Author Topic: Daz Dillinger - RRAGB - Thoughts?  (Read 1550 times)

DeeezNuuuts83

Re: Daz Dillinger - RRAGB - Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 03:57:49 PM »
That first beat after the intro is G as fuck.

TidyKris

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
I like "Oh No" from that album

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 05:04:54 PM »
raw is daz best solo but this is almost as good.

thx god for my life sounds real stupid 15 years later, actually it sounded pretty stupid then.

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 10:21:41 PM »
i'd say it's a near classic, with "raw" bein on the same level...

may very well be a west coast classic, tho

Jack Trippa 3z company ho

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 05:51:13 AM »
Def had some classic songs. I remember hearin OG's for the first time and was blown away...classic death row sound. I prolly listened to that song 100x when I got that cd lol. Initiated was the same way...joints w WC and Too Short were great too. Haven't listened to it in a while, in sure I'm forgetting some.

RAW is dope as hell...On The Grind is 10 outta 10 to me.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 07:58:41 AM »
West Coast classic and best Daz album for sure - unfortunately, it was released in a time when West Coast rap became played out and "G-Funk era" was only a memory... it was probably the last record with that classic Death Row sound from top to bottom.

Exactly.

..."In California" sounded like a sure-fire hit to me.  The album had the same level of quality that we had come to expect from Death Row releases of their golden era.  The label was crumbling but you wouldn't know it from this album.   This album deserved to go platinum yet it only managed to sell 300,000 copies.   By the time of it's release the rap buying public was too busy buying up the latest No Limit trash and had forgotten about the West
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »

"Raw" may be a personal favorite of yours, but objectively speaking, there is no way you can say it is on the same level as RRAGB.   Tracks like "O.G." and "Initiated" and others were recorded during Death Row's golden era.   Kurupt still sounds like he's in his prime, and he's all over this album.  Daz was still on fire with the production.  With Death Row crumbling it was like Daz against the world and it was a heroic effort on his part.  It was Death Row's final stand.  This album probably took years to complete.

Daz probably made the Raw album over the course of a few weeks.  It had some nice sounds but it's fools gold.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 08:06:13 AM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2012 and 13' »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 08:06:42 AM »
West Coast classic and best Daz album for sure - unfortunately, it was released in a time when West Coast rap became played out and "G-Funk era" was only a memory... it was probably the last record with that classic Death Row sound from top to bottom.

Exactly.

..."In California" sounded like a sure-fire hit to me.  The album had the same level of quality that we had come to expect from Death Row releases of their golden era.  The label was crumbling but you wouldn't know it from this album.   This album deserved to go platinum yet it only managed to sell 300,000 copies.   By the time of it's release the rap buying public was too busy buying up the latest No Limit trash and had forgotten about the West

No limit was tight in their day. Beats by the pound / KLC etc were great producers. Mac, mystikal, fiend, silk (yeah sometimes it sounded like he couldn't hear the beat when he rhymed), soulja slim, etc.

They had a lot of classic songs.

Sccit

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 08:31:52 AM »

"Raw" may be a personal favorite of yours, but objectively speaking, there is no way you can say it is on the same level as RRAGB.   Tracks like "O.G." and "Initiated" and others were recorded during Death Row's golden era.   Kurupt still sounds like he's in his prime, and he's all over this album.  Daz was still on fire with the production.  With Death Row crumbling it was like Daz against the world and it was a heroic effort on his part.  It was Death Row's final stand.  This album probably took years to complete.

Daz probably made the Raw album over the course of a few weeks.  It had some nice sounds but it's fools gold.

Naah, "RAW" was a great album, maybe a lil too gangsta and less commercial for ur liking, but it had that authentic dpgc sound ala "Tha streetz"... It's right up there with "RRGB", and I remember when it dropped, the consensus opinion was that it was his best album. To me, they're both great in different ways.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
It sold that much because marketing sucked for it, and the big guest features weren't pushed in promotion either.  At that time, every album, Death Row or not, that featured Pac had a nice big sticker that said "featuring 2Pac," and it wasn't really highlighted in any ads.

