt expect you to believe me, but I would recomend you to read up on the subject of mixing audio. I assume you are like the majority of people on this board that think mixing and mastering is this big magical thing that changes the overall composition of the track. That statement is simply not true, and as I mentioned earlier: mixing audio is simply to rely on a set of sound enchancers to make something sound a little better. Thatīs all it is, and has nothing to do with the composition of the music.

you clearly have no idea what ur talking about...producers can mix beats, as well as vocals. some only mix vocals, some only mix beats...dre clearly mixes beats, as well as vocals.

when mixing vocals, it's typically up to the person doing the mixing where to add reverb, where to leave the punch-ins/ad-libs, where to add sound effects, etc. theres a whole lot thats gets recorded that gets erased in the mixing process, and only someone who's never mixed music in their entire life would not know this.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:47:15 AM by I`m Wayne Brady bitch! »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2013, 08:02:42 AM »
Oh, you talkin' about that one? I thought you were talkin' about the other one.

LMAO.

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2013, 08:53:14 AM »
Was Detox originally The Chronic 2000 (2001) remix LP? Containing Ra's Watcher, Fuck You Too, Still Aftermath (hey young girl?) etc?

Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

o g s u e s o n e

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
Oh, you talkin' about that one? I thought you were talkin' about the other one.

LMAO.

;D

Sccit

« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »
Again you prove my point by not seeing/ understanding the difference in music composition and the mixing process. I never mentioned producers CAN NOT mix as well, so I don´t know where you got that from. You are confusing composition and the creative aspect of the song process with the mixing process.I have a education in music theory, production and composition, and have mixed and mastered many tracks over the years. Talk is cheap on the internet so I don´t expect you to believe me, but I would recomend you to read up on the subject of mixing audio. I assume you are like the majority of people on this board that think mixing and mastering is this big magical thing that changes the overall composition of the track. That statement is simply not true, and as I mentioned earlier: mixing audio is simply to rely on a set of sound enchancers to make something sound a little better. That´s all it is, and has nothing to do with the composition of the music.

i´m curious, what´s mixing in your opinion ?

I have to say, if that´s your understanding of what mixing music is, then your music obviously must suffer from a lot of mixing mistakes since you clearly don´t know what mixing is. You begin your post by explaining music composition, and making of the beat itsel,f by choosing sounds for drums, instruments, synths etc. In your second paragraph you talk about sound effects and recording different layers for the vocals, again not understanding that this is a process in the creative aspect of making music, not mixing. Mixing music is in theory very simple: after you have done what you feel is right in the composition the mixing process can begin. This is done to make everything sound better by using volume faders, EQ, panning, compressors. Simple as that. Now, some producers might want to change instruments and structure in the mixing process, but then they´re working as composers, not mixers.

well, i can take ur word for it, or i can listen to peeps who have actually worked in the studio with dre, fingazz, storch, etc....what they do when they mix tracks is a lot more than just fading, panning, EQing etc. LOL.. that may be the traditional definition of mixing, but theres a lot more that gets done in hip-hop in ur typical mixing process. do u really think the artist/composer is the one to add reverb? do u think the artist/composer decides where the adlibs/punch-ins stay and where they are removed, or do u think the person mixing the track does that? clearly, ur school has hindered ur natural state of understanding music...the way we do it is we see what sounds good and what doesn't, whther it's through mixing or through composing. we dont care for technical definitions...obviously, some tracks are mixed differently than others, but dre does a whole lot more in the mixing process than ur average mixer, and so do all the great mixers in music.