Author Topic: While we were all looking at Boston and West, Texas... Congress did what?  (Read 694 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
They passed CISPA

By Chris O'Brien
April 18, 2013, 12:57 p.m.
The House of Representatives passed a controversial cybersecurity bill as expected on Thursday, moving toward a possible confrontation with the Senate and White House.

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act of 2013, or CISPA, passed by a vote of 288 to 127, with 17 abstentions.

The bill makes it easier for companies to share information with other companies and the government about cyber attacks. Large tech companies pushed hard for the legislation amid escalating cyber attacks, calling it a necessary step to shore up their defenses.

MORE: Cybersecurity bill pits tech giants against privacy activists

The companies threw their lobbyists and pocketbooks behind the bill, according to an analysis by the Sunlight Foundation: "Sunlight's review of lobbying disclosures from the last session of Congress in Influence Explorer shows that backers of the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act had $605 million in lobbying expenditures from 2011 through the third quarter of last year compared to $4.3 million spent by opponents of the bill."

Proponents praised the vote in Congress.

"CISPA creates the necessary flexibility for businesses to share security information without fear of legal or regulatory liability," said Ken Wasch, president of the Software & Information Industry Assn., in a statement. "Specifically, CISPA would protect companies and organizations that share threat and vulnerability information with the government from legal liability and the risk of lawsuits, while also providing a critical exemption from antitrust laws that currently discourage information exchanges between private companies."

By contrast, critics waged an online campaign attempting to create a groundswell of opposition. They argued that the bill made it too easy for companies and the government to gain access to private data, absolved companies of too much legal liability, and failed to ensure that civilian rather than military agencies would facilitate the sharing of information.

But those opposition efforts fell short.

"Throughout the debate on CISPA, I have sought to ensure that the privacy of Americans was protected, a goal that can easily be accomplished while still allowing for increased sharing of cybersecurity information," said Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Burbank), in a statement. "And while progress has been made, the bill still lacks any requirement that private companies remove the personal information of Americans before sharing cybersecurity information with the government or other companies."

The issue now moves to the Senate, where a companion bill has yet to be introduced. But earlier this week, the Obama administration made clear its promise to veto the House version of CISPA unless greater provisions were made to protect privacy and civil liberties.

"We're obviously disappointed in the outcome of the House vote on CISPA, but Internet freedom and privacy advocates have reason to be optimistic," said David Segal, executive director of Demand Progress. "We're buoyed by President Obama's veto threat, which prioritizes our concerns about privacy and the potential sharing of domestic, civilian data with the military.  And we have strong allies in the Senate, in the form of Al Franken, Bernie Sanders, Ron Wyden, Rand Paul and others: We're prepared to make a strong stand for privacy rights in that chamber, if similar legislation even sees the light of day there."

Matty

anyone surprised? and if these bombs were the result of 'domestic terrorism' get ready for the final nails in the coffin for any semblance of 'freedom' or 'privacy'.

Hack Wilson - real

it passed???  dammit

Matty

remember it helps the government to have a well integrated police state before the economy has its most serious decline. the current IMF$ system is pretty much on its last legs these days. countries like the US, UK, the centre of the paper empire, have the most to lose.

Jack Trippa 3z company ho

LMFAO at you stupid conspiracy theorists! Paranoid ass motherfuckers! You think your government would do this? HAHAHAHA I bet you idiots believe in aliens too! *eats rare twinkie purchased for $300 on Craigslist while watching Anderson Cooper 360*

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
LMFAO at you stupid conspiracy theorists! Paranoid ass motherfuckers! You think your government would do this? HAHAHAHA I bet you idiots believe in aliens too! *eats rare twinkie purchased for $300 on Craigslist while watching Anderson Cooper 360*

Check my post, I don't believe in any of that BS, but I do think congress is very opportunistic and they will act for their own good during these times.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2013/04/16/177496734/how-congress-quietly-overhauled-its-insider-trading-law

Check this out. You mean to tell me that you CAN'T get a bipartisan bill on background checks for guns, or immigration reform after the Latinos just kicked out a ton of Republicans, BUT you can get a bipartisan bill that will allow congress members to participate in insider trading. Not a conspiracy, opportunistic.

Hack Wilson - real

so aliens don't exist?

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Yes M Dogg the government would never do anything nefarious, there is no malevolence, they love people and care for them, that's why they errr use drone strikes, that's why they errrr declared you are scum who have no rights whenever they decide you don't deserve your priviliges, that's why errr it was documented that the FBI gave the bombs to the the terrorists at the first world trade centre bombings, that's why errrr Karzai has accused them of false flag attacks, that's why errrr SAS soldiers were arrested having been caught shooting people dressed up in police uniforms, that's why errrr P2 was the secret masonic lodge under which there was essentially a second italian government comprised of judges, politicians, senior cops, who planned out bombings to blame on communists (operation gladio). That's why errrrr.....if you look at case after case after case of so called thwarted terrorist attacks the leader of the group has been an informant for the FBI.

I know that sooner or later you will stand by side with Obama over everything, Executive Order will suddenly find a place in your heart as you wipe clean any notions that he is abusing his position of power. Heck, the constitution is a relic, burn it down, that's not treason that's progress right? Yay to no rights, no to rights, I get it now.

However you are right though, government wouldn't orchestrate, provocateur, carry out something like this and nor would black ops damnit, that doesn't exist it's a conspiracy theory and anyway they don't operate in America and besides which they just wouldn't, because my president is black damnit.

Meanwhile this is what else that group of perverts/criminal sociopaths and psychopaths did....

Obama Signs Law Gutting Insider Trading Regulations for Congress

by Peter Schroeder

President Obama quietly signed legislation Monday that rolled back a provision of the STOCK Act that required high-ranking federal employees to disclose their financial information online.

The White House announced Monday that the president had signed S. 716, which repealed a requirement of the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act requiring the disclosure, which had previously been delayed several times by Congress.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:48:26 PM by virtuoso »

Check my post, I don't believe in any of that BS, but I do think congress is very opportunistic and they will act for their own good during these times.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2013/04/16/177496734/how-congress-quietly-overhauled-its-insider-trading-law

Check this out. You mean to tell me that you CAN'T get a bipartisan bill on background checks for guns, or immigration reform after the Latinos just kicked out a ton of Republicans, BUT you can get a bipartisan bill that will allow congress members to participate in insider trading. Not a conspiracy, opportunistic.

You don't believe anything that your tv doesn't tell you. You live in candy land.

so aliens don't exist?

No you idiot. Has Anderson Cooper ever said they exist?!?! NO HE HASN'T!!! So they don't fucking exist! Get it through your head!!!!

Hack Wilson - real

so aliens don't exist?

No you idiot. Has Anderson Cooper ever said they exist?!?! NO HE HASN'T!!! So they don't fucking exist! Get it through your head!!!!

who?