Author Topic: Pharrell is on the new Daft Punk album  (Read 6258 times)

Matty

Re: Pharrell is on the new Daft Punk album
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 07:19:42 AM »
i think this is just as fresh as discovery, but a totally different sound. going back to the roots. i can't remember anyone producing a record like this in the modern era that sounded so good. like a high definition take on classic funk and soul, blending in electronic and experimental elements. even on the webrip the analog style recorded comes through strong. organic, disco shit 8)

Matty

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 07:30:30 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kxTHcKHdcWI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kxTHcKHdcWI</a>

bouli77

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »
this is anything but high definition to me. the vocoder and talk box voices are very generic, it's really my main gripe with the album. the voices are terrible, no funk, no energy, boy do the days of "harder better faster stronger" seem remote. there are few experimental elements. the songs with Pharrell, and Giorgio Moroder are underwhelming, and the slow paced songs are dull, as opposed to the ones on Discovery. I thought Get Lucky would be just an appetizer but it happens to be the best song of the record.

discovery really added a new twist to funk influences, with crazy songs like aerodynamics or harder better faster stronger. except for the song with Giorgio Moroder, the first song and Get Lucky there's not much noteworthy.

If we talk about funk-influenced records, I much prefer stuff Breakbot has put out over the last 4 years + artists like Shook or Bag Raiders.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but Doggmaster's album, Injection 2008), is a much better take on blending funk influences with a modern sound, and the talkbox playing is superior. and the budget is way inferior too.

I was talking about the new Daft Punk album with my homie yesterday and I was like "i can't believe they'd drop something average like that" and he told me "well it's leaked so they could very well be fucking with the fans by not giving the actual album", lol.

Matty

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 08:43:53 AM »
i love breakbot and all that stuff but this sounds way more true to the old school analog sound than anything recent i can think of. isn't quite as upbeat as i may have liked, but the gentle touch is really refreshing next to all this really loud, compressed music.

i kinda agree on some of the vocals, i don't feel like they always add as much as they could. but give me a whole album of nile rodgers over these sweet sounding drums any day.

vinyl rip is out in the wild 8)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:48:53 AM by Matty »

jeanmiche777

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »
Top notch production, wow. This one is a grower for sure, you can tell that there is a lot of attention to details. I know what I will bump this summer

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 10:21:24 AM »
i cant find a working link for shit

Matty

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 10:43:35 AM »
i cant find a working link for shit

just sent one that's up. grouprip should appear in the next day or two, will be a lot clearer than what's currently about. the vinyl rip i mentioned is total crap, whoever recorded it has no idea.

edit: try to find a 320 version, CR group rip has skips.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:58:56 PM by Matty »

jeanmiche777

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 06:28:45 PM »
this is anything but high definition to me. the vocoder and talk box voices are very generic, it's really my main gripe with the album. the voices are terrible, no funk, no energy, boy do the days of "harder better faster stronger" seem remote. there are few experimental elements. the songs with Pharrell, and Giorgio Moroder are underwhelming, and the slow paced songs are dull, as opposed to the ones on Discovery. I thought Get Lucky would be just an appetizer but it happens to be the best song of the record.

discovery really added a new twist to funk influences, with crazy songs like aerodynamics or harder better faster stronger. except for the song with Giorgio Moroder, the first song and Get Lucky there's not much noteworthy.

If we talk about funk-influenced records, I much prefer stuff Breakbot has put out over the last 4 years + artists like Shook or Bag Raiders.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but Doggmaster's album, Injection 2008), is a much better take on blending funk influences with a modern sound, and the talkbox playing is superior. and the budget is way inferior too.

I was talking about the new Daft Punk album with my homie yesterday and I was like "i can't believe they'd drop something average like that" and he told me "well it's leaked so they could very well be fucking with the fans by not giving the actual album", lol.

I think this record is way more experimental than the ones you listed (and I really really like Breakbot).Personally I think the vocoder on Lose Yourself to Dance is amazing. We kept hearing about the record being influenced by the 70's, and it's true, but it's not only rooted in funk. There's a lot of different stuff, and that's probably something that a lot of listeners won't like. The sounds are just so different from one song to another. I really think they pushed the envelope and mannnnnn was I waiting for that type of album. I'm so tired of the same dance songs on the radio. I'm just so glad that this is the biggest release of the year and that it is so polished and musically DIFFERENT. Let's hope it will show some record labels that you can do something musical and different and have big success.

jeanmiche777

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 09:05:32 PM »
That album is really amazing. It really is. In before skilled musicians becomes the featuring you WANT to have on your single. Mannnnnn imagine all these (feat. Nile Rodgers) songs god damn!!!

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »
i enjoyed the album alot this is the first daft punk cd ive digested from front to back (voluntarily)

do i need to say no homo after that? it felt kinda funny.

Matty

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »
good to hear you liked it petey. been in constant rotation all week and and it's starting to reach some epic heights. there's so much going on its quite remarkable. very evocative of the vibes they wanted to capture. and the way the basslines are sounding is some shizzle, that took a really long time to do apparently 8)

Elano The One And Only

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2013, 11:58:59 PM »
i think this is just as fresh as discovery, but a totally different sound. going back to the roots. i can't remember anyone producing a record like this in the modern era that sounded so good. like a high definition take on classic funk and soul, blending in electronic and experimental elements. even on the webrip the analog style recorded comes through strong. organic, disco shit 8)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 02:02:06 AM »
good to hear you liked it petey. been in constant rotation all week and and it's starting to reach some epic heights. there's so much going on its quite remarkable. very evocative of the vibes they wanted to capture. and the way the basslines are sounding is some shizzle, that took a really long time to do apparently 8)

could you compile some of there more groovy shit for me if u have the time matty? i wouldnt know where to start. there catalogs pretty deep.

im really enjoying this album

Matty

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2013, 05:12:13 PM »

could you compile some of there more groovy shit for me if u have the time matty? i wouldnt know where to start. there catalogs pretty deep.

im really enjoying this album

i will put some stuff together, but its only a few albums so a lot of the stuff is well known. 'discovery' is pretty much great in its entirity, front to back. there's some other stuff like breakbot and these future disco compilations that are complimentary to the sounds on here.

there's now a nice vinyl rip of this one out there, easily the best version. all the digital mastered versions are compressed with less dynamic range, which is still good, but the drums lose quite a bit. the vinyl edition is really where its at.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2013, 12:39:47 AM »
seriously matty for all the electronic/dance/house music i was exposed to was during the rave scene days  and for obvious reasons i wont go into here i cant remember much of it at all. ive even met some cool ass cats likebad boy bill, dj irene,paul oakenflold and that arman van held dude etc and didnt even know who they were lmao

the only song i was really familiar with is there song "around the world" and the song kanye bit for stronger so im sure ill enjoy it. i thought there music would be  would be a little more techno ish so i always avoided it.