Author Topic: Top 3 Most Over-rated rappers in history  (Read 3878 times)

Hack Wilson - real

Re: Top 3 Most Over-rated rappers in history
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2013, 01:56:15 PM »
Shit all those guys I named > Em

none of them ever made an album as dope as the Slim Shady LP though

same reason I won't ever call Snoop the most over rated rapper without stipulating Snoop post-death row....cuz Snoop dropped Doggystyle and that's a top 5 album ever.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2013, 02:00:37 PM »
the only barriers he broke was first white rapper to gain acceptance and first rapper to rap so frequently about drugs and weiner.

his shit never sounded that original to me because i grew up off kool g rap and masta ace DITC etc...if nas or lord finesse or someone said that shit it would have either been over looked or censored. im not saying hes not good but hes not better then master ace or kool g rap. hes not better then nas or any of the niggas he got inspired by.

This. You had alot of rappers who spit crazy shit that got overlooked but then the white dude comes along n says it n its exaggerrated n blown up.

See, people say overrated and I'd never put Eminem on there. From 1999-2002 he was a beast and no one was touching him. Every rapper falls off eventually. Rakim was great from 1986-1990, KRS-One was the same at that same time period. Snoop was on top from 1992-1995. Rap is a young man's game, so when I look at overrated, I don't look at who was great and then fell off, I look at who just was never good.

BS. Black Thought from the Roots been one of the best lyricists since 89-90 n still as good as he was then. Cormega been dope since he first came out n probably better now. Common been dope since early 90s, Raekwon, Pharaohe Monch, AZ, Talib Kweli. OC all still rappin at the level they was when they first came out. If a rapper only has a run of 3-5 years of hot music but people call them one of the greats theyre the perfect example of bein overrated.

You mistake consistency for greatness. First off, Black Thought has a great run of peak, and the rest was really good. Common in the 90's outshines Common now. Kweli in 2002 shits on Kweli now. But throughout that, they are still consistently good. That does not mean other rappers in their primes were not great, and don't deserves to be called great. It means that there are certain rappers who can perform really well for a long period of time. Eminem for 5 years was great, you can't take that away from him. He's still very consistent now, but not as good. But it is what it is. I judge prime for prime, like Nas 1994-1996, or Snoop 1992-1995. The other stuff just tells me were they rank all time. But if their prime was really high, I look at that over a horrible 10th album that was ghostwritten and never should have came out.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »

same reason I won't ever call Snoop the most over rated rapper without stipulating Snoop post-death row....cuz Snoop dropped Doggystyle and that's a top 5 album ever.
they all have dropped albums that were better than the slim shady lp. all of them !!!
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2013, 02:20:47 PM »

Cuban Linx > SSLP easy
Not to mention Id include Nas on my list of lyricists who never fell off so dont tell me Illmatic isnt better either. But im not goin off albums. Doggystyle & SSLP were put together by arguably the greatest hip hop producer ever. The guys Im mentionin didnt have that to fall back on yet if they get on a song right now are lyrically as good as they were when they first came out meanwhile Em sounds tired n bored with it like hes goin thru the motions just like Jay n Wayne but when goat status is mentioned you see those three pop up like crazy the others besides Nas get basically no mention. Tome thats bein overrated.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2013, 02:22:40 PM »

they all have dropped albums that were better than the slim shady lp. all of them !!!

lmao   i might give you Rae if it wasn't for the fact he needed Ghostface to be featured on every song

Cormega?  Nah....not even close.  I will say that Cormega IS very consistent though.  OC?  I love anything DITC related but even Jewelz (his best album) isn't close.  and I love that shit.   and don't get me started on AZ and how over rated he is.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2013, 02:27:59 PM »

I guess another one is T.I.  he got some good songs & there's a couple of T.I. albums I like.  But overrated as in him thinking he's king of the south.  I'm not the only one who feels that its Outkast who's the real kings of the south.  Could it be Scarface or UGK?  Perhaps, I haven't heard enough of their songs to make judgment on them.  He's done some overrated songs like Rubberband Man, you know what it is, & whatever you like....gay song. 

