Author Topic: Post theories on why hip-hop isn't as dope today as it used to be...  (Read 770 times)

Blood$

Re: Post theories on why hip-hop isn't as dope today as it used to be...
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »

+1 Whoever says there wasn't many dope artists around just don't bother to look for them.

Side note: Listened to Frank Ocean's nostalgia, it's fuckin dope!

The homo who openly sings about making love to other men?  No thanks

you clearly have never heard one Frank Ocean song... he has zero songs about that subject with the exception of maybe "Forest Gump"

Frank Ocean > insert generic cheesy popular R&B singer here

Blood$

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 10:34:49 AM »
I feel Nelly is to blame.

Absolutely. All started with that "Hot In Here" song.

well I think it started with track number two off his first album "St. Louie" and then "Hot In Herre" kinda put the nail in the coffin

now when I think of it so many wack dudes from St. Louis ruined hip-hop like Nelly, Chingy, Huey, etc.

shoo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 12:00:39 PM »
I heard one theory by Big Syke (Outlawz, one of 2pac's disciples) today that really resonated with me.  He said that rap is a form of information and communication.  And that there is no communication anymore.  If they are just talking about snapping and popping and booty shaking then there is no information and communication.  

Rappers used to really dig into their life stories, so people from different parts of the world could know what was happening in other regions.

...those were some of the points he touched on

there is communication. But they don't communicate through music anymore. Back in the days rappers were writing songs to tell people about something. Nowadays they use twitter, facebook etc. I'm not saying they shouldn't be using them but you can see how emotional they get on their fanpages or however they call it. I bet these are the same emotions they used to put on a paper in the past. They simply exchanged pad and pen for twitter. Now think how many beefs there was on a twitter in last few years. And how many beefs on the tracks...

Yes, exaggeration maybe... but there must be something in it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:02:48 PM by shoo »

Fraxxx

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 01:49:45 PM »

+1 Whoever says there wasn't many dope artists around just don't bother to look for them.

Side note: Listened to Frank Ocean's nostalgia, it's fuckin dope!

The homo who openly sings about making love to other men?  No thanks

you clearly have never heard one Frank Ocean song... he has zero songs about that subject with the exception of maybe "Forest Gump"

Frank Ocean > insert generic cheesy popular R&B singer here

LOL It's so obvious, but that's fuckin Brian for ya.

i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »
Dilution and mass appeal = less and less "real". We now live in a world where people prefer the signifier to the thing being signified, the symbol to the reality. This era will go down in history as "Champagne Times" - lots of bubble, fizz and sparkle to mask a complete lack or content or core.

nice post.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »
Plus the rappers who came up in the nineties grew up with the evolution of hiphop though the 80's and all that dope music they sampled, grew up in musical environments where folks played the oldies etc. the art was changing fast and artists were really breaking new ground.

Kids who grew up with playstations and everything on plate for them don't got nothing real to spit about, no creativity and no competition from their peers, no interest in communities, politics, never read a book, no movement no nothing.

All they got is the image and desire for $$$

Word.... the 80's and 90's rappers grew up in times when computers were for nerds, video games weren't around as much, you didn't have 500 different television stations.   They mostly ran the streets and got educated to the streets and translated that to their music.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »
One theory I've been pondering is how every generation seems to hate the generation(s) that come after it. Like how rock fans in the 80's hated rock in the 90's. Now of course, all sorts of factors come into play like personal taste and whatnot so it doesn't refer to everybody but it does happen. It wouldn't surprise me if maybe hip-hop's going through that stage now. It probably just feels like a big deal because hip hop hasn't been around as long as other genres. In 20 years from now I expect hip-hop to sound much more different and the fans of hip-hop right now (who I'm guessing are generally late-90's/00's babies) will hate it just like how 80's & early 90's babies hate hip-hop as of right now.
Of course I'm referring mainly to the mainstream scene though. You'll always find great music in the underground scene, it's just becoming a matter of how far do you have to dig to find it.

But what about the case of Jazz music.  It wasn't just the old hating the music of the youth.  Sometimes some musical genre's just die out or never return to their golden age.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 02:07:44 PM »

there is communication. But they don't communicate through music anymore. Back in the days rappers were writing songs to tell people about something. Nowadays they use twitter, facebook etc. I'm not saying they shouldn't be using them but you can see how emotional they get on their fanpages or however they call it. I bet these are the same emotions they used to put on a paper in the past. They simply exchanged pad and pen for twitter. Now think how many beefs there was on a twitter in last few years. And how many beefs on the tracks...

Yes, exaggeration maybe... but there must be something in it.

that's definitely a big part of it.  Also, all these multiple forms of communication have over-exposed artists and over-saturated the market. I remember being a kid and MTV news would flash with some statement by Snoop or Dre or 2pac and you would be glued to the TV.  Or you would see a quote in the Source every few months and it would be a big deal, because you didn't hear and see your favorite artists that often.  You'd have to wait generally a year or two or three to hear new material from your favorite artists and it had time to build quality and anticipation.   Now you have dozens of tracks leaked every day to the net, and their words are all over twitter, video's all over youtube, so nothing is really exclusive or hard to find anymore.

