Author Topic: So Xzibit wrote Snoop's verse on Lay Low and Kurupt..  (Read 3208 times)

Remedy360

Re: So Xzibit wrote Snoop's verse on Lay Low and Kurupt..
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2013, 07:49:09 AM »
Crooked ghost wrote for Kurupt in "tha row" era too

so even the Kingpin isn't above ghost writers adly

I remember Crook talking about this but always wondered about it. Like, what the fuck did he write? Kurupt dropped some weak-ass songs on that era, and even the better stuff was pretty underwhelming lyrically. Dude was holding out on him lol

People take credit for a hook idea or part of a verse. Dude was probably in the room and chipped in a couple times. Kurupt probably does it too

I don't think I'd brag about any involvement in Kurupts second stint with "Tha Row"  :D

IMO "Against Tha Grain" was decent...sure his lyrics were nothing special but his delivery was still vicious and the production was underrated

Yeah ATG had some cool songs, but like you said it was carried by Kurupt's presence and the production. I meant to talk more about lyrics specifically, if he did have a ghostwriter during that time they did a horrible job.

Okka

« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »
"Against Tha Grain" should've been released with songs from the "ATG" EP. Would've been classic.

Sccit

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »
Doggfather was probably more like first take stuff

Yeah, that definitely sums up what it sounded like...

Even though I know a lot of people don't like the songs Snoop did with the Neptunes,
I did think they were good at getting a good vocal take from him, he sounds more
lively on the tracks he did with them than some of his other stuff.

You're right, Snoop sounded perfect on a few songs that deserved to blow up. It's a shame in these days of so called producers makin beats on their bedroom PCs, ain't no one producing the artists vocal like that now. People forgot what a producer role should be

realest spit ever spat (by will)...and thats why i produced the entire "VIOLENCE OF THA LAMBZ"

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »
tha doggfather is one of snoop's best albums.

In hindsight, yes, but when it first came out it sure didn't seem like it would be!
[/quote]

True. Albums like Da Game is to Be Dold, Malice, and R&G obviously go to the bottom of the list therefor pushing Doggfather up.

I never liked the album though. I love dark albums but this album wasn't necessarily dark it was dull and uninspired. He no longer had that youthful energy he had on Doggystyle. The album had no direction, and Snoop really sounded like he was already exhausted from the rap game. It's too bad songs like Street Life, Midnight Love, Head Doctor, etc got plucked.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Remedy360

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2013, 03:36:28 AM »
"Against Tha Grain" should've been released with songs from the "ATG" EP. Would've been classic.

Eh, no Vaseline Pt II was cool for what it was but I wasn't really impressed by the rest of it.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2013, 05:37:11 AM »
True. Albums like Da Game is to Be Dold, Malice, and R&G obviously go to the bottom of the list therefor pushing Doggfather up.

I never liked the album though. I love dark albums but this album wasn't necessarily dark it was dull and uninspired. He no longer had that youthful energy he had on Doggystyle. The album had no direction, and Snoop really sounded like he was already exhausted from the rap game. It's too bad songs like Street Life, Midnight Love, Head Doctor, etc got plucked.

I think as well, because we had only ever heard Snoop over Dre production up until around 94, no one really realized that on the Chronic
and Doggystyle we were hearing Snoop at his very, very best, but everyone just assumed that was "normal" Snoop...
So on Tha Doggfather, we actually got "normal" Snoop who didn't have someone to give him 5 star production and get
him to do the vocals over and who only ever used his very best vocal takes and never let us hear any of his wacker verses.

I very clearly remember a quote from Snoop in an interview around the time of Doggystyle's release where he said something along the lines of,
"we made a lot of wack shit, but y'all just didn't hear any of it," referring to how Dre would only go with the very best bits and pieces they recorded.

So on Tha Doggfather, it felt like Snoop fell off, but really it was just because we heard way more of his mediocre stuff and takes where
he didn't push himself or trim away the weaker stuff.

To really make another true Snoop Dogg classic, you'd obviously need top-class production, but I think a big part would be that you'd
need to have someone pick out with him the best parts of his verses and the best vocal takes and how Dre told him to half-sing
parts of his verses and stuff like that...

The big problem is, back then, Snoop was just coming into the game, so he would listen to everything Dre
told him to do, but now he's "Big Snoop Dogg" (or Lion or whatever) and is "the Boss" it's probably way harder directing him in
the studio because he's the big established star now and won't want someone telling him how to do it.

Sccit

« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2013, 01:31:56 PM »

I think as well, because we had only ever heard Snoop over Dre production up until around 94, no one really realized that on the Chronic
and Doggystyle we were hearing Snoop at his very, very best, but everyone just assumed that was "normal" Snoop...
So on Tha Doggfather, we actually got "normal" Snoop who didn't have someone to give him 5 star production and get
him to do the vocals over and who only ever used his very best vocal takes and never let us hear any of his wacker verses.

I very clearly remember a quote from Snoop in an interview around the time of Doggystyle's release where he said something along the lines of,
"we made a lot of wack shit, but y'all just didn't hear any of it," referring to how Dre would only go with the very best bits and pieces they recorded.

So on Tha Doggfather, it felt like Snoop fell off, but really it was just because we heard way more of his mediocre stuff and takes where

To really make another true Snoop Dogg classic, you'd obviously need top-class production, but I think a big part would be that you'd
need to have someone pick out with him the best parts of his verses and the best vocal takes and how Dre told him to half-sing

The big problem is, back then, Snoop was just coming into the game, so he would listen to everything Dre
told him to do, but now he's "Big Snoop Dogg" (or Lion or whatever) and is "the Boss" it's probably way harder directing him in
the studio because he's the big established star now and won't want someone telling him how to do it.

if snoop let me produce his next abum, i'd bring yall a classic...i dont really make beats, but when i oversee a project i take what i've learned from dre and perfect everything to it's full potential

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »

if snoop let me produce his next abum, i'd bring yall a classic...i dont really make beats, but when i oversee a project i take what i've learned from dre and perfect everything to it's full potential
snoop needs niggas who will tell him the truth about his shit. even when he didn't have dre he dropped some dope shit cause he had fred wreck, soopa, battlecat,etc. and niggas like tray deee around. when he lost tray deee he really lost it.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2013, 01:39:59 PM »
damn it's crazy how snoop went from bein' the ghostwriter to bein' ghostwritten for he got as much ghostwritten shit as eazy e if not more.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

WestSideDon

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2016, 07:07:27 AM »
Damn listened to that interview again and I'm still dissappointed that this is actually xzbits verse...
I'm sure snoop couldve came up with something equally dope, he had some dope lyrics on the album but I believe they rushed the album process after suge leaked the advance version on his website...

Okka

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
damn it's crazy how snoop went from bein' the ghostwriter to bein' ghostwritten for he got as much ghostwritten shit as eazy e if not more.

What? Almost every verse from Eazy was written by somebody else.

WestSideDon

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2016, 01:01:08 PM »
Just watched that interview with Snoop & Strong Arm Steady again, and I had already forgotten it but Krondon actually wrote "Criminal Set" by Xzbit....
Crazy to see how so many classic songs came from artists switching verses back n forth with each other..