I think it's hard to compare TI to anyone in the south not in his era. I'd agree he's not as good as Scarface or UGK or Outkast. But in his era it was TI, Lil' Wayne and Young Geezy and I'd easily put TI over those guys. In his time, he was King of the South. I mean that's not saying he's a great rapper all time, but the best in his region during his time.

Yeah.. definitely a good call on T.I. being one of the most over-rated.  After seeing everybody's lists, I think I will refine my list to be...

1.  Jay-Z
2.  Busta Rhymes
3.  T.I.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2013, 02:29:41 PM »

lmao   i might give you Rae if it wasn't for the fact he needed Ghostface to be featured on every song

Cormega?  Nah....not even close.  I will say that Cormega IS very consistent though.  OC?  I love anything DITC related but even Jewelz (his best album) isn't close.  and I love that shit.   and don't get me started on AZ and how over rated he is.
jewelz shits on slim shady lp. hands down o.c. was at his best on that album and the beats was fire. the true meaning > slim shady lp
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »

I guess another one is T.I.  he got some good songs & there's a couple of T.I. albums I like.  But overrated as in him thinking he's king of the south.  I'm not the only one who feels that its Outkast who's the real kings of the south.  Could it be Scarface or UGK?  Perhaps, I haven't heard enough of their songs to make judgment on them.  He's done some overrated songs like Rubberband Man, you know what it is, & whatever you like....gay song. 

I think it's hard to compare TI to anyone in the south not in his era. I'd agree he's not as good as Scarface or UGK or Outkast. But in his era it was TI, Lil' Wayne and Young Geezy and I'd easily put TI over those guys. In his time, he was King of the South. I mean that's not saying he's a great rapper all time, but the best in his region during his time.

Yeah.. definitely a good call on T.I. being one of the most over-rated.  After seeing everybody's lists, I think I will refine my list to be...

1.  Jay-Z
2.  Busta Rhymes
3.  T.I.
LOL @ t.i. bein' overrated.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2013, 02:44:53 PM »

Naah, everything he did from Infinite up until Eminem show was lyrically great.. He started slippin with Encore and only completely fell of with Recovery. But his prime, I'd say, was around the time 8 Mile dropped

Word... That's one hell of a run.  I wouldn't add the Infinite album (although it is dope, but he had not fully discovered himself yet), I would say and he would say himself, that his run began with the Slim Shady EP.  Then from the Slim Shady EP he actually got better and better.  He even said it in an interview upon releasing the Eminem Show.  Em said that he had gotten better and better with every album, and that the Eminem Show was his best work, and that the day he couldn't be better than the last time out was the day he would retire.    But he went back on that promise when he released Encore which he later admitted was a subpar album, and also admitted Relapse was subpar.

I also agree with Sccit his ultimate prime was 8 Mile, with his magnum opus being, "Lose Yourself".  That is the track Em will most be remembered for 100 years from now.  "8 Mile Road" was also possibly his greatest song ever, and after that movie and soundtrack told his story to the world, his destiny was fulfilled.   No matter what happened after 8 Mile Eminem was going to be one of the all-time greats in rap.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 02:46:25 PM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2012 and 13' »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »
the only barriers he broke was first white rapper to gain acceptance and first rapper to rap so frequently about drugs and weiner.

his shit never sounded that original to me because i grew up off kool g rap and masta ace DITC etc...if nas or lord finesse or someone said that shit it would have either been over looked or censored. im not saying hes not good but hes not better then master ace or kool g rap. hes not better then nas or any of the niggas he got inspired by.

This. You had alot of rappers who spit crazy shit that got overlooked but then the white dude comes along n says it n its exaggerrated n blown up.

See, people say overrated and I'd never put Eminem on there. From 1999-2002 he was a beast and no one was touching him. Every rapper falls off eventually. Rakim was great from 1986-1990, KRS-One was the same at that same time period. Snoop was on top from 1992-1995. Rap is a young man's game, so when I look at overrated, I don't look at who was great and then fell off, I look at who just was never good.