Blood$

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »
One theory I've been pondering is how every generation seems to hate the generation(s) that come after it. Like how rock fans in the 80's hated rock in the 90's. Now of course, all sorts of factors come into play like personal taste and whatnot so it doesn't refer to everybody but it does happen. It wouldn't surprise me if maybe hip-hop's going through that stage now. It probably just feels like a big deal because hip hop hasn't been around as long as other genres. In 20 years from now I expect hip-hop to sound much more different and the fans of hip-hop right now (who I'm guessing are generally late-90's/00's babies) will hate it just like how 80's & early 90's babies hate hip-hop as of right now.
Of course I'm referring mainly to the mainstream scene though. You'll always find great music in the underground scene, it's just becoming a matter of how far do you have to dig to find it.

+1 for this post even though you like Tyga  :P

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 10:10:28 PM »
rap wasnt really mainstream like it is today. rap just went big and because of that there is a ton of wack mainstream shit now

Rap and RnB was at it's most commercially successful in the early 2000's, not now.

Time's change, people change, music changes. Either grow with the music, or stick to the classics from your generation. You can moan all you like about Hip Hop being dead, but Kendrick just dropped one of the best albums of the last 5-10 years', and there's plenty of dope music coming out if you're open to the sound. Even RnB is having a revival with Frank Ocean, Miguel and The Dream.

This whole thread is just Brian being old and ignorant as usual.

Will_B

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 12:52:12 AM »
rap wasnt really mainstream like it is today. rap just went big and because of that there is a ton of wack mainstream shit now

Rap and RnB was at it's most commercially successful in the early 2000's, not now.

Time's change, people change, music changes. Either grow with the music, or stick to the classics from your generation. You can moan all you like about Hip Hop being dead, but Kendrick just dropped one of the best albums of the last 5-10 years', and there's plenty of dope music coming out if you're open to the sound. Even RnB is having a revival with Frank Ocean, Miguel and The Dream.

This whole thread is just Brian being old and ignorant as usual.

I think u can have the same 'ear' for current and old stuff, well I do anyway. I just know back then there was new stuff coming out constantly in rap and other genres , and I mean bangers that were hot then not retrospectively. Now we are lucky to get 10 albums a year that good

MistaNova

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 03:33:03 AM »

But what about the case of Jazz music.  It wasn't just the old hating the music of the youth.  Sometimes some musical genre's just die out or never return to their golden age.

I can't really say whether or not that's true since I don't really know enough about jazz music. But if you're suggesting that maybe hip-hop is going to die out I'd keep an eye on the direction hip hop goes in for a few more years before jumping to such a conclusion. After all it still exists in the mainstream music industry (regardless of whether or not you hate it in it's current form) and it definitely still lives underground.
As for a golden age coming back, I don't think any golden age of any genre has ever come back. Mainly because everyone's got their own idea of what the "golden age" of a genre was/is to them. All you can ever do is hope the next generation will be as good, if not better than the last one. Which it rarely is because of things like people letting nostalgia blind them (not everybody, but several).

kuruptDPG

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 05:04:40 AM »
my take on it

someone mentioned earlier the generation which grew up with playsations etc have no imaginiation....nail on the head

back in the days more time was spent on beats etc but now its simpler hence why we're not liking it...its jus the same beat again and again with all the current artists using (the david guetta sound)

chuck d put it like this, he said you would get up to go to the studio...now u can make a beat jus waking up from your bed...hence not enough effort put into it.

also i dont agree with older generation saying this about new generation etc, reason why we say the new gen is crap because in our time any song we heard was good, even the early 2000's so we've been thru that and now we're comparing bcuz we're goin thru this new song and u can clearly tell the difference obviously

plus 70/80's geneartion cant really hate on 90's/early 2000's because music was still great within those years, tradition was still continuing within those years in my opinion

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 07:23:51 AM »
i think the problem can be summed up when you compare kendricks gkmc and games Jesus piece.

kendrick has an album with a concept and vision, the game has a bunch of singles packaged as an album, there are to many artists making singles for the masses that aren't good and aren't producing albums with quality control and concepts.

the internet doesn't help, back in the day there was quality control.  if you were good you got put on and you released an album.  now a shit artist can put a track video on the net create a net buzz because of facebook likes retweets and youtube views and suddenly there the next hot artist

its difficult to cut through the crap to get to the good stuff.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Will_B

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 07:34:11 AM »
i think the problem can be summed up when you compare kendricks gkmc and games Jesus piece.

kendrick has an album with a concept and vision, the game has a bunch of singles packaged as an album, there are to many artists making singles for the masses that aren't good and aren't producing albums with quality control and concepts.

the internet doesn't help, back in the day there was quality control.  if you were good you got put on and you released an album.  now a shit artist can put a track video on the net create a net buzz because of facebook likes retweets and youtube views and suddenly there the next hot artist

its difficult to cut through the crap to get to the good stuff.

Back in the day u had artists that were hand picked or mentored by professionals. Nearly everything is different now. They reinvented the wheel with music for better or for worse. Like fuck session musicians and using samples, real turntables, real instruments, real recording studios, song structure, singers with training and knowledge of arrangement, and fuck quality control of any kind, fuck your own manager, promote yourself etc etc :laugh:

Add to that fans stopped listening to the radio, watching MTV, buying magazines, going to concerts, and above all people do not want to pay for music.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:36:21 AM by Do Buy Albums »