Author Topic: Post theories on why hip-hop isn't as dope today as it used to be...  (Read 769 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I heard one theory by Big Syke (Outlawz, one of 2pac's disciples) today that really resonated with me.  He said that rap is a form of information and communication.  And that there is no communication anymore.  If they are just talking about snapping and popping and booty shaking then there is no information and communication.   

Rappers used to really dig into their life stories, so people from different parts of the world could know what was happening in other regions.

...those were some of the points he touched on
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
Re: Post theories on why hip-hop isn't as dope today as it used to be...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:14:09 PM »
people don't wanna hear a message or music wit meaningful content anymore it seems. the simpler the content the more repetitive the music is the more appealing it is to the average dummy which is why it's called ''dumbin' down''. there is meaningful music that's just as dope as shit back in the day but if if ain't on radio to some people it don't matter.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Blood$

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:19:15 PM »
I feel Nelly is to blame.

Spoonie Luv

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 01:03:13 AM »
"real" hip hop records are still being made today in underground / independant artist. What they play on the radio and Mtv is Commercial rap. Hip Hop is a big business now so corporate amercia wants a piece of the pie and they dictate whats "hot" for the moment and everyone copies the trend. I could give a shit about the radio and whos in the lime light. Sure i would like to see some of my favorite independant artist make it to commercial success but right now, hip hop is going back to the roots and keeping it in the streets. If you have your ear the street instead of the radio then you know whats poppin'.
Spoonie Luv From Up Above

Fraxxx

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 01:20:35 AM »
"real" hip hop records are still being made today in underground / independant artist. What they play on the radio and Mtv is Commercial rap. Hip Hop is a big business now so corporate amercia wants a piece of the pie and they dictate whats "hot" for the moment and everyone copies the trend. I could give a shit about the radio and whos in the lime light. Sure i would like to see some of my favorite independant artist make it to commercial success but right now, hip hop is going back to the roots and keeping it in the streets. If you have your ear the street instead of the radio then you know whats poppin'.

+1 Whoever says there wasn't many dope artists around just don't bother to look for them.

Side note: Listened to Frank Ocean's nostalgia, Ultra just yesterday for the first time, it's fuckin dope!
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:26:07 AM »
Dilution and mass appeal = less and less "real". We now live in a world where people prefer the signifier to the thing being signified, the symbol to the reality. This era will go down in history as "Champagne Times" - lots of bubble, fizz and sparkle to mask a complete lack or content or core.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:53:32 AM »
I feel Nelly is to blame.

Absolutely. All started with that "Hot In Here" song.

Will_B

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 07:24:38 AM »
Plus the rappers who came up in the nineties grew up with the evolution of hiphop though the 80's and all that dope music they sampled, grew up in musical environments where folks played the oldies etc. the art was changing fast and artists were really breaking new ground.

Kids who grew up with playstations and everything on plate for them don't got nothing real to spit about, no creativity and no competition from their peers, no interest in communities, politics, never read a book, no movement no nothing.

All they got is the image and desire for $$$

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 07:42:50 AM »

+1 Whoever says there wasn't many dope artists around just don't bother to look for them.

Side note: Listened to Frank Ocean's nostalgia, it's fuckin dope!

The homo who openly sings about making love to other men?  No thanks
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

MistaNova

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 08:45:06 AM »
One theory I've been pondering is how every generation seems to hate the generation(s) that come after it. Like how rock fans in the 80's hated rock in the 90's. Now of course, all sorts of factors come into play like personal taste and whatnot so it doesn't refer to everybody but it does happen. It wouldn't surprise me if maybe hip-hop's going through that stage now. It probably just feels like a big deal because hip hop hasn't been around as long as other genres. In 20 years from now I expect hip-hop to sound much more different and the fans of hip-hop right now (who I'm guessing are generally late-90's/00's babies) will hate it just like how 80's & early 90's babies hate hip-hop as of right now.
Of course I'm referring mainly to the mainstream scene though. You'll always find great music in the underground scene, it's just becoming a matter of how far do you have to dig to find it.

Fraxxx

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:07:05 AM »

And by "no thanks" you mean that you never listened to any of his songs, I guess? Damn Brian, the day your opinion holds any weight is the day the world's going to end.

One theory I've been pondering is how every generation seems to hate the generation(s) that come after it. Like how rock fans in the 80's hated rock in the 90's. Now of course, all sorts of factors come into play like personal taste and whatnot so it doesn't refer to everybody but it does happen. It wouldn't surprise me if maybe hip-hop's going through that stage now. It probably just feels like a big deal because hip hop hasn't been around as long as other genres. In 20 years from now I expect hip-hop to sound much more different and the fans of hip-hop right now (who I'm guessing are generally late-90's/00's babies) will hate it just like how 80's & early 90's babies hate hip-hop as of right now.
Of course I'm referring mainly to the mainstream scene though. You'll always find great music in the underground scene, it's just becoming a matter of how far do you have to dig to find it.

This comes to mind.

i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 09:42:07 AM »

Nice post.  On point.

King Of The Greater Los Angeles Area

• 'G'
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 10:21:41 AM »
rap wasnt really mainstream like it is today. rap just went big and because of that there is a ton of wack mainstream shit now

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 10:23:10 AM »
Plus the rappers who came up in the nineties grew up with the evolution of hiphop though the 80's and all that dope music they sampled, grew up in musical environments where folks played the oldies etc. the art was changing fast and artists were really breaking new ground.

Kids who grew up with playstations and everything on plate for them don't got nothing real to spit about, no creativity and no competition from their peers, no interest in communities, politics, never read a book, no movement no nothing.

All they got is the image and desire for $$$

pretty much.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »

LOL