BS. Black Thought from the Roots been one of the best lyricists since 89-90 n still as good as he was then. Cormega been dope since he first came out n probably better now. Common been dope since early 90s, Raekwon, Pharaohe Monch, AZ, Talib Kweli. OC all still rappin at the level they was when they first came out. If a rapper only has a run of 3-5 years of hot music but people call them one of the greats theyre the perfect example of bein overrated.

You mistake consistency for greatness. First off, Black Thought has a great run of peak, and the rest was really good. Common in the 90's outshines Common now. Kweli in 2002 shits on Kweli now. But throughout that, they are still consistently good. That does not mean other rappers in their primes were not great, and don't deserves to be called great. It means that there are certain rappers who can perform really well for a long period of time. Eminem for 5 years was great, you can't take that away from him. He's still very consistent now, but not as good. But it is what it is. I judge prime for prime, like Nas 1994-1996, or Snoop 1992-1995. The other stuff just tells me were they rank all time. But if their prime was really high, I look at that over a horrible 10th album that was ghostwritten and never should have came out.

Im goin off raw lyrical ability I think you kinda basin your ratin off the music as a whole. I agree that Common probably was slightly better in the 90s but Kweli lyrically still the same. I think the reason you think he was better in 02 is the same reason you say Nas was better in 94-96 and Snoop in 92-95 n thats cuz thats when they had their best production. 94-96 Nas was rappin over Premo, Pete Rock even Dre beats. 92-95 Snoop was pretty much exclusively on Dre beats. Kwelis best album was in 02 when Hi Tek laced the whole album. Heres where we disagree tho. I agree those were there best periods musically on the whole but I dont think Kweli or Nas lyrically are any worse then they were then. Theyve retained their skill level. Im not denyin Em wasnt great from he first came out. I had SSLP & MMLP n liked both of em wit MMLP bein my favorite. But Em to me lyrically isnt at the level he was in the late 90s early 00s. He dumbed it down just like Jay did to fit in this new era wit Wayne n the rest of these abc 1st grade vocabulary havin guys thats hot now.  
cause If I dont who will

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »
i've always considered Talib to be a poor man's Mos Def

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »
i've always considered Talib to be a poor man's Mos Def

Id say Mos is more talented all around. He can rap, sing, shit even act. Toe to toe lyrically tho Kweli got him.
cause If I dont who will

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2013, 04:00:18 PM »
To hammer home my point about Em n Jay, I remember maybe like 4-5 yrs ago hearin a song on the website hiphopgame with them two, that Cyhi Da Prince kid and some others I cant remember who. Anyways on Jay n Ems verses both of them was talkin about how fans pay no attention to lyrics anymore n how they both stopped puttin effort into their shit because the fans were so dumb as long as they see their names and like the beat theyll bump it anyway. Cant remember the name but it wasnt their song might have been Cyhi or some random Djs mixtape song. Point is since then Ive known neither one of them gives a fuck about the art or culture of hip hop. Im gonna see if I can find it n ill post a link.
cause If I dont who will

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2013, 04:14:03 PM »
To hammer home my point about Em n Jay, I remember maybe like 4-5 yrs ago hearin a song on the website hiphopgame with them two, that Cyhi Da Prince kid and some others I cant remember who. Anyways on Jay n Ems verses both of them was talkin about how fans pay no attention to lyrics anymore n how they both stopped puttin effort into their shit because the fans were so dumb as long as they see their names and like the beat theyll bump it anyway. Cant remember the name but it wasnt their song might have been Cyhi or some random Djs mixtape song. Point is since then Ive known neither one of them gives a fuck about the art or culture of hip hop. Im gonna see if I can find it n ill post a link.

proof is this is Lil Wayne being one of the most famous rappers ever...his lyrics are pre school and people love him and call him a dope lyricist lol

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »

I Wouldn't say neither cares, but it does look like they know how little they have to do to sell. This you take as disrespect, but maybe I've been a fan for to long and just see it as business. Hip-Hop is what goes on in the streets, it's KRS-One freestyling on the block still, it's Immortal Technique giving out free downloads of his album. What Jay and Em do is business. It doesn't make them less Hip-Hop, just means now they ain't what they use to be.