Author Topic: The Official MLB Thread  (Read 7503 times)

MistaNova

Re: Sticky: The Official MLB Thread
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »
i like what the indians are doing so far but yeah man Detroit only needed 88 wins to take the division last year

but give them credit, they dominated the AL in the post season before the Giants somehow raped them.  Last years Giants might be the worst team to win the world series in years lol

The Indians always start off the season hot but find themselves out of contention by mid-August, I doubt this year is any different.

And I will not give them any sort of credit.
First off they managed to slide into the post-season last year because they won that shitty ass AL Central, meanwhile the Angels and Rays missed the postseason despite finishing with better records than the Tigers, that's bullshit.
Second, they did not dominate the AL. The Oakland A's gave them a run for their money in the ALDS and nearly knocked them out of contention. The Tigers just happened to win and then they only had to face a tired, old Yankees team that was just relying on it's starting pitching and Raul Ibanez.
Third, they got swept in the WS by another team that got to the postseason because their division was a shitty one and one that didn't even have their true ace (stoner Tim) at 100%.

They just got to the WS thanks to their circumstances and sheer luck. They bested the A's and Yanks in a short series that practically anybody could win (which is pretty much the same for the Giants).

And while I was writting this post I decided to rank the MLB divisions from worst to best.
AL Central < NL West < AL West < NL East < NL Central < AL East

The AL Central sucks because it's only got 1 good team, 3 mediocre ones and 1 really shitty one.
The NL West sucks because it's got 1 good team, 1 team that should be a lot better but isn't, 1 mediocre one and 2 crappy ones.
The AL West has 1 good team, 1 team that should be better but sucks, 2 mediocre teams and 1 really crappy one.
The NL East have 2 good teams, 2 mediocre teams and 1 crappy team.
The NL Central have 2 good teams and 3 mediocre ones.
The AL East have 5 kinda good, mostly overachieving teams (although there is 1 team that should be better but isn't) but they've all played so relatively well that the division is tough as shit. And yes, I'm biased sue me 8).

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2013, 08:48:18 PM »
NL central is nuts this year

the Reds are my pick to make the world series (since the Dodgers are underachievers)

MistaNova

« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2013, 08:58:57 PM »
Although I picked the Nats as my WS winner (ugh :P), I think that the Cardinals win the NL Central. The amount of depth that team has both pitching and hitting wise is incredible. I have the Reds as one of the 2 NL wild card teams that'll go up against either the Braves or Nats.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2013, 08:59:27 PM »
carlos beltran is the man...except when he's a Met   8)

MistaNova

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2013, 09:12:20 PM »
I personally didn't mind when he was a Met, he managed to re-enforce the fact that the baseball Gods have denied the Mets of ever having a good outfield/outfielder haha.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »
I personally didn't mind when he was a Met, he managed to re-enforce the fact that the baseball Gods have denied the Mets of ever having a good outfield/outfielder haha.

same with Jason Bay  8)

i've been spending a lot of time in NY lately and you should hear how the Mets fans hate on that guy :D :D :D

just the other day they were talking about who's worse, Ike Davis (batting .157) or J-Bay.

MistaNova

« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2013, 09:27:09 PM »
Yeah I know how much hate Bay gets as I've got a few friends who are Mets fans. And a lot of those Mets fans still seem to make those "still a better hitter than Jason Bay" memes, I suppose they've got nothing better to do than wait for the next Matt Harvey start.

And I think Davis is better than Bay. More than anything because of his contract which is a lot smaller than the one Bay got. And as sad as it may be, Davis is basically the only Met who can hit home runs.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2013, 09:27:48 PM »
i can't wait til the Mets can't afford both Harvey and Wheeler and one of them goes into free agency lol

MistaNova

« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2013, 03:25:47 PM »
If Wheeler, Syndergaard and d'Arnaud all pan out and become the players that the scouts say they will and if Harvey stays pitching and hitting like yesterday the Mets will definitely have to let at least 1 of them go.
That said, the Mets' rotation in 3 years could be a filthy one. Harvey the ace, Wheeler the no. 2, Niese the solid no. 3, Syndergaard the no. 4 and another pitching prospect in the 5 spot (maybe Juerys Familia?).
I can picture them all pitching 7 innings of scoreless or 1-run ball with each outing but the the bull-pen still manages fuck it up.

MistaNova

« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2013, 10:22:10 PM »
Well the Angels have something to cheer about, they have a decent pitcher in Jason Vargas.
Oh and that Trout guy just hit for the cycle.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »
Well the Angels have something to cheer about, they have a decent pitcher in Jason Vargas.
Oh and that Trout guy just hit for the cycle.

Shit, I'm just going to pretend Vargas is a type of fish. We are good.

MistaNova

« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »
Anyone else read this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/gross-houston-astros-vendor-fired-bringing-snow-cone-143626343.html

This story fits well with how Aramark Foods pledges to give the fans a taste of the Astros with every bite ;).

That said, part of me can only wonder how common this kinda shit is in all professional sports stadiums...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:27:25 PM by Iveus »

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

Re: MLB Thread
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2013, 11:00:32 PM »
A lot of the A's fans in oakland might have been shot dead, cause they live in oakland.

Might as well call the Astros the Lastros.

And I actually retired watching mlb in 93.  Went off in a great note watching the Blue Jays win their 2nd WS in a row  ;D  And i'm the biggest yankee hater who isn't a red sox fan.  Last time i've pulled for them is against the twins from 83-92.  Bad enuff that they're the only non-football team i'd cheer white power hate groups over=game or street fight but i'd rather join a white power hate group than to sellout to them. 
And I don't mean them idiot black & mexican gangbangers who do the aryan nations dirty work for them. 

Oh, my bad. I'll put you down as a Blue Jays fan then.
No big deal.  Back then there were lots of teams 2 like in the 80's.  Its possible for me to be professional when discussing teams, even ones I despise.  The canadian teams[they had the coolest uniforms-light blue], missouri teams, Astros[rainbow jerseys, on shoulders & stomach] 80's cards & royals.  I wanted the talent & championships spreaded around. 

Remedy360

« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2013, 02:30:10 PM »
Yep, Milton Bradley's a piece of shit.

LOS ANGELES -- A jury on Monday convicted former Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Milton Bradley of abusing his estranged wife.

Bradley, 35, was convicted after a four-week trial of nine misdemeanor counts, including four counts of spousal battery, one count of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of making criminal threats, Los Angeles city attorney's spokesman Frank Mateljan said. He faces up to 7˝ years in jail at his sentencing, which is scheduled for July 2.

Prosecutors said Bradley threatened and attacked his wife five times in 2011 and 2012. The two have been married for five years and have two children together, but are separated and in the middle of a contentious divorce.

In one incident, Bradley pushed his wife against a wall and choked her after she asked him to stop smoking marijuana in front of their children and wanted his friends to leave their home, police and prosecutors said.

"Domestic violence will not be tolerated, regardless of perceived celebrity or notoriety, and violators will be held fully accountable for their actions," City Attorney Carmen Trutanich said in a statement.

A phone message left after business hours for Bradley's attorney Harland Braun was not immediately returned.

Bradley played 11 years with the Dodgers, Montreal Expos, Cleveland Indians, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Texas Rangers, Chicago Cubs and Seattle Mariners.

His playing history was marred by several confrontational outbursts. The Dodgers traded him to Oakland in 2005 after he threw a water bottle at fans and had a clubhouse run-in with a reporter. During his brief term with Seattle, he was suspended for a game for bumping an umpire and ejected for arguing a called third strike.

He's been a free agent since the Mariners released him in 2011.

Sccit

« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »
maybe she deserved it?