Author Topic: The Official MLB Thread  (Read 7402 times)

MistaNova

Re: MLB Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2013, 11:25:52 AM »
Meh, pitchers are always putting junk on the balls to get a tighter grip.
Like (I think) CJ Wilson does this thing where he puts something in his hair and before every pitch he's constantly touching his hair and getting whatever the heck he's relying on for better control on the ball. Same goes for those pitchers who're always touching their hats.
Regarding Bucholz and Tazawa, I wouldn't be surprised if Morris and Dirk's accusations were true, but from what I've heard they appearently got word of the "suspicious deed" from a guy who noticed it on a TV screen. Not to mention that the Blue Jays staff didn't have them checked or anything (then again they are a team based in Canada, eh). All in all I couldn't really care less though. Unless it leads to a Bucholz suspension and if it did I'd host a fucking parade.

Other than that the only thing that came to mind about that whole situation is that the Jack Morris vs Dennis Eckersley situation is a classic dick-measuring contest.
Like here are two relatively old dudes who've had very successful careers in the MLB but yet you've got the,
"Sit your ass back down, you're not a member of the HoF!" "I pitched more innings in the 1991 World Series than you did in your entire career!" subtexts going back and forth. And boy is it pretty laughable.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:01:56 PM by Iveus »

MistaNova

« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2013, 07:27:17 PM »
I hope J.A. Happ's alright. That injury was fucking scary.

Remedy360

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2013, 11:18:52 AM »
I hope J.A. Happ's alright. That injury was fucking scary.

It's funny, cause baseballs pretty safe compared to other sports as far as major injuries go, but a baseball coming at your head can fuck you up as bad as anything. Sounds like he's ok though.

MistaNova

« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
It's funny, cause baseballs pretty safe compared to other sports as far as major injuries go, but a baseball coming at your head can fuck you up as bad as anything. Sounds like he's ok though.

Well the pretty sad and grim thing is that injuries like the one that Happ went through can occur at any given moment. Even last year we saw Brandon McCarthy go down with the same kind of injury. And IMO I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened more often.

That said I expect (and somewhat hope) that a movement towards protective headgear made towards pitchers will be put into action. Not exactly a bulky huge helmet like a batting helmet but something that can offer a lot more protection than just a regular baseball hat without being much of a distraction for the pitcher.
And if the MLB is smart (which is relatively questionable IMO) they'll put it into action very slowly. Like maybe testing stuff like that at the minor league level first and then gradually seeing the number of people using/willing to use it increase until they can say "this is a rule now."
The last thing I (and I'm sure I'm not alone) want to see is to see the MLB wait until a guy dies before finally doing something about it.

BTW, Happ looks like he's okay thank God. Appearently he was released from the hospital on crutches (he suffered a knee injury when he fell) and with a bandage over his head.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:52:41 PM by Iveus »

Remedy360

« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »

That said I expect (and somewhat hope) that a movement towards protective headgear made towards pitchers will be put into action.

Agreed. I remember when Rafael Soriano played here he got smashed in the face by a Vladamir Guererrero line-drive that went all the way back to the backstop, I honestly thought dude might die at first. Shit's no joke.

MistaNova

« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2013, 02:38:09 PM »
I see those umpires are still getting calls wrong.
The A's were robbed of a potential game tying home-run that actually was a home-run, only to be ruled as a double and they eventually lost the game to dumb-ass Chris Perez.

But since none of us are Oakland fans or Cleveland fans, fuck them, both of them.
What's more important (at least IMO) is how Vernon Wells was manning third base for the Yankees yesterday and was great there.
Suck it Angels.

MistaNova

« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »
I'm starting to wonder who everyone (who likes MLB) is a fan of on this board.
I know Remedy is a Mariners fan
Hack, Cham, DJ SUGAFREE QUIK and Ghost are Yankees fans (or at least I think they are)
Nikcc's a Dodgers fan
Plant's a Blue Jays fan (so was Knuckles)
Bananas' a Giants fan (I think)
M Dogg, um, Angels(?)
Infinite, erm, Royals? (Or did he give up on them already?)

You'd think that a forum focused on cali-based hip hop would have at least one Oakland A's fan and maybe one Padres fan.
I know that there were a few more Dodgers and even a Red Sox fan in the past, although I'm guessing they stopped coming here around the time Game had dropped My Life.

Remedy360

« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »
Hack, Cham, DJ SUGAFREE QUIK and Ghost are Yankees fans (or at least I think they are)
Nikcc's a Dodgers fan
M Dogg, um, Angels(?)

You'd think that a forum focused on cali-based hip hop would have at least one Oakland A's fan and maybe one Padres fan.
I know that there were a few more Dodgers and even a Red Sox fan in the past, although I'm guessing they stopped coming here around the time Game had dropped My Life.

Yeah, but NIK's really just a casual fan, doesn't really talk baseball. The rest of 'em don't really post here all that much, me you Hack and Cham are really the only ones involved in baseball discussions regularly it seems.

Sccit

« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2013, 11:27:34 PM »
Nikcc's a Dodgers fan
M Dogg, um, Angels(?)

acgrundy was an oakland a's fan

rik and javier were dodger fans...a few others, as well, just look back in the official dodgers thread
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:29:14 PM by NIKCC »

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2013, 02:00:08 PM »
vernon wells and robbie cano for co MVPs

Remedy360

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2013, 10:39:34 PM »

Gotta give props to the Yankees for doing as well as they have with all those injuries/castoffs on their team.

MistaNova

« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2013, 10:51:52 AM »

Make it Wells, Cano and Overbay for co-MVPs.

Gotta give props to the Yankees for doing as well as they have with all those injuries/castoffs on their team.

And what's kinda intersting is that they seemingly always do this. Just last year the Yankees got incredibly good production from guys like Andrew Jones, Raul Ibanez, Andy Pettitte and Ichiro Suzuki, guys who everyone kinda wrote off as "has-beens" that were probably going to retire after the season ends.
Whichi is why next year I expect to see Roy Halladay in pinstripes 8).

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2013, 07:41:49 PM »
http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=330514110

LOL @ Seattle....King Felix gets a 3-0 lead and they still lose :D

MistaNova

« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2013, 07:47:48 PM »

8)

Remedy360

« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=330514110

LOL @ Seattle....King Felix gets a 3-0 lead and they still lose :D

Y'all got lucky that Felix got hurt and that the Ump felt the need to give you that gift and give a walk in that inning when the pitch was clearly strike three.