Daz's name at the time wasn't very known to the general public (unless it's referenced in "Daz and Kurupt" or "Tha Dogg Pound"), plus his name switch from Dat Nigga Daz to Daz Dillinger didn't help either.  The album cover copying Marvin Gaye's "In Our Lifetime" was a cool concept, but it wasn't a good cover, especially with the album title being up top (and a dumb title at that) with his name being at the bottom.

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 10:38:43 AM »
It sold that much because marketing sucked for it, and the big guest features weren't pushed in promotion either.  At that time, every album, Death Row or not, that featured Pac had a nice big sticker that said "featuring 2Pac," and it wasn't really highlighted in any ads.

Daz's name at the time wasn't very known to the general public (unless it's referenced in "Daz and Kurupt" or "Tha Dogg Pound"), plus his name switch from Dat Nigga Daz to Daz Dillinger didn't help either.  The album cover copying Marvin Gaye's "In Our Lifetime" was a cool concept, but it wasn't a good cover, especially with the album title being up top (and a dumb title at that) with his name being at the bottom.

Initiated should have been the lead single. I think "In California" was if I remember correctly...not a bad song, Daz solo w/ Jewell. But yeah anything with 2pac on a single at the time would have blown. Follow up w/ OGs and it could have easily went gold if not platinum.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 12:39:29 PM »
Initiated should have been the lead single. I think "In California" was if I remember correctly...not a bad song, Daz solo w/ Jewell. But yeah anything with 2pac on a single at the time would have blown. Follow up w/ OGs and it could have easily went gold if not platinum.
I don't know if I'd agree with Initiated being the LEAD single, but it definitely should've been a focus of the album in terms of marketing.  It wouldn't have been a problem.  Even with Pac and Kadafi being dead at that time, the Outlawz were still technically signed to Death Row, so I don't think they'd have had a problem with making guest appearances in a music video, except for Fatal (who didn't sign and wasn't in LA anymore anyway).

On that topic, Jack Move would've been a dope song to put on this also.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 01:58:43 PM »
raw was dope as fuck whos knoccin at my door >>>>

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 04:54:58 PM »

Naah, "RAW" was a great album, maybe a lil too gangsta and less commercial for ur liking, but it had that authentic dpgc sound ala "Tha streetz"... It's right up there with "RRGB", and I remember when it dropped, the consensus opinion was that it was his best album. To me, they're both great in different ways.

nah homie I don't care which album was more commercial, and you think RAW is more gangsta??.  

How can RAW be more gangsta than RRAGB?  RRAGB is gangsta as fuck!!  Right from the jump you got an opening track "Gang Banging Ass Criminals" that you can not fuck with when it comes to GANGSTA!!  You got Tray Dee on that shit and Kurupt in his prime that joint is as gangsta as it gets and that's just the first joint!!   It gets even more gangsta as it goes, You can't fuck with "O.G."... that is the old gangsta Snoop and Nate comes hard as fuck!! Then you talk about "Initiated" and so on homie I don't see how the album could of came any harder..

You know I respect your opinion more than anyone on the forum, but we gone have to agree to disagree on this one, homie...

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 04:59:52 PM »

You make some good points about the albums marketability, but I think you still miss the point.

I agree that the title and cover art could of been better from a marketing stand point.  But as a fan I felt the cover art was dope, and that the title was pretty accurate considering the content of the album.  He could of titled it something more marketable like "Last Man Standing" (On Death Row) but he didn't write any songs about that for the album.

The album didn't fail because of marketing it failed because the video for "In California" was pretty weak, and MTV and BET didn't support it like they should of.  Also, the South and No Limit were dominating the market at the time, and people had forgot about the West Coast.