Author Topic: Help Me Figure This Out, Yall  (Read 139 times)

Trauma-san

Help Me Figure This Out, Yall
« on: March 04, 2003, 07:52:28 AM »
O.K., the company I work at, I'm a junior manager at.  Anyways, it's partially my decision to kinda give my opinion on hire/fire type stuff.  There's this woman that works with us, She stole one of our contacts (we work for an arcade distributor), and now she runs that location, with her own machines, and makes her own money.  Basically, she took it from the company since she knows the people there, and in the area, we're losing money now, because that was one of our key accounts.  

Anyways, she's poor, and everybody's always trying to be carefull around her, if we fired her, she wouldn't have very much money to eat, her family's poor, she's got gradeschool children, and she's a single mom.  When all this happened (a long time ago), the company graciously told her that if she'd just return the contact, they wouldn't fire her (I mean, she was servicing that contract as our company, and just made it her own, LOL it's pretty bold).

Anyways, that was like 17 months ago.  Once a month our owner meets with all of us, and she's told him every month that she's going to return this contract, but hasn't yet.  EVERY FRIEKIN MONTH, she's agreed that she shouldn't have done it, and she'll return the contract, but won't do it.  So my manager's thinking about firing her, even though it'll put her and her kids in a bad situation, they might lose their house, etc.... but on the other side, she did steal from us (this is like a couple hundred bucks a week, basically, that we don't get now just because she took the contract on her own away from us... the contract doesn't even realize they're not dealing with out company... so it's definately severe enough to be fired over, a normal person would be fired immediately, and since she signed a non-compete clause, she could be sued).  

What do yall think, should we fire her? It's been over a year and a half, and she's promised to fix it now ever since, but hasn't.  I think she thinks the manager's afraid to fire her, because of her situation, and half the company is on her side "Oh, she's poor".  The manager's afraid she's gonna try and steal our other accounts.  

Don Seer

Re:Help Me Figure This Out, Yall
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 07:57:50 AM »
should been have sacked from the start if she didnt give it back

if she stole accounts she could be sued over that i'm sure...

shits been too long tho...

if she's still poor the account probably isnt worth that much... plus doesnt sound like its hurting the company too bad.

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 08:15:42 AM »
Well, she's making a couple hundred bucks a week over the account, she still uses our software to calculate it, LOL.  The companies struggling in this area, because we dont' have that many accounts near Charlotte yet.  So it's definately hurting the company, but a lot of the employees say the same thing 'oh, it's not hurting the company too much'.  My manager's saying though, that she should be fired on principal, since she agreed to give it back all those times, and never did.  Basically, fired for lying about it.  Half the employees don't care that she lied all those times, and just want to forget about it.  

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 01:50:41 PM »
Hard decision, just tell her in her face, if she dont comply, shes gonna be fired, period.  If she still doesnt listen, just fire her.

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Woodrow

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 02:31:20 PM »
Notice: I'm a heartless bastard when it comes to money

First off, stealing is wrong. If you steal, you need to be prepared to deal with the consequences. To quote snoop dogg: "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time"

I really don't see how this ladies financial standing could possibly be a factor in whether to employ her or not. That’s where things are getting messed up IMO. People should not be employed based on their needs, but their work they do. If she's stealing from the company, it's clear she's not a good employee and she doesn’t have the company’s best interest in mind. What makes her needs more valid than somebody else’s needs at the company? I would consider pressing charges because as of now, the precedent is that it's "ok" to steal from the company. That's never good.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 03:07:18 PM »
fire her just for the principle
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2003, 04:14:06 PM »
So; you're saying we should bomb Iraq?

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 05:00:34 PM »
^^ LMAO

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2003, 05:08:26 PM »
she should be let go. i mean yeah that's a terrible situation she's in but people need to get the idea that you getout of a rut by doing the RIGHT thing not the wrong